Author Topic: 'Dat economy  (Read 3956 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
So, finally graduating from uni after 5 years, with a BFA in Industrial Design. No work yet. :\ How are you guys doing, job wise? Anyone know any place that's looking for a 3d modeler/artist/industrial designer?

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Could try looking at consulting firms...
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's an extremely tough time for young workers right now, and with your employment history in the first few years of your career historically a huge predictor of your future income and success, it has a lot of people desperate. Fortunately that's a reasonably sensible skill set, so best of luck in the job hunt.

i myself have a pretty decent 401k and am headed into a fully paid 6 year phd program, from which i will hopefully emerge into a fat and happy economy  :nervous:

I was looking through jobs available with Amazon.com, and noticed a surprising number of openings in that sort of thing. Any chance you live near Seattle?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/jobs/146037/ref=j_sr_3_t?ie=UTF8&category=Product%20Design&keywords=3d%20model&location=*&page=1

Personally, my work isn't going so great, the place I work is hitting hard times and my hours are reduced. I'm going to look into getting an accounting degree and finding someplace stable.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
What firms did you intern during your college years?  Even if they don't have the openings to take you on if you did a good job they can probably help you network with other positions in the industry. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What firms did you intern during your college years?  Even if they don't have the openings to take you on if you did a good job they can probably help you network with other positions in the industry. 

As the result of excellent internship decisions one of my friends in computer science is currently being squabbled over by Microsoft, Google, Facebook and Cray. It's pretty enviable

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Thanks Scourge, I'll apply there. Starslayer, I've asked a few of my contacts but they haven't been able to help. :\ I'll probably ask again if I don't have anything by mid/end of summer.

Battuta, I wouldn't put too many bets on a healthy economy in six years. :\ From all that I've been reading (admittedly most of it is ZeroHedge), it looks like it's going to get much worse before it gets better. My money is on the student loan bubble popping; I think that's what will finally do in the status quo.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm a Physics major who's been out of school for three years and still doesn't have a full-time job, so I don't think I can help you on that regard. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Thanks Scourge, I'll apply there. Starslayer, I've asked a few of my contacts but they haven't been able to help. :\ I'll probably ask again if I don't have anything by mid/end of summer.

Battuta, I wouldn't put too many bets on a healthy economy in six years. :\ From all that I've been reading (admittedly most of it is ZeroHedge), it looks like it's going to get much worse before it gets better. My money is on the student loan bubble popping; I think that's what will finally do in the status quo.

I've already had several years of employment and I have never failed to get a job within a couple days of looking for one. I'm not worried about my own prospects, but it would be nice for that index fund to keep going up instead of down  :nervous:

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Index fund? I'm just waiting for the European student protests/riots to hit here. :\
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:22:53 pm by Unknown Target »

Offline Mika

To UT: Congratulations on your graduation!

I'm not familiar with US job markets, but generally your skill set is reasonable and should allow landing a job. Do you have courses on ergonomics as well? I'd go looking for local hand held device manufacturers (especially if ergonomics), possibly car manufacturers as well. R&D companies might find your skill set valuable. Freelancing is possible too, but requires connections to companies. Companies specializing in the medical side should have jobs for industrial designers too - whether it is just devices or plain ergonomics. From what I have been following, the hard thing for the newcomer is to convince mechanical engineers that you are a valuable addition from the end user's perspective. After that, the engineers might come and ask you to do the design with them next time! I see industrial design as a growing market, but it takes some time to sell yourself through to the conservative companies. Don't worry, just try again!

Is going international a possibility for you? Germany has a lack of educated engineers at the moment, and that might be worth considering as well. Australia could be a possibility too when sharing the common language, but my understanding is that their work markets are now mainly searching for mining related workforce and R&D is specializing in water treatment at this time. Other possibilities might open up too.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I'm a Physics major who's been out of school for three years and still doesn't have a full-time job, so I don't think I can help you on that regard. :p

Have you learned anything else in the meantime? You could go into game programming or other such endeavors, or hit up any of the new space companies with those sorts of skills.

Mika, to be honest I'm surprised you and others know what industrial design is; I'm always having to explain it. I can move abroad, though I'd prefer to stay in the US, and yea we have courses on ergonomics. I'll look into some of what you suggested, those are good ideas.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:50:17 pm by Unknown Target »

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I was looking through jobs available with Amazon.com, and noticed a surprising number of openings in that sort of thing. Any chance you live near Seattle?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/jobs/146037/ref=j_sr_3_t?ie=UTF8&category=Product%20Design&keywords=3d%20model&location=*&page=1

Personally, my work isn't going so great, the place I work is hitting hard times and my hours are reduced. I'm going to look into getting an accounting degree and finding someplace stable.

I actually work for Amazon, as a software developer. I can't really speak to what non-software positions are like, but I enjoy my work and love living in the Seattle area. Feel free to PM me if you want more details about Amazon and/or Seattle.

Offline Mika

Well, I work in the R&D field with an unusually broad field. I'm probably allowed to say at least that industrial designer has actually improved considerably the outlook of several of our prototypes, making it easier for our customers to market them to their customers.

Just a hint: try to get good contacts for 3D printing companies too, especially if you are basically free now. Trust me, that will benefit you.

EDIT: Oh, and possibly even furniture manufacturers might have positions open.
EDIT^2: How could I forget about the illuminaire design? Illuminaire design is as much about aesthetics as actually illuminating something!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 04:14:17 pm by Mika »
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i just live off the government. my skills would be completely wasted if i actually had a job, and id rather not see that happen again. i can do more without a budget than most people can do with one.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
College dropout, lapsed CNA licence that no one ever hired me for, looking at finally getting full time employment and a decent wage after working at a retail chain for a little over a year.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
College dropout, not much in the way of marketable skills. Fixing this bug was about the limit of my programming ability. I've got a game testing job open for me if I were willing to move, but I doubt that'd pay enough or last long enough to be worth the trouble.

For the past 2+ years or so I've worked several multiple-month contracts in what is described as an "IT Helpdesk" position, but doesn't seem to match up with the requirements at any other IT position in a 50 mile radius. About 30% of what I do is monitor automated processes using proprietary tools, UltraVNC, command-line pings, and an IP scanner. The next 30% involves being responsible for 3-4 teams of computer/printer installation technicians whom I usually only work with for one or two days. I only communicate with them by phone, and depending on their level of competence I'll either just check them in and out, or have to tell them how to do their job while catching their mistakes. About 10% of the time I have to do some basic hardware troubleshooting or Google a solution. The remaining 10% is documenting my work in ticket systems, Microsoft Office products, and various proprietary web interfaces.

It pays pretty well per hour but I'm lucky to make it over the federal poverty level since I can't get enough hours and I can't seem to find jobs between contracts. I guess I just can't figure out how to find the jobs I'm qualified for.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
took me 3 months to get my current job, I get 60k/year, all sorts of insurance, expenses paid, work with great people, they are going to pay my way through a masters program, I get roughly a month's worth of vacation a year and I get an annual weekend all expenses paid vacation to some tropical island.

just put yourself on monster and start looking for a job you would like to do. and remember they need you as much as you need them.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i've observed recently that many companies seem to suddenly gain a lot of interest in people after they take jobs at a different company (or in my case the government).  getting the first job is always the hardest, and moving around from there seems to be much easier.  i would suggest that you don't need to find the "perfect" job right away, just something you can handle in the field you want to work in.  i've even heard this straight from the mouths of VERY high-level management in huge companies, that it's perfectly normal and acceptable to bounce around and stay in jobs for relatively short periods of time when just starting out.  HR might not understand this, but the people that matter do. 

as for the original question, i work for the government.  my starting salary isn't bad, but a good bit less than i would have liked and below the average for my field.  the nice thing is i'm on a guaranteed fast-tracked promotion schedule, so it won't stay that low for too long.  and if i stay on after i get qualified, i'll be making BANK with all the overtime i'll have to work.  right now my job is **** easy and mostly enjoyable, but that is going to change when i get qualified.  not sure how long i'm going to stick around after that.  i love living at the beach though, hopefully i can stay in the area, or find a job near a different one.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
I've heard horror stories about student loans and how college graduates can't get a job to pay off those loans.  The economy in the US is so bad that even a proper education does not guarantee a job.  And the economy has the potential to get far worse...