Author Topic: PCS2 User to User Help  (Read 110004 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
why does pcs2 toss up a "instance_gemometry not found for subobject detail-0" error whenever i try to import something in dae format?

You forgot to reset x-form and collapse all before exporting.

theres nothing to collapse but il try resetting xform, also does this thing want poly or mesh?
Most likely something got move/rotate/scaled (or the pivot point did).  Those require resetting x-forms too.

i found the problem, some parts of the model were animated for some reason.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So the newer OpenCollada doesn't work with PCS2, and the older ColladaMax OSS doesn't work with the latest Max, that's about what I'm hearing?  Sounds like people shouldn't be upgrading Max just yet then.  I know some Diaspora devs were complaining about the new version too.  Other than that, I don't have any more ideas.  So the older Feeling ColladaMax doesn't work with 2010 either, correct?

The only problem I've seen so far is it's not linking the materials to the geometries correctly.  My little patch app should fix that.

My only real question then is, is the exporter wrong or is the PCS2 Collada Importer 'most make an update'?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Well if I had to take a guess I'd say it's a little bit of both.  The exporter probably hasn't been updated to work with MAX 10 yet.  PCS2 has always had some issues with importing/exporting dae but you can usually work around them. 

Oh and from what I'm hearing MAX 10 is a piece of junk ans slow as heck right now anyway so you might want to stick with 9 for just that reason. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Well if I had to take a guess I'd say it's a little bit of both.  The exporter probably hasn't been updated to work with MAX 10 yet.  PCS2 has always had some issues with importing/exporting dae but you can usually work around them. 

Oh and from what I'm hearing MAX 10 is a piece of junk ans slow as heck right now anyway so you might want to stick with 9 for just that reason. 
I'll confirm that, Max 10 is slow as hell. I'm kinda stuck with it tho, and I don't use it for modeling anyways. So I'm not suffering too badly.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

The issue also affects the much older Max 9 too (not 2009, just 9.0)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Ummm excuse me, could FSF get a hand with his DAE problem?

Like he says, when he exports a model from Blender (2.48) to DAE, some subobjects disappear and they are replaced by debris parts. The result, a beautiful ship (and the model is beautiful btw) turns into a giant jigsaw puzzle abomination. Any ideas whats happening and how to fix?
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
If you have a problem with the exporter/importer, clearly explain it, preferably creating a small contained example of just the problem, here. If you want PCS2 to progress in general post your support here.

I have offered to fix the problem with intermediate entities between node and geometry more than once if someone were to provide an example of it...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
The following one isn't strictly a PCS2 issue, but it's a conversion issue anyway. Upon exporting from Blender (2.48) to DAE, some subobjects disappear and others are replaced by debris parts. Anyone had that before?

What is your naming convention?  Make sure all detail objects start with detail and all debris objects start with debris.  detail0 detail1 etc work best as it will automatically set up the header info for those.  It does for anything beginning with debris.  Anything that isn't a subobject and doesn't begin with either debris or detail will not be imported.  A detail0 or detail-0 seems to be a requirement.  It wont import say debris unless one exists.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Yes, I know that, it's not the first ship I'm converting. The problem is in the Blender DAE exporter, not in the PCS2 DAE importer. It's the DAE itself that's corrupted.
Not one Blender user encountered this issue before?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I've had it happen with Max as well but it's usually something I forgot to do like unhide the objects.  Seem to be quite a few blender users on so I can't believe it hasn't happened to someone else yet. 

Offline Water

Yes, I know that, it's not the first ship I'm converting. The problem is in the Blender DAE exporter, not in the PCS2 DAE importer. It's the DAE itself that's corrupted.
Not one Blender user encountered this issue before?
If you PM a link to the Blend, I'll take a look at it.

Offline Water

Okay, you got it. Thanks :)
Exported to dae and it appears to be ok. (Using Blender 2.49b)

Just  checking a few details. It's harder without the textures.

Your export - All debris and lods - ok?
Detail 0 only is borked? - several items replaced with debris items.

Upgraded to 2.49b, exported (DAE 1.4, right?) but it's still the same mess here. Debris and LODs themselves are okay, but subobjects are messed up.

Offline Water

Upgraded to 2.49b, exported (DAE 1.4, right?) but it's still the same mess here. Debris and LODs themselves are okay, but subobjects are messed up.
I'll do a bit more looking. What version of Python do you have?

A quick test. Save the Blend under a new name.
Delete all the turrets and export.
Reload - Keep the turrets and delete Detail0 sub-objects and export.

Python 2.6.4;

Reload - Keep the turrets and delete Detail0 sub-objects and export.
Eh, the turrets are detail0 subobjects, so I'm not sure what you mean there...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:22:05 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline Water

Python 2.6;
Eh, the turrets are detail0 subobjects, so I'm not sure what you mean there...
For that test, delete the subobjects that aren't  turrets.

Okay, no, still the same. Turret09 still gets replaced by the mesh of debris04.

Offline Water

Okay, no, still the same. Turret09 still gets replaced by the mesh of debris04.
Now that you have 2.49b, could you do a full export to dae and then save a new Blend. I need to try an export with the same items selected as you. My export changes the ordering of the items. Pack all the textures into the blend and then zip it and the dae. File > External Data > Pack into Blend File

For the record: the Blender installer seems not to overwrite scripts etc. from the previous version. The latest Collada exporter, from version 2.49b, worked fine.