Author Topic: Digital Photography Gallery, Summer 2011  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Digital Photography Gallery, Summer 2011
In the beginning of this summer (in May 2011) I got my hands on a new camera; a Canon Powershot SX130IS. While it is by no means a DSLR, it's no slouch either, with good objective quality, 12x optical zoom at one end and rather wide angle at the other; twelve megapixel grid and, in general, rather good image quality.

However, this was not enough for me, the hifist that I am, so I downloaded and got CHDK installed on the camera's memory card. This enabled me to take RAW shots and do the image processing on a computer, which allows a bit higher quality compression-wise and also gives a few more opportunities in editing the colour balance of the images.

Here are some of the best shots I have taken during this summer.

From Helsinki:

Some beetle and an Old World Swallowtail butterfly. I've been photographing lots of insects since they offer a good way to utilize the macro optics of the camera's objective. There are a lot of them...

Some unknown Lycanid butterfly.

Some lycanid, a Small Tortoiseshell, and a Lesser Marbled Fritillary.

Again some Lycanidae species of blue variety...

...and some gold-winged Lycanidae mating.

Spider's web (unknown species) lit by the morning sun, and a bumblebee.

Some shots of a dragonfly, most likely a Common Hawker.

Red Admiral.

And some unknown species of dragonflies, will do a bit of research to figure out what these are. The first, bright yellow one was a very docile and easy to photograph, as you can see.

This one was slightly darker and gave a hump-backed appearance. Again, will find out what exactly it is.

I might update these with photos I've forgotten. Enjoy!
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken