Author Topic: The U.S. is losing friends left and right.  (Read 24260 times)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Re: The U.S. is losing friends left and right.
Here's my opinion... take it or leave it; Bush worked miracles with the economy post 9/11. That goes entirely unsung.
You seem to like bringing 1936-onwards Germany into this discussion, so perhaps we could get you to point out the other famous leader who's efforts in greatly improving his nation's economic and military might often go unsung?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The German army's problem was that after the defeat of France Hitler assumed total and absolute control over absolutly everything they did. Why? He didn't trust his generals. The Germans were quite resourceful, when they were allowed to be.

This doesn't tally with the defeat in France itself, or for that matter experience in Russia. Hitler became de facto Army Supreme Commander after Stalingrad. There is no denying the Germans were smart, but their command structure was crippled at levels far lower than der Fuhrer. Corps and division command, with a few noteable exceptions, were weak, and junior officers/NCOs were in some senses very good, in other senses very poor.

And in a lot of ways the US Army was simply better-designed. Organizationally it was extremely well thought-out (irony: the US organizational setup for armored divisions, often considered the best in the world, was developed at a time when they had no tanks). It has been said that had it been a US Army force that conducted Operation Barbrossa, Moscow would have been taken. This is probably true, since much better attention was payed to logistical and maintainance work, but on the other hand it also probably would never have been launched, since the US Army also was much better at use of intelligence. As Chief of the Army Staff Franz Halder lamented on the 100th day of the Russian campaign: "When we began this campaign we counted on a force of 160 large enemy formations. We have already encountered 220."
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The Shah of Iran situation was extremely stable and was the best it had ever been until Carter came into presidency, and cut all support from the Shah, effectively turning it into a terrorist state.

Congratualations, you have jsut been brainwashed.
Whenever I hear something like that it makes me wanna puke.

Who the hell gives out those brands?
When's hte last time the US administration actually had some PROOF against a country it's accusing of something?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
When was the last time the word "terrorist" actually meant something?

Considering the Armenian genocide a genocide is close to the best thing the US Congress has done in years, although they should also have added the ousting of Native Americans to that category as well. Turkey, the second largest military in NATO has a huge military, it would be idiotic for the both US and Turkey to have any kind of conflict, because the result could be the WWIII that people are trying to prevent.

War between two huge military forces, both with nukes = bad thing.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:45:10 pm by Mars »

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
War between two huge military forces, both with nukes = bad thing.
Since when does Turkey have Nuclear Weapons?
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
They don't

They do have >1,000,000 troops

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Yes but you wrote
both with nukes
Turkey does not have nukes.
The Signature is a Nuke!

The Shah of Iran situation was extremely stable and was the best it had ever been until Carter came into presidency, and cut all support from the Shah, effectively turning it into a terrorist state.

Congratualations, you have jsut been brainwashed.
Whenever I hear something like that it makes me wanna puke.

Who the hell gives out those brands?
When's hte last time the US administration actually had some PROOF against a country it's accusing of something?

I think you misunderstand me.  The point I was trying to make with that statement was tied into the original topic, and the rest of my post.  President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964: "What is going on in Iran is about the best thing going on anywhere in the world."  President Carter with the Shah of Iran, New Year's Eve 1977 toasted Iran as "an island of stability in one of the more troubled areas of the world."  Want more reading? http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1886755/posts  (bias there is a bit heavy, but most of the facts are straight.  Gimme a break, I didn't take a lot of time to find it. :nervous:)

I never said that the Shah of Iran was perfect.  I said that the "situation was extremely stable and was the best it had ever been until Carter came into presidency, and cut all support from the Shah, effectively turning it into a terrorist state."

Were there human rights violations under his rule?  Absolutely.  But it is absolutely nothing compared to what it was before and what it is now.
I'm not focusing on the situation itself - I'm focusing on how Carter handled it.  And he handled it badly.  VERY BADLY.  There are times and ways to chastise an ally, and there are sure as hell times and ways not to.

It is pretty much what is being done with Turkey right now.  Only the basis for the whole Turkey thing is much much much more ridiculous.  But hopefully, the repercussions won't be as extreme as they were with Iran 30 years ago.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Yes but you wrote
both with nukes
Turkey does not have nukes.
:eek2:
Whoops... my bad

Still I think we can all agree that neither Turkey nor the US can afford open warfare, and that things could easily spiral out of control from there.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Were there human rights violations under his rule?  Absolutely.  But it is absolutely nothing compared to what it was before and what it is now.

I doubt there was much of a difference.

I'm not focusing on the situation itself - I'm focusing on how Carter handled it.  And he handled it badly.  VERY BADLY.  There are times and ways to chastise an ally, and there are sure as hell times and ways not to.

In what ways? Again, the message I'm getting is that Carter is somehow responsible for the Shah's overthrow........
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

I doubt there was much of a difference.

In what ways? Again, the message I'm getting is that Carter is somehow responsible for the Shah's overthrow........

Then your doubt would be misplaced.

And yes, Carter was largely responsible for the Shah's overthrow.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Hazaanko, I was reffering to you calling Iran a terrorist state.

Such labels are really not called for.

Again, the message I'm getting is that Carter is somehow responsible for the Shah's overthrow........
And again, you're right.
Without support the Mulla's made a revolution and now the president of Iran openly declares that Iran must destroy Israel, with all means available (so guess why they're researching atomic energy?  -  Right, you can't make a nuke having huge oil supplies, because oil gives only energy for less destructive things, like running cars or powerplants)

I have to disagree here, for the reason I've wrote above.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
He said the Isreal should be destroyed, not that they will do it, now and with any means.

Their president may be driven, but that doesn't make a whole country a nest for terrorists.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Half the crap they are dealing with in Iraq (well, more than half) comes from Iran.  Go figure.

I'll concede this - "Terrorist state" is over the top and not really accurate.  But then again, the term "terrorist state" isn't really clearly defined anywhere...  I'm just referencing the numerous allegations and incidents surrounding their supplying of weapons to terrorists in Iraq and being a major source of terrorist propaganda.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Considering the Armenian genocide a genocide is close to the best thing the US Congress has done in years, although they should also have added the ousting of Native Americans to that category as well.

I've always thought the fairest solution to the entire debacle is for the USA to censure Turkey for the Armenian thing followed by Turkey turning right around and censuring the USA for their treatment of the Native Americans. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Considering the Armenian genocide a genocide is close to the best thing the US Congress has done in years, although they should also have added the ousting of Native Americans to that category as well.

I've always thought the fairest solution to the entire debacle is for the USA to censure Turkey for the Armenian thing followed by Turkey turning right around and censuring the USA for their treatment of the Native Americans. :D

Hahahaha thats awesome  :yes:

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Half the crap they are dealing with in Iraq (well, more than half) comes from Iran.  Go figure.

Proof please.... :nervous:...What? nothing? :eek: I'm shocked! :eek2:

'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.