Author Topic: 'Black Lagoon' or 'The Saddest a Work of Fiction Has Made Me in a Long Time'  (Read 1853 times)

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
'Black Lagoon' or 'The Saddest a Work of Fiction Has Made Me in a Long Time'
Spoilers abound:

So I'm watching this anime, thinking "Cool, modern-day pirates," and I get that, along with incompetent neo-Nazis, flying torpedo boats, and a Terminator in a maid's outfit.

Then I get to the Romanian assassin kids and I'm still thinking "Loli with a belt-fed machine gun, cool." Then some of their backstory is revealed, how they were sold to perverts and forced to kill, and I start to feel a little bad, but not any more than I usually would for fictional characters, which isn't much. Sniping scene didn't faze me; little boy (actually girl) screwed with the wrong Russians and got screwed in return. It wasn't until later, when the little girl (actually boy) was being ferried away on the Lagoon and telling Rock all the horrible things about 'her' life in great detail, that I began to truly feel sad. And then Rock tries to comfort her (him?) saying the world isn't so bad and the only way he/she can think to show gratitude is to flash him, and now I'm feeling like  :blah:. Then finally the poor boy (or girl) gets blown away and the credits roll to a sad hymn-like tune and I feel like  :( :sigh:. I didn't cry, but MAN that was a downer, the worst a fictional story has made me feel in ages.

Sorry, my friends are out of town, and I just had to discuss this with someone. ITT: sad stories.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Re: 'Black Lagoon' or 'The Saddest a Work of Fiction Has Made Me in a Long Time'
I worse than "Milo and Otis"?
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Re: 'Black Lagoon' or 'The Saddest a Work of Fiction Has Made Me in a Long Time'
Only Milo & Otis I know are the dog and cat, so no.

Hard Light Productions:

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, that show has some ups and downs.

the twins bit is defenately one of the most uncomfortable bits of work I've seen in a while.

the whole second season is quite a bit more srsbzns than the first, though Levi's engrish in the later eppisodes cracked my **** up.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 02:55:17 pm by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
They're working on another season.  :yes:

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
a third? SWEET!
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
though Levi's engrish in the later eppisodes cracked my **** up.
Oh inorite? Ending every other sentence with 'baby' made it hard to take things seriously.

Hard Light Productions:

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
keep in mind though its intended for a japanees audience, they probly did a better job with english than most english actors do with a foreign language.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
keep in mind though its intended for a japanees audience, they probly did a better job with english than most english actors do with a foreign language.

Nanoha's Intelligent Devices mock you. Of course, they got actual English speakers for them.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story