Author Topic: Battletech game?  (Read 22956 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Looks nice.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

A turn based strategy game by the creators of the original ruleset, even. Which is making me so excited that I don't have an analogue for it.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Quote from: Battletech Kickstarter-Email
Note that GOG keys won't activate the game until Tuesday, April 24th at 9am PDT.

Right during my last class of the day :)

I will hop right in once I get home (download time permitting)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline crizza

I'm realy tempted, I like the sory, I like the Mechs... but I don't know if I like the turn based gaming...hm.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'll be playing it the second I get back home. Having a new, pretty much unequivocally good BattleTech game is such a new experience for me....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Didn't realize this was so close to release already. (3 hours away from the time I'm making this post)
Buying this sort of blind, really hoping it will be good (cause last time I spend money on a battletech game, it was mechwarrior online founder's pack, and boy, did I end up regretting that)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Reviews have been universally "good to great" with the singular exception of one RPS review where the reviewer was bored by how long 'Mechs animated during their activations.  I do not have a high opinion of that reviewer's writing.

Sitting here eagerly awaiting 11 am local so I can finally redeem this backer key and dive in.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It looks good so far. I'm terrible at it, but it looks good.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Played it for 4 hours yesterday, just past the mission where you "liberate" the Argo. I had a bunch of close calls and awesome RNGesus events (Like most of my lance failing to make a dent in a Hunchback that suddenly rolled up only for Behemoth in a Shadowhawk to casually stroll up to the damn thing and punch its head clean off), I got Dekker killed in the first post-tutorial mission (sorry about that, mate), and at least one instance of the AI just kinda giving up on life (In the mission with the HBK, there was a Vindicator that I was kinda worrying about on account of its PPC, specifically me making sure to not damage that thing because I wants it, precious, which just sort of .... stood around for a few turns doing nothing)

Really good game.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'll make my own mercenary company, with blackjacks and hookers.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, Blackjacks at least aren't a problem.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
My damn Blackjack got knocked out in the first mission. And Yang is taking his sweet time getting it fixed. That first mission is pretty brutal compared to the trash contracts that follow after that.

"Fight an enemy lance"
4 vehicles

ayyy, glad I negotiated those salvage rights.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline 0rph3u5

That first mission is pretty brutal compared to the trash contracts that follow after that.

Considering two of my mechs got "It's just a flesh wound"'ed in that mission I think that's an apporiate difficulty curve :)
(Dekker and Glitch are out, because Dekker can't even kill friggin tank on his own)

Gonna make some time tonight to see how much freedom I gained by becoming captain with my bucket of bolts...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The way you can have your 'free' movement interupted by enemy contact is weird. Like, if you rush all your mech's movement before the move animation is completed, you can avoid having some mech stranded way in the back when the initiative starts. But imo this feels wrong in a turn based game.

Edit: not sure if stuff works that way actually, but it sure feels like it at times.

Multitargeting is bestestest skill
Nailing a target dead center with a ppc and watching it go down is fantastic
I love how useful jumpjets are in this game
I am impressed at my mechwarriors ability to consistently miss a building three times the size of a mech
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:21:52 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Offline 0rph3u5

The way you can have your 'free' movement interupted by enemy contact is weird. Like, if you rush all your mech's movement before the move animation is completed, you can avoid having some mech stranded way in the back when the initiative starts. But imo this feels wrong in a turn based game.

X-Com 2 has the same issue if you set a specific flag in the options.

It seems to be a problem related to the sequence of events, i.e. that not all actions of one mech have to be resolved (e.g. completed a move) before another mechs can be given orders. My best guess would be that it is an unintentional side-effect speeding up non-combat sequences while maintaining a turn-based structure at all times.

==================

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
That first mission is rough, but awesome. The game is ****ing great, I love it. A lot of the negative reviews on steam complain that it's too slow-paced, which is like complaining that Quake is too quick. There's a few of them as well, which imho is entirely undeserved.

Love that they've got vehicles and turrets ingame too, one-shotting the wee tanks is seriously satisfying and really drives home that mechs are king of the battlefield. Melee can be such a high-risk high-reward deal, but it's a nice option to have, particularly when you've got a mech that's gotten dismembered and weaponless.

That first mission is rough, but awesome. The game is ****ing great, I love it. A lot of the negative reviews on steam complain that it's too slow-paced, which is like complaining that Quake is too quick. There's a few of them as well, which imho is entirely undeserved.

Having seen some of the streaming footage, I can see why someone who enjoys a game of Firaxis' XCOM or Into The Breach could have a problem with this - XCOM 2 famously spawned a "stop wasting my time" mod for that same reason.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Yes, but a lot of the reviews complain about the little cinematic animation cuts you sometimes get when you order a unit to move or attack. It took me one look into the settings to find the option to turn it off.

I can see why some people want to get things moving along, but the fact that they didn't even bother to check in the settings tells me all I need to know.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So...

Is this the Battletech game we both need and deserve?

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I don't know what we deserve, but this game is good ****.
Urutorahappī!!