Author Topic: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.  (Read 17895 times)

Re: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.
I have very limited contact with anime and I'm going to keep it that way (though I like to lurk the Deviantart from time to time looking at some quality manga-style stuff). One of the very few things I watched except Pokemon as a little kid was "Berserk". Damn me, it was worth every minute spent :)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.
Enjoyment of Game of Thrones should translate into Berserk being up your alley, the original 97 series and the The Golden Age Arc films from 2013 are both pretty solid. 

Unfortunately the new 2016-17 series is CGI garbage and animated terribly, which borders on crime considering how amazing the manga artwork from Kentaro Miura is:

Berserk really should be produced by someone like Mad House or Bones to be done justice.

If you like Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell films, then Jin Roh:The Wolf Brigade and Sky Crawlers are definitely worth a watch.  Just note both are slow paced story driven films punctuated with fantastic action sequences not the other way round.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 06:45:01 pm by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
"Slow paced" is a massive understatement when it comes to Sky Crawlers.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
One warning about Berserk: don't get into it unless you're prepared to hate yourself, and/or have several stiff drinks at hand.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Berserk

is a manga which is beyond fantastic, unfortunately it has never had an anime adaption that was not an insult. the 97 one was ok, but the manga is legendary. and this thread was about anime, not manga.
If I were to suggest a studio for Berserk I would go with Production IG, I love Bones and Mad House, but Production IG had a lot more experience with somber mature material and they feel like a better fit than the more colorful and energetic studios.

I also have a feeling Josh would not be able to get past the rampant and gratuitous sexuality/rape ingrained in and central to it. I mean this is the manga that gave us Rape Horse.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Aside from the conclusion I don't recall that the Golden Age Arcs stray too far from anything that Game of Thrones hasn't covered?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
It's extremely graphic rape every other page, Griphith is the only major character I don't think has been raped or damn near.
The very first page starts with the main character having sex with someone that ends with him blowing her hear off with a mini-cannon.
This is not the end of the scene it is in:

...you might be right.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:50:50 am by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I really would love to know just what sort of ****ed-up childhood produced Kentaro Miura.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Fun Fact: He started writing Berserk when he was 20, 30 years ago. so he was just barely out of his childhood when he started.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It's extremely graphic rape every other page, Griphith is the only major character I don't think has been raped or damn near.
The very first page starts with the main character having sex with someone that ends with him blowing her hear off with a mini-cannon.

The 2013 films and the 97 series follow the Golden Age/Band of the Hawk Arcs right?  I don't recall things getting too weird, ie deviating beyond medieval norms, until post Eclipse? 

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Jungle wa itsumo Hare nochi Guu

Habeeb it...

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
don't go in expecting a happy ending.

...uhm, a happy ending is not required for a story, or a good one. What is required is a well-made ending - not a happy one, a conclusive one or a consistent one.
Granted you shouldn't ditch constiency or a conclusion unless you are godlike story-teller but that conventions are neither monolithic, unyielding or desevering of undying feality is good thing to keep in mind.

Re: Berzerk-discussion

If you have to add some many caveats to the recommendation, doesn't it make it a bad recommendation for someone at the entry level?

I don't have to make it taboo but it is a bit of dive into the deep end, isn't it?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 05:03:26 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I'm already watching GITS so y'all can turn this into a discussion about rad animé.

I mean, this forum needs more people talking about rad stuff anyway.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it is a bit of dive into the deep end, isn't it?

more than just a little bit.

Especially if you know who you are making a recommendation for, and you know they have a problem with what they would call misogyny (and that variety of thing).
I mean I love Panty & Stocking with Garter Belt, but I don't think that would be his sort of thing, and I was trying to actually be helpful. When you make a recommendation you have to think about who you are making it for, not just what you have liked.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:03:14 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
don't go in expecting a happy ending.
...uhm, a happy ending is not required for a story, or a good one.
...Did anyone claim otherwise? I literally said it was "a fantastic movie" in the part immediately before the part you quoted.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
I really would love to know just what sort of ****ed-up childhood produced Kentaro Miura.

He has some very diverse interests. Not some time ago, he got hooked on Idolmaster of all things, if you can believe that.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah I've seen that running gag for years now.  "Welp, new Idolmaster game, no more new Berserk chapters for the next year!"

Op go watch Your Name, it's a good start for people new to the medium. Then jump back two decades and watch Macross Plus (both the OVA and Movie editions, they have scenes exclusive to each other). Then sit in /a/ and brawl it out with neoweebs, that'll get you some fighting cred.

Offline Luis Dias

Barely know any, building my own knowledge of animé myself, but so far, I can only reinforce some of the already suggested. Most anime is ****, but there's a few gems that are not only worth watching, they are true pieces of art that you won't experience in any other format.

Cowboy Bebop - don't listen to Scotty's trolling. The "assured" responses he gets for downplaying it have a really damned good reason. CB is by far one of the pearls of animé.

Death Note -  has a tremendously good first season. The concept is simple and strong, the execution of it is really great. The second had a wrong arc written into it, for shame.

Re:Zero - Very good. Watch it. Like Bebop, it is incredibly focused and there's no filler. Great concept, even better execution.

One Punch Man - What The_E said. The art is insanely good, and the concept is genius. It's basically parodying Dragon Ball Z in the finest possible way. Heart, cynicism, self-awareness and ennui.

GITS is so cliché. Reminds me of Romeo and Juliet. May have something to do with how everything copied from it from then on ;).

There are others, but I refrain.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Cowboy Bebop - don't listen to Scotty's trolling. The "assured" responses he gets for downplaying it have a really damned good reason. CB is by far one of the pearls of animé.

I don't think it was Scotty...