Author Topic: On lefties and why America does not appear to have a lot of them.  (Read 17795 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: On lefties and why America does not appear to have a lot of them.
How does culture come into the picture? Can you elaborate on what you mean?

"Cultural differences" in the sense of differences between separate ethnical groups.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I despair.

Mobius, in a democracy, excluding people from the vote should only be done as a very, VERY extreme measure. Anything else, and you create a situation where a sizable minority has no franchise, no involvement in the political process, and as a result, will be treated as second class.

That is something that should never, EVER, be allowed to happen.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
How does culture come into the picture? Can you elaborate on what you mean?

"Cultural differences" in the sense of differences between separate ethnical groups.

It has nothing to do with culture and everything to do with subpar schooling and living conditions.

Offline Nuclear1

The two things are connected, and I don't see anything wrong with it that could prevent me from posting here.
Not really.

We require people pass math, history, and science classes to graduate school anyway, why not require a couple of civics education classes as well?

I'm not saying people should be forbidden from voting if they don't pass these classes in school, but just that having such classes available the year most people become eligible to vote might make for a smarter electorate over time.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Hey gais, just FYI, but in Kansas at least you have to pass a Government or equivalent class in order to graduate.  Can't vouch for anywhere else, and it hasn't really helped much here.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Is this "Government" class about political views or Congressional/presidential powers?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Is this "Government" class about political views or Congressional/presidential powers?

There shouldn't be a 'class' about political views, the concept is too open to abuse.  The way a government works should be sufficient.  Almost anything more than that risks turning into an indoctrination class, for all intents and purposes.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I despair.

Mobius, in a democracy, excluding people from the vote should only be done as a very, VERY extreme measure. Anything else, and you create a situation where a sizable minority has no franchise, no involvement in the political process, and as a result, will be treated as second class.

Explain me how minorities, in that scenario, would no longer matter.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I despair.

Explain me how minorities, in that scenario, would no longer matter.

What?  He's talking about disenfranchisement will create a sizable minority (note the singular there) that has no power to do anything, and will be treated as second class.

EDIT:  Damned light blue color removed.

Offline Topgun

I despair.

which is why republic > democracy
also damn you, I clicked this link thinking it was about a science article about left handed people.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
What?  He's talking about disenfranchisement will create a sizable minority (note the singular there) that has no power to do anything, and will be treated as second class.

Explain me how that would happen, then. The way I see it, it could help minorities if they're interested enough on their own rights.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Topgun

Explain me how that would happen, then. The way I see it, it could help minorities if they're interested enough on their own rights.

because everyone gets a single vote and majority rules. If the majority votes for a law that makes the minority slaves, the minority has to go with it.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Doesn't that apply to democracy, too? Where's the difference between that and what me and Nuclear1 said?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Topgun

Doesn't that apply to democracy, too? Where's the difference between that and what me and Nuclear1 said?
yes, it is common to all non-republic democracies.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
because everyone gets a single vote and majority rules. If the majority votes for a law that makes the minority slaves, the minority has to go with it.

The Constitution forbids slavery.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Topgun

The Constitution forbids slavery.
A constitution is the defining characteristic of a republic, not a pure democracy.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Dissociate the word minorities from ethnicities.  Now reapply it to people who can't vote.  Watch the exact same thing happen as happened with ethnic minorities to their levels of education and standard of living.  The only difference is that now the word "minority" would apply to lower-class/income households.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
us government is a required class in most highschools in the us. somehow i managed to get through high school without taking it. of course knowing how your government works is not enough. you also need to know how political parties work, how to objectively evaluate candidates, etc. really i dont think any level of education or testing is going to make a difference in how people vote. democracy is the wrong type of government if you only want only the tiny fraction of the population who are intellectuals to decide who runs the government. besides leadership is not about smarts, its about balls.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
By the way guys, you can just put Mobius on your forum ignore list until he stops posting in that font - I've had him and a few other users on ignore for a while now and it makes HLP a lot more enjoyable.

Put them on your ignore lists and you won't see their posts any more.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Why don't the admins just disable the [color] tags?