Author Topic: Anyone know where I could get my R9 280X repaired ?  (Read 1196 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Anyone know where I could get my R9 280X repaired ?
To recap, I bought a used Gigabyte Windforce R9 280X OC (GV-R928XOC-3GD Rev 2) with a 'bad BIOS flash' -- I flashed the correct BIOS, and now it works fine in the BIOS and DOS / text modes, but when Windows or Linux tries to switch to graphics mode, it freezes the computer. Tried a better PSU (650W EVGA instead of 500W EVGA) , then I did an RMA (insert previous story here, the actual problem was bad communication, if they had communicated as good as they did when they finally e-mailed me on returning the product, I wouldn't have had a problem), Gigabyte told me the previous owner had replaced the thermal paste, voiding the warranty, and possibly damaging the card by using too much (which I verified upon getting the card back, he used way too much).

I cleaned the paste off, and I tried reflowing the solder (oven @ 385 for 8 minutes) -- no difference, BIOS and text remains functional, graphics still freeze the computer.

Images from Gigabyte (received when they finally mailed the card back) below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0W8iwdwhDpORGFHU1l6NDBzVVpGWEpIMWowbldHWl9oT1Jz

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0W8iwdwhDpOOFRjUzh1UHktQjdRaThodjJIenhxb3Q1eERz

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0W8iwdwhDpOcWgzcm1NU0lpXy00RTRRRF9jcnBNUmFVb29N

My question is, does anyone know where could I send this card to get it tested & repaired? Or is there something else I could try?

Cause if not, I basically can only sell it (probably at a loss, total cost of card was $60, plus $20 RMA shipping) for parts.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: Anyone know where I could get my R9 280X repaired ?
The third photo looks like a short circuit caused by the thermal paste - it appears that at least some types of it actually do conduct electricity. Or the element that arrow points at is cracked.

What did you clean the chip with? If it wasn't cleaned properly, the short circuit could still be there - it might even became solid after the baking...
Or the device was damaged by the short circuit the first time it was powered up.

<My experience as a 17 y/o kid...>
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
What did you clean the chip with?

91% Isopropyl alcohol and Q-Tips.

Probably shorted out & damaged when he first powered it up after globbing too much thermal paste on, I guess.  :ick:

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
You may try to take a look with a magnifier if there aren't any suspicious substances left between the pads. Like I mentioned earlier, this paste could bake itself to a solid state and solder some of them together. Also take a look at the other elements that got a splash of paste but weren't supposed to.

If it is a damaged chip for sure... Yeah, fixing that means replacing the entire GPU core, which is rather expensive - I guess you would be better off selling this one as junk and getting a working one.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Well, as a last ditch effort, I could soak it in the 91% isopropyl instead of just dabbing it on, I've seen that tentatively recommended when people gob a whole tube of paste on their CPU.  If that doesn't work, the chip is probably damaged & there's nothing more to it.

I'll have to see if I can get a good magnifying glass.  Actually, I do have an endoscope camera that might work.

Thanks Mito