Author Topic: Descendants, Dawn, and Dirge anticipation thread!  (Read 10387 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Descendants, Dawn, and Dirge anticipation thread!
NGTM-1R may have a legitimate concern... I just dont see how its related to Battuta hugging things
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
NGTM thought Battuta meant only the campaigns in this title's thread. He mentioned these three campaigns because otherwise his alliteration wouldn't work. :P
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well not from that specifically, but you'd think that perhaps a newcomer to the community or someone intent on releasing a campaign would second guess themselves when there's an anticipation thread for some 'big 3' campaigns, and believes from it that most of the attention would be directed on those campaigns and if that person released, it wouldn't get much attention and thus not really worth the effort.

Of course, to anyone with such concerns reading this, release something decent and as long as one community member plays it and likes it, the rest of the community will probably follow suit when you have the IRC channel as an extremely fast way of your campaign traveling by word of mouth.

EDIT: And TopAce beat me to it. Bastard. :P

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Even so, it is my belief that excellent campaigns like the ones mentioned here, or Spoon's Wings of Dawn (or WiH) don't stifle creativity but rather fan it. Showcases like these, that show the rest of us just what can be done using FS2's gameplay and the engine (and yes, even as a team member of BP, I am frequently astonished at the mad genius some guys possess) are necessary, and a damn good thing to have.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
What The E said
Also, I personally always found it a great help to take a look at how other FREDer's did their SEXP's to acomplish something.
I'm pretty darn sure Vassago&WiH will be a great help for many a FREDer

Well not from that specifically, but you'd think that perhaps a newcomer to the community or someone intent on releasing a campaign would second guess themselves when there's an anticipation thread for some 'big 3' campaigns, and believes from it that most of the attention would be directed on those campaigns and if that person released, it wouldn't get much attention and thus not really worth the effort.
Well that's how things go in the games industry.
Its best to set your release at a time when no other 'heavy hitters' will be coming out if you want as much attention as possible. Far too many good games have made that mistake... 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:53:13 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, I agree with that (AoA is what inspired me to learn FRED, and I subsequently learned FRED from opening AoA's missions up), but it's just something I could see someone doing.

Also, agreed with what ^Spoon said.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:59:20 am by Dilmah G »

Offline Axem

I hope other FREDders won't feel intimidated by these campaigns. They should realize that these three "D" campaigns, and even BP:AoA's first release were all one man ventures (not to mention Sync and Transcend). No big teams were required, everything in them was either made by themselves or taken from available assets around the community. Nothing stops you from making a great campaign if you're willing to see it through.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, I was inspired to learn FRED by Blue Planet's original release, a one-man job. Descendants of Sol is a one-man job. Wings of Dawn is a one-man job. Vassago's Dirge was a one-man job. Transcend...you get the idea.

Any newcomer paying the slightest bit of attention will be encouraged.

And I'm sorry but complaining about high quality releases is just reaching.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Hey, no-one was complaining.

I'm looking forward to playing one of these releases myself when I get home from work tonight.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hey, no-one was complaining.

what

do you read threads

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
You said high quality releases, Battuta. :P I was talking about the potential for the thread to be misinterpreted by newcomers, not to say it would always be misinterpreted, but it was something I could probably see after NGTM-1R brought it up.

Anyway, I'm far too tired for this, guys.