Author Topic: PCS2 User to User Help  (Read 109986 times)

Re: PCS2 User to User Help
So this is probably just small potatoes, and really just a nag. I use the Blender-collada-PCS203 route, and everytime I get into PCS the thrusters are always way off. Usually way low and too far forward from their original place. All other points (subs, gunpoints) are in place perfectly. It's not a huge deal to move them in PCS, but it would save some time.

If the thrusters are attached to a subsystem, then the helper and thrusters must be located at the subsystem's (0,0,0).  If there is no subsystem then they must be centered on the hull (detail0)'s (0,0,0).
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
anyone know offhand what version of wxwidgets is needed to compile pcs2?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
So this is probably just small potatoes, and really just a nag. I use the Blender-collada-PCS203 route, and everytime I get into PCS the thrusters are always way off. Usually way low and too far forward from their original place. All other points (subs, gunpoints) are in place perfectly. It's not a huge deal to move them in PCS, but it would save some time.

If the thrusters are attached to a subsystem, then the helper and thrusters must be located at the subsystem's (0,0,0).  If there is no subsystem then they must be centered on the hull (detail0)'s (0,0,0).

Hmmm. How do I change the center of an empty in blender? Or should I not use empties? If not, what should I use?
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

You should be able to just grab an empty and move it around in object mode.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
You should be able to just grab an empty and move it around in object mode.

I know... I think I misunderstood the first poster. Is "thrusters" (The empty that the others are parented to) supposed to be at the models center?
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

If there is no subsystem thruster then "thrusters" should be at the models center.

The "thruster" helper is the offset from the subsystem (or models) center to where the glow will appear.

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
If this is that annoying it may be possible to take helper transformations into account.

There is one thing I'd like to see... if you could order the turret numbering at least in the pcs2 view tree.  Having to hunt down a turret is annoying especially when there's a couple dozen of them and their not in order.  I don't care about internal pof just the gui.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Order is the least of the turret issues.  Turrets attach to subobject number so when you reconvert and do a global import they end up on the wrong subobjects.  Also rotation and axis are not imported from pof to pof. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

+1, both for Scooby and FUBAR. These issues are quite inconvenient indeed.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Accessing subobjects in Collada files is non-deterministic in terms of ordering. Obvious options are: explicitly sort them by name in some fashion; or create a new attribute on which to sort them. This would still likely produce a different ordering to the original. Perhaps it might be worth trying to match subobject names for turrets between the two files.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Yes name compare first then subobject if it doesn't exist would make sense. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Accessing subobjects in Collada files is non-deterministic in terms of ordering. Obvious options are: explicitly sort them by name in some fashion; or create a new attribute on which to sort them. This would still likely produce a different ordering to the original. Perhaps it might be worth trying to match subobject names for turrets between the two files.

I wasn't really asking for you to order them in while importing them, I'm basically asking when they get added to the PCS2's gui that they be in order.  Basically trim the first 6 letters off the name, convert to integer and and sort that onto the view tree.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I'm not sure that sorting subobjects for display is always desired. I'd prefer subobject ordering on import to be sensibly deterministic anyway.

Have you guys considered making a request/wish/problem list for the Collada importer/exporter?

Subobject(subsystems) node can stay they are now, that I don't mind, it's the turret node I'm interested in.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Sorting the subobjects should put the turrets in the same order for newly imported models.

I don't see any obvious reasons not to sort turrets in the gui though. Apart from having to go through the gui related code of course.

Edit: the build in my sig should import subobjects of a particular object in lexicographic order and might pay attention to helper transformations for thrusters.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:54:19 am by Spicious »

Seems global import is broken on this one. "PCS2 has encountered a problem and had to close" when I import from POF.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
So it is. I didn't touch anything related to it.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
spici .. register an SF.net account - i'll add you to the authorized users - and please check in your changes to HEAD
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Any chance we could get it moved to SF's git hosting?  Or at the very least Subversion?  The_E would like to do a little work on the PCS2 side I believe, and I also have a SF account already.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays