Author Topic: PCS2 User to User Help  (Read 110166 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:17:02 pm by Kazan »
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Re: PCS2 User to User Help
I hate to ask a question that has ostensibly already been answered in a tutorial, but what's a good poly count for a fighter or fighter-bomber size ship?  The tutorial recommended no more than 6000, but I notice that the fighter models in TBP and BtRL don't use nearly that many.  It seems like 6000 polys would be very taxing for a computer (obviously depending on the computer) in a Battle of Endor mission.

Thanks in advance.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
You can probably double that 6000 without a problem.  Those guidelines are a bit old and the TBP fighters even older.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Still, keeping the polycount low is usually a good idea, especially now that modellers can use normal maps to give their ships more detail without using model geometry.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Lodding becomes more important the higher the polycount goes.  A Battle of Endor style set far apart from each other wouldn't be THAT taxing provided aggressive lodding is done.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Not in terms of rendering anyway.  Then you'd just be running out of every other limit in the engine.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Ya you'd be hitting subsystem, ship count limits sooner.

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Highest-poly player-flyable ship in the 3.6.10 MVPs: The Zeus, Bomber09.pof, with a polycount... OVER 9000!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Highest-poly player-flyable ship in the 3.6.10 MVPs: The Zeus, Bomber09.pof, with a polycount... OVER 9000!
Heh, Vasudan Admiral...

Yikes.

I've just got my model up to about 1300 polygons.  So I guess the only problem I really have now is polygon envy.

Thanks very much!

Let's see... my excalibur mk2  sits at a little over 15,000 @ lod 0, 1,600 @ lod 1, 500 @ lod2, 300 @ lod 3

I'm having an issue with non-vertical multiparts on the high-poly Akrotiri. They're basically firing into the ship, instead of outwards. There seems to be nothing wrong with the vectors though. Download contains mod for testing, blendfile.

Just quick glancing....
I'm looking at turret 12

$uvec:0.8658934, -0.4999239, 0.01745261
$fvec:0.2389073, 0.4439489, 0.8636159

Try this for uvec:
-0.8658934, -0.4999239, 0.01745261

Anything to the port on the X is negative, star is positive

Huh. Hmm. Reversing the signs of the X-component of the uvec on all six turrets pretty much fixed it, though (at least) turret13 still rotates about the wrong axes.
So basically, the uvec-fvec X-direction is the reverse of the "normal" X-direction? With turret normals, special points and everything else, port is positive X. Or is that just my PCS2 build?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
No it's the way it is and not just for uvec/fvec.  There are several things that flip the x axis.  Tabled thrusters comes to mind.  So basically fvec/uvec are as follows:

x,y,z in Max
-x,z,y in PCS2
x,z,y in uvec/fvec/table entries.  

On a side note I think I added this to the wiki entry a couple weeks ago.  
Nope that was for detail boxes http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Detail_box so there is another one with a flipped x axis. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:18:27 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Yet another crashing model,
I've done a 10 000 poly carrier for the ep mod, I've try to export it with just the detail-0 and nothing else just to try different new maps on it in game with all effects on (i mean normal map shine etc... )
The pcs2 part is OK , no error, i pof it, load it in freespace (f3 labs) but yet again the game crash when creating the ibx files.
Last time i use to have error in the model, but this time I've been careful on it and I've made an stl check under  3dsmax2008 and i have 0 error.
Did i hit some kind of limit ? (poly per object?) as the ship has been built as on object without subobject.

I don't know yet if the problems come from my laptop as my main computer ran into fire last week  :(
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Try the model using a recent nightly build. There was a change in the model interpretation code that upped poly limits for subobjects considerably.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Hey! you make my day you know?

Ok that works now, that's great :)
It counterbalance my 1000€ computer loss  :nervous:
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Strangeness observed in 2.1.

Was working with Rga on some missiles. Exported out of Blender to DAE. DAE opens in 2.1 with correct dimensions. Saved to POF. Opened POF, and the dimensions were off. Was able to resolve only by then opening POF in 2.0.3 and directly saving again.

Any ideas or things to test?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

no, i never met that, from my side i have for exemple all my firepoint (only with turrets) looking good in pcs2 but not ingame.
ship is placed @ 0,0,0 xform reseted and everything else remain placed well, i will try what you did to fix your model (pcs2.0.3 things)

Sorry, my reply do not help you at all
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)