Author Topic: 'Genesis' spacecraft slams into ground  (Read 4335 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
'Genesis' spacecraft slams into ground
You folks may have heard about a recovery op for a space probe re-entering the atmosphere today; it's been collecting various sensitive samples from the sun, and its contents are very fragile.

So NASA designed this recovery op; the probe's parachutes were to deploy, then helicopters flown by Hollywood stuntmen were going to pluck it gently out of the air and return it to earth slowly and carefully to avoid any damage to the precious cargo.

Five minutes ago the probe's parachutes failed to deploy and it slammed into the ground at over 100 miles per hour, and is now buried in a 3 foot deep crater.

Score another one for NASA. I wonder how the Mars program's going...

More info:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/webcast/genesis/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3638926.stm
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
...hollywood stunt pilots?
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Hmm - I wonder what's going to happen to the Titan probe (is it Hyugens?)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Yeah. They have experience in this sort of thing.

I just love seeing a big publicity stunt on international live television turn into a massive f***-up, and watch the commentators stutter and stumble for words. :D There's nothing like watching a 264 million dollar piece of equipment slam into the earth at about 3000 feet per second. I love NASA.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 11:51:18 am by 510 »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Originally posted by Carl
...hollywood stunt pilots?

They are crazy enough do that ? maybe
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I hope that they can still recover something from the ship...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
I don't think he meant that literally, though I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, everything is getting Hollywoodized these days.

Oh well, another few billion down the drain, I'm sure all the starving kids are happy.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
No, they were literally stuntmen from Hollywood, hired by NASA to catch this thing.

Offline Rictor

my God, stupidty knows no bounds. Have we as a society reached the point when even science has to be spectacular and entertaining in order to sustain people's attention?

Run for the hills, nothing is sacred anymore.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
They were hired because they were the only ones with the necessary flight skills... I don't see it as stupidty... it's the parachutes' fault not the pilot's...

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Rictor

Wouldn't military pilots be better skilled for something like this?

Anyways, I realize that it was the parachute, or lack thereof, that caused the crash, I'm just lamenting the "made for TV" turn that our society has taken.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 12:13:26 pm by 644 »

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Military heli pilots don't have better skills at doing something of this magnitude, stunt pilots are used to doing things with helicopters that other pilots would even dream of...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
OK, press conference at 2:00 PM EST, that's in about an hour, 7 PM GMT. See you there...

Offline Windrunner

• The Hammer.
The best minds in the world work for NASA, and that they coldn't save the probe is just embaresing.
Staffmember: Hard Light Productions
I said a lot of things.  Some of them were even true. - Aldo_14

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I think this was just the universe generating a karmic return for those at NASA who laughed at Beagle 2 :D

Seriously though it's a real shame.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Damn...this thing could have had huge potential for astronomical research :(.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Well, there's only one thing to say; "Thanks Utah! For smacking your big ass nothingness into the probe!"
 :rolleyes:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
Originally posted by Rictor
I don't think he meant that literally, though I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, everything is getting Hollywoodized these days.

Oh well, another few billion down the drain, I'm sure all the starving kids are happy.

How did I know you'd find some political angle to this thing....

(edit: qualifier removed)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 04:02:24 pm by 597 »
"Why does it want me to say my name?"

Offline Vaelinx

Why can't we all switch to one measurement system?  I mean... damn...  I'm not going to say that was the problem this time, but damn...

Also, their recovery method seemed way complex.  They got alot of things right, it's true...  but there were too many things to go wrong, I wonder why they felt the need to grab it mid-air?  But then again, who knows...  Maybe someday this will happen to one of my projects. :(  But with me it would be more like Hubble, which was thankfully repairable.

And it's true that some of the best minds work at NASA...  but they aren't all "best minds."  NASA doesn't pay well enough. ;) Mostly because of the lack of funding and public interest someone was mentioning earlier.

Lets hope that everything is not a loss...  it's always a shame to see this happen because you know many people have been spending many years just on that spacecraft.
If there was one thing all people took for granted, was conviction that if you feed honest figures into a computer, honest figures come out. Never doubted it myself until I met a computer with sense of humor.

Manuel O'Kelly Davis in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Cyker

I'm just curious as to how it was only travelling at 100mph when it hit!
I mean, this thing fell from the upper atmosphere with not even a drogue 'chute to slow it down - I would have expected it to hit the ground a lot harder!
Some luck I guess :)

Hehe, the irony is that they used the stunt pilots because they were worried a normal parachute landing (Which would still have quite rough ) might damage the delicate particle containers, so they spend all this time planning some convoluted intercept mission and forget about the simple stuff :P

NASA of all people should look to ths KISS principle!