Author Topic: Turning off Hardware Acceleration  (Read 387 times)

Offline Kie99

Turning off Hardware Acceleration
I want to take screenshots of a DVD, and read somewhere that you can only do this if you turn off hardware acceleration.  How do I do this?

Please no-one send me a link for a player that takes screenshots, when I try that the images got all streched for some reason.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
right click on the desk top.
click properties.
settings tab.
advanced button.
troubleshoot tab.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
...I think this hardware acceleration reference refer's the the video hardware acceleration settings in your DVD-player software...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
DVD players usually render the picture to what's called an "overlay layer". This is a layer that is only generated after the point where Windows grabs its screenshot data from. This is why a simple Print Screen usually doesn't work.

Many dedicated screen grabbers will grab data after the overlay layer point, thus grabbing the DVD picture as well. The other option is, like you said, to force the DVD player to render its image via Windows' interface by disabling the hardware acceleration.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Kie99

So how do I turn it off in Windows Media Player?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You don't. You turn it off for Windows from the display control panel like Raa suggested.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Originally posted by kietotheworld
So how do I turn it off in Windows Media Player?

Go into the Options menu, Performance tab and change the Video acceleration slider to None.

Offline Kie99

Tried that, I still just get a blank area where the DVD screen should be.