Author Topic: Hmmm...  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Just a thought: Could it be that Christian fundamentalism is the reason why half the world hates the US? I absolutely HATE Christian fundamentalists like Fred Phelps and Jerry Falwell. They must be the most annoying and intolerable people on this earth. I want to banish the whole lot of them to Antarctica.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
i doubt it... the US isn't all christians... only the majority is...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Originally posted by Hippo
i doubt it... the US isn't all christians... only the majority is...

And we run on the majority... therefore it would be seen as a christian country.
"I am about to drop the hammer and dispense some indiscriminant justice!" -Starcraft

"First rule of government spending, why build one for the price of one, when you can have two for twice the price." - S.R. Hadden (Contact)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I'm talking about fundie Christians. They're a minority, but an extremely vocal one, so there's no escape from their ramblings

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
Just a thought: Could it be that Christian fundamentalism is the reason why half the world hates the US? I absolutely HATE Christian fundamentalists like Fred Phelps and Jerry Falwell. They must be the most annoying and intolerable people on this earth. I want to banish the whole lot of them to Antarctica.

Ding! Ding! Ding! ...and the prize goes to Woolie Wool :)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Thats half the bloody problem.. People are allowed to be hypocrites..

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
[Southern Accent] You boys don't know what yer talkin' about!  We people in the se'outh (not where I live) t'aint all fundies.  Yaw watch yer mouth.  Them ragheads are 'gainst the US because they're a bunch of loonies wanthing satisfaection from them virgins in heaven.  Blame 'em![/Southern Accent]

There is absolute no problem with Christian fundamentalism.  I actually support it right out!  What I dislike is California as the leading banner in the race toward athiesm and liberalism.  "Free condoms for all 13 year olds.  Have pre-marital sex!  Find out your sexual orientation by bringing in a pair of your mom's slippers to class tomorrow.  Let's throw away our faith in Christ and embrace money and Hollywood stars who can't even differentiate a 'b' from a 'd' (AKA Tom Cruise)!  Lets trample our Constitution and our conservative values in place for new age liberalism!  Lets all read Harry Potter, practice witchcraft and devil worship, read your astrology in the morning, but NOT THE BIBLE!!!!"  These people make me sick!

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Ah yes, harry potter, the book series of evil devil worship, demonic blackarts and prostitution. :doubt:

You aren't ****ing serious, are you?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I hope he's not. I really hate stupid people.

--General Battuta

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Meh, i can quote to you over 50 stories from Marks Gospel, i had to learn how stories by heart for my RE exam. Though im a moderate  catholic, not a fundamentalist or anything.
Got Ether?

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
I don't understand Catholicism. Jesus specifically says to worship no one but himself(the Trinity), yet Catholics have their own set of books and worship saints and Mary, etc. It's clearly wrong.

I'd like to see your end of the argument Zeronet :)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
yeah, another religion thread ahead.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
bout' time. I missed the majority of the first one. :doubt:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by DragonClaw
I'd like to see your end of the argument Zeronet :)

*is curious as well*

As for Christian Fundamentalists.... meh. I don't run into them over here, but the whole concept of (*switches topic to TV evangelisim*) TV evangelisim is just... missing something. Christians talk about witnessing to someone, but many ignore the very meaning of the word "witness". Su-tehp can give a great definition, I'm sure, but basically, I don't see how me handing out tracts to passers-by on a street corner, or preaching into a TV camera to people you've never met and who will never meet you, constitutes a witness of God's love.

IMHO, the people I'm a witness to are those I see on a day-by-day basis - my unit-mates in the army, the bus driver, the corner market owner, the landlord - these are people who get the chance to know me, see how I live those respective parts and aspects of my life, and eventually ask "So, what's different about you?" That's being a witness.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Hmm, im Roman Catholic, went to a Catholic Highschool, am going to a Catholic College, but i have no idea what these other books are, unless you mean Luke etc's gospels and as far as i recall, have never worshipped a Saint or Mary, as i would God. You'll have to explain a bit more what you mean, i don't exactly equate the 'Hail Mary' prayer, as worshipping Mary as if she were a God and i do go Church when i can.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2003, 06:09:16 pm by 419 »
Got Ether?

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Here's some more people that should be sent to Antarctica:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,16951.0.html

--General Battuta

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Of course Rampage is going to go on a rampage on the Episcopal Church USA because of the fact that a recently appointed bishop is gay. :lol:

Anyways, someone should pass Rampage the peace pipe :p
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
One thing that always confused me was the Catholic obsession about not using a condom. This was based on a remark made by Jesus about not spilling seed on barren ground.....
Problem was, this was after his disciples asked him how to spread the word of the christian God. My own opinion is that he was saying 'don't preach to those who aren;t prepared to listen'.
Maybe if people had taken things in this context, the world would be a fair bit more peaceful, and probably less crowded ;)

Flipside :D

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
Originally posted by Zeronet
Hmm, im Roman Catholic, went to a Catholic Highschool, am going to a Catholic College, but i have no idea what these other books are, unless you mean Luke etc's gospels

From http://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/qu57.htm
As a general rule, the Protestant Holy Bibles contain only 66 Books while the Catholic Holy Bibles contain 73 Books, 46 in the Old Testament and 27 in the New Testament. When the Protestant Holy Bibles do list the additional seven Books, they are listed under the title of "Apocrypha" which means "hidden books.

I remember going over this in Old Testament class, and there were quite a lot of contradictions in the added "Apocrypha" of the Catholic Church. I remember one of them, very vaguely, though I can't remember the name of the King or which empire it was. But I think it said a certain King of the Assyrian empire, while the known fact was he was the King of the Persian empire(he was referred this in the Bible and it's proven in diggings). I don't really remember any more, too long ago :blah:

Prayer really is a form of worship in and of itself, and so praying to a saint really means you are considering the saint a 'god' or 'idol' in and of itself, so even praying to saints is disobeying the Word.

I need to learn to word my sentences better :ick

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Originally posted by Flipside
One thing that always confused me was the Catholic obsession about not using a condom. This was based on a remark made by Jesus about not spilling seed on barren ground.....
Problem was, this was after his disciples asked him how to spread the word of the christian God. My own opinion is that he was saying 'don't preach to those who aren;t prepared to listen'.
Maybe if people had taken things in this context, the world would be a fair bit more peaceful, and probably less crowded ;)

Flipside :D

Um, that was God to some old testement person, possibly Isaac.
Got Ether?