Author Topic: PCS2 User to User Help  (Read 109514 times)

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It's... odd, I dunno.

In some cases, the multi-texture works but in other cases it doesn't. I'll have to try importing several texture cube with different settings to see what's going on.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Are you using 3ds Max?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ok, well then we need to clear up some terms.

A 'multi-texture' in 3ds max refers to what is actually called a 'multi-material'. It is a material that has several bitmaps (or other kinds of Max textures) assigned to poly groups. There's two ways to set this up.

1: Create the multi-material and add all your bitmaps, apply it to the object. Then go through and reassign poly group numbers for each poly.

2: Assign bitmaps to whatever polies you'd like on the object. Use the material grabber to get the object's material. You'll notice that it is made into a multi-material automatically.

Now, PCS2 (and FSO) does not understand the concept of a multi-material per-say. It assigns bitmap textures to the polygons based on your assignment in Max. Basically, a multi-material is 3ds Max's way of organizing textures into a single material for you to work with easily.

The_E seemed to think that you were asking about assigning multiple bitmaps to a single poly, which can't be done. (As far as I understand, that can't be done in any 3D app without specifically using composite type materials.)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Ah, ok. I've been using the first method you mentioned for the past couple of days, and have been getting good results. Thanks to all for the help.
chief1983

------------

Alright now I've got a question regarding docking points. I'm having problems with ships (containers) not docking correctly, they're offset by a considerable degree from where they should be connected.

Helper goes to the center of detail0, dockpoint goes to the center of Helper, and the dock points go where you want the dock to be, correct? 
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Alright now I've got a question regarding docking points. I'm having problems with ships (containers) not docking correctly, they're offset by a considerable degree from where they should be connected.

Helper goes to the center of detail0, dockpoint goes to the center of Helper, and the dock points go where you want the dock to be, correct?

Well, yes. However, as far as I know, it doesn't really matter as long as PCS2 shows them in the right locations. Here's how I set them up in max:

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Does the paths matter when you dock them via FRED?

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Does the paths matter when you dock them via FRED?

You mean when you set a ship as already being docked? No, shouldn't matter. But if the ship undocks, then it'll follow the docking path in reverse (or at least it's supposed to; dunno if the AI quirks relating to that have all been fixed).

Ya, I'm not worried about paths just yet.  Also what specific point on the dockie gets used? It's own docking point, the center of the model?

Hmmm easiest way to explain it:   Dockie's ??????  X,Y,Z=Docking Point X,Y,Z

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
there are two objects in each docking point, these are used to determine two things, the alignment of the docking point and the centre point between them is where the docking ships "meet".

so both ships use the selected docking points for each ship and the docking procedure ends when these docking points of the two ships touch.

I believe that when the two objects are too close together it can cause issues but i have had no problem with a separation of 1.0 or more
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Hmmm it seems docking points will never line up correctly between two ships, looks like you need to really fudge around with them  :blah:

Offline mariomix10

• "Pff, SCREW GRAVITY!" - Random Guy on Asdf, Tomska
Hey couldn't find a more appropriate topic to post in, but, I wanted to know, how the heck can I import my objects from blender into a pof file? :confused:
,Mariomix

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
el hombre vicio...

Offline mariomix10

• "Pff, SCREW GRAVITY!" - Random Guy on Asdf, Tomska
,Mariomix

Offline rhettro

Re: PCS2 User to User Help
Hey couldn't find a more appropriate topic to post in, but, I wanted to know, how the heck can I import my objects from blender into a pof file? :confused:

FreeSpace Freak's tut is still the gold standard: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=74591.0

Last time I checked, the latest build of PCS2 could take Collada format models from the latest version of Blender. In general you want your Blender object to be named "detail01" and you want to export the object as a Collada file (i.e. DAE).

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Re: PCS2 User to User Help
Let's assume that I have a stupid large model (cough*63mbdae*cough*), and I have gotten it as far as displaying in PCS2.
I have the latest build, as well as a couple previous...

Do not have said stupid large model rigged, nor do I want it rigged, just a detail0 going from dae to pof.

PCS2 simply doesn't move the progression bar after a point. It's not frozen according to the task manager,
but it's doing nothing but eating memory in 8 to 24K chunks. CPU usage is at a constant 25%.

Should I wait forever to see if it will finish, or can we believe this is simply too much for pcs2 to process?
ie. does PCS2 know when to quit if it's locked in a loop, or will it just eat ram into infinity...?

I can save to other formats like pmf and back to dae just fine.

For that matter, what's the largest object anyone has ever converted?
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken