Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613746 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
I went through the hole in the ground of Majula and have fought my way to the Black Gulch. Apparently I missed the Royal Rat Authority or something... I killed the Royal Rat Vanguard atleast.
The Gutter is a **** hole, I dislike it. Also this Gulch area is also annoying me.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I went through the hole in the ground of Majula and have fought my way to the Black Gulch. Apparently I missed the Royal Rat Authority or something... I killed the Royal Rat Vanguard atleast.
The Gutter is a **** hole, I dislike it. Also this Gulch area is also annoying me.

You gonna love another area accessible through the Rotunda ;)

The Black Gulch is at least short and "sweet" (it has basically the shape of a P); and unless you really need do the Pilgrims or Aldia questlines you don't even need to come back.

Still punching things throughout the Realms of Norse mythology, but also got assured myself that my faith into Battletech would be rewarded.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
So, instead of playing Earthsiege I’ve been mucking about with trying to get Earthsiege 2 to work probably because I have some latent masochistic tendencies.
Boy, what a mess.
First: the installer on the freeware ISO doesn’t work on 64 bit systems so you have to use an alternate installer, I’ve found two, one was a simple batch file that copies the files from the Cd or mounted ISO and creates the various CFG files, the other allowed to get the CD music by autodownloading the mp3 tracks but the installed copy obtained crashed regularly;
Second: no in-game music because the freeware version is a simple ISO without the redbook tracks so you need to get the mp3 tracks separately (in my case I took them from the failed installation) and since the all-in-one installer didn’t work I had to use a utility to patch the executable of the game part of the game because it uses a different executable for the menu;
Third: in fullscreen there often is the dreaded ddraw bug that affects a bunch of old directX games that didn’t use 3D acceleration usually when passing from one exe to the other, solved by using Dxwnd to scale up the window to a decent size;
Fourth: and this is probably the worse, the game doesn’t detect USB joysticks, this one is fixed by enabling joystick emulation for the relative exe files but for some reason it didn’t work right away and when it did I’m not sure what I did to make it work.
Fifth: the game uses the old Indeo codec for some FMVs, I had to use FFdshow to enable Indeo 3 and 4 to make them work (according to google enabling version 5 doesn’t work).

After all this fortunately it was only a matter of stripping down the script from the Earthsiege joystick profile (native throttle support, yay!), changing a couple of bindings and abilitating another directX button to have the reverse throttle button mapped in-game (at least for now, I wonder if it’s possible to abilitate full range for the throttle somehow).
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline 0rph3u5

Before I left for the movies today, I beat the main story of God of War ... not sure if their the rave reviews or the flood of "worst video game EVAAARRG!"-videos (which invaded my Youtube-feed after I got caught up on the original games) are justified...

Don't get me wrong, it is technically good, gameplay-wise very good and aside from some narrative hang-ups well made but... (MILD SPOILERS)
Spoiler:
... the commitment to the single uninterrupted take-approach works to its detriment in a few sequences; a short prologue might have done the game's narrative favour...

(HEAVY SPOILERS)
Spoiler:
... I get that keeping Feya out of view, yet present, was done to strengthen Freya's position as a mother figure in the narrative, as her relationship with Baldur serves as a negative to that of Kratos and Atreus, but it would have been better IMHO if we had gotten a view that genuine care Kratos has for Atreus at a neutral point in time instead of starting where we do and spending the first act with finding out if Kratos actually has any affectionate feelings towards his son.

Even if you want to preserve all the revelations that come in Jötunheim once you get there for the end, you could at least take the story why the boy is callled Atreus somewhere else.
(END SPOILERS)

... as far as the thematic side goes, I have not made up my mind yet ... mostly because I might have to look into the degree of adaptation in regards to two characters (i.e. I am pretty sure they have been the subject of some heavy adapting, as they joined to two characters with similar names from the mythological source material, and changed the other to more resemble another Aesir of similar lineage). Depending on how much they changed these characters during the adaptation, it opens up a new layer to evaluate.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet

• Worst Modder HLP has ever seen
Lots and lots of Smash Bros Brawl.

I also played through Star Fox 64, took the easy route.
"I thought the Medal Display thingy was a baking tray!"

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Finished Star Cruiser II: The Odysseus Project today.

Well..  the first one was simply groundbreaking and redefined my whole historical view i have on the space combat and first person shooter genre.
Except that it looks very ugly for a 1993 game (because it does not look better than the Genesis/Mega Drive Port of the first game three years earlier and this game was released in the same year like WC: Privateer or X-Wing) i think, that this one is still a good successor, even it does not try to be another revolution. Well, but atleast it introduced an optional usable turn-based combat system which make it possible to play 95% (in some segments real-time OR turn-based battles are forced) of the game like a pure RPG.

The story was also nice with some interesting twists. Even i disliked the controls sometimes, which is one of the reasons i think that the console-port of the previous game is the better one.

But big thanks to celion and his co-workers that created the english translation patches for both games.
Without it... well i would have missed two great experiences, especially the first game.
It would be a shame if these were made never available for non-japanese speaking players.

EDIT:

Now this one is also watchable as a playthrough on my channel :)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:49:11 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

I'm stuck on The Rotten. I'm still using 30 Great Soul Arrows, 10 Heavy Soul Arrows and Soul Barrage(?).
The area before it is annoying, and painful. But atleast I can run past all the enemies now that I've memorized everything.

Offline 0rph3u5

I'm stuck on The Rotten. I'm still using 30 Great Soul Arrows, 10 Heavy Soul Arrows and Soul Barrage(?).
The area before it is annoying, and painful. But atleast I can run past all the enemies now that I've memorized everything.

The Rotten is harder for Sorcery/miracle/hexes-build because you can't exploit his bulk as much as with a meele weapon - what strikes me as odd is that you don't mention Soul Spear, have you been to other Areas?
(You should have access to Huntsman's Copse by now, even with a one-time soul tax attached to it)

==================

I didn't explore the Lost Bastile or the other areas no. I'm not sure if I have Soul Spear.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I will revisit the space quest series! !
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 0rph3u5

I didn't explore the Lost Bastile or the other areas no. I'm not sure if I have Soul Spear.

Roughly opposite to the Fog Gate for The Rotten is a cave with the Hidden Chamber-bonfire (it is tricky to find in the darkness as the path leading into runs along the edge of the pit), if you have not unlocked it yet ... this should give you an out from having to run the gauntlet every time. This should lift some of the presure about having to do the boss now.

Soul Spear is one of the Sorceries with the lowest number of uses, but also one the highest damage per shot (not counting its upgrade Crystal Soul Spear) ... unlike other high damage Sorcieries its also fire and forget like you Soul Arrows despite the longer casting time (e.g Soul Bolt requires you to be stationary for the entire very long casting animation) and does single target damage (unlike Soul Vortex which does continous AoE)
Despite the name it should do more damage than the Soul Spear Barrage you can buy off the normal Sorceries-trader...

The drop to find it is in Huntsman's Copse, which you reach from Majula via the Rotunda (go the same route you had to go Heide's Tower of Flame but now you should find the cleric there, who you encountered after the Dragonrider Boss; she will offer you to spin the Rotunda for a fee - 10.000, I think); explore the area and keep looking out above you. The spell should be in an envoriment drop off the beaten path somewhere half-way through, if you arrive at either Boss you can reach from this area you have gone too far.

==================

I have no idea where this rotunda is. Is it in the area with the big giant knight guys outside Heides Tower of Flame?

Offline 0rph3u5

Sorry... I forget that this space doesn't have a proper area name...

The space I mean is when you go towards Heide's Tower of Flame from Majula, the first proper room of the passage should be a round room with a pillar in the centre - that's what I call the Rotunda (after the description of the key you can acquire later).

Until the cleric gets there, there is no way to interact with pillar despite there being a destinct panel on it. If the cleric is there (this requires you to have talked to her after the Dragonrider Boss in Heide's Tower of Flame), she can activate the pillar causing the room to spin around. This will close the path to Heide's Tower of Flame (bonfire travel still works) and open the path to Huntsman's Copse.

If you already have the Rotunda Lockstone you can of course skip the interaction of the cleric. (but you shouldn't have it yet, as the sequence to get as intended requires you to have progressed beyond to Drangleigh Castle).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:39:39 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Finished Shadowrun: Hong Kong & the Bonus Campaign.  Overall pretty fun but they need to double down if they come out with another game, the game and its world needs more polish.  Hire another damn animator and give some characters idle cycles here and there instead of just breathing.  Also the Matrix changes - were okay, simon says cracking was too easy and got very old.  Alert levels meant either stealth game, or getting ganked.  Needed escalating response imo, not all or nothing.  Also except for a few fights the game is pretty easy, even playing on hard difficulty.

Finished Doom 2017 last night as well.  Pretty fun in the end and was very happy to see what the final boss was.  Only complaints really is that Hell doesn't live up to Doom 3's legacy, and some of the Rune challenges were very poorly designed.  Why have a rune challenge where you can't move unless you kill a guy in a game that is all about moving? Hope they have a sequel and hope they bring back the arachnotron

Bored and stuck on Dark Souls 2 still. So I've decided to move onto DBZ FighterZ. More people need to play this freaking game.

Offline 0rph3u5

Had the spare change to get the last DLC to Stellaris ...

Following the review-bombing I saw when Apocalypse hit (and with it a mandatory re-working of all things warfare in the game), I both was and wasn't suprised. Now that I have me hand on it, I am.
Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge the massive changes the game has undergone but so far (and from a vantage that is possibly one or two balance patches removed) I don't see the reason for the commotion. Sure, many of my go-to strategies went out the window and I had re-learn much of the game's rules and sequence but none of that was world-shatteringly horrible, e.g. my go-to mode of warfare (which was accumulating redundant systems and planets so I could do the Machine Empire-thing and just outspend any aggressor in short-term build-up, rather than having costly fleets around during peace-time) is no longer feasible despite actually made incredible simple with the new fleet manager....

... but then again it might just be the Internet's ability to amplify the reach of any message etc etc.

==================

Started playing BF1 campaign on XB1 but some always-online bull**** kicked me from the campaign twice.  I like EA in general but that's phenomenally stupid.  So instead went back, months back, to Halo 5 on Legendary to struggle through 343's poor design decisions like Armor lock and putting me with a team of absolute nobodies and whogivesa****s.  Poor decision because I'm sure the threshold to get armor locked is higher than the previous thresholds to get outright killed- and more than half the time, getting armor locked just means it takes longer to die.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 01:26:31 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
It's important to remember that you should never give EA any money.

The idea that anyone would 'like EA' is absurd.  I guess they haven't gotten around to utterly destroying a game or game studio you love yet.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:37:13 pm by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline 0rph3u5

It's important to remember that you should never give EA any money.

That only applies to their Sports games.

==================