Author Topic: C&C3  (Read 27567 times)

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
Ok well just finished all three campaign and considering how the Scrin campaign ended there will be a sequal or atleast an expansion pack....

/Dice
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I'm part way through the GDI campaign at the moment and so far I actually really do like it... but...

The formula seems quite simple. Turtle your base and harvest resources until you reach the top of the available tech tree - then head out and destroy the enemy.

Not that there's anything wrong with that as such - but it does seem to become a bit too simple a formula. There isn't a huge variety of units per side (although there is a different in unit styles per side) and things like artillery are entirely missing. It'd also be nice to have the option to mount rail guns (as GDI) instead of those anti-vehicle turrets - as rail guns seem to do a lot more damage. It's an obvious evolution.

That said I've not finished it all off - so perhaps I shouldn't judge just yet.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I have encountered some bugs, nothing show stopping, and at least a couple resolved themselves.

Some Ox that I ordered to drop off tried to do so in impassible terrain, didn't drop the units, went back up, and sat there like idiots, unselectable.

Had a couple of APCs sit outside the War factory on top of one another, you could select them though which one you got was random, but they wouldn't move no  matter what you told them to do.

Lastly I had a Predator that wouldn't move very far in any direction from its spot near the war factory, but it eventually sorted itself out.

Nothing showstopping, but all annoying. Currently beating my head against the wall at Temple Prime in Sarajevo with GDI.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Ahh, I just finished that mission. The Ion cannon is your friend - you can't fire it inside the NOD base but it can make a serious dent in attacking forces and it can also deal with the Obelisks outside.

Also, aircraft can't be shot by the Obelisks. Once they're out of the way it all becomes a lot easier.

The only thing I can say is "Mammoth Tank Ready.  Armoured Superiority."

I was irritated to find that Avatar was so weak in comparison (even fully upgraded).  When I got a chance to steal GDI forces in Operation Stilletto I was celebrating complete ownage I was about to unleash upon my enemies =)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I like the APC so much. Even if it doesn't stand so good in bigger battles, it's fun to upgrade them by putting rocket, granat or even zone troppers in them. They are an excellent AA-Defense with rocket soldiers, you can forget the buggy (don't even know his name, never built it :) )
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Grawr

• Morituri Nolumus Mori.
Those little buggies are amazing against the mighty Scrin Devastator Warship, though :P. I keep a pack of ten buggies in reserve for just such situations... Avatar's are fun, but they're like the Tripod and Juggernaut- siege, not assault... I use the Avatar to clear out enemy defense structures at range, and then zip in with stealth tanks to lay waste to the base while the enemy focuses on the visible Avatar's...

As far as bugs go, though, the game has one huge and crippling one for me. At random, the game will lockup and spawn a BSOD-reboot. Extremely frustrating, considering I'm way over the game's min specs and also within supported hardware.
The optimist sees a glass half full, the pessimist sees a glass half empty, and the engineer sees a glass twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I'm part way through the GDI campaign at the moment and so far I actually really do like it... but...

The formula seems quite simple. Turtle your base and harvest resources until you reach the top of the available tech tree - then head out and destroy the enemy.

Not that there's anything wrong with that as such - but it does seem to become a bit too simple a formula. There isn't a huge variety of units per side (although there is a different in unit styles per side) and things like artillery are entirely missing. It'd also be nice to have the option to mount rail guns (as GDI) instead of those anti-vehicle turrets - as rail guns seem to do a lot more damage. It's an obvious evolution.

That said I've not finished it all off - so perhaps I shouldn't judge just yet.
The Sonic Cannon takes the place of the smaller Gun Turret later on/higher in the tech tree. Its an absolutely devastating defensive weapon with similar power to the Obelisk.  Perhaps more depending on how it hits the units.  Also the Titan bombardment mode in combination with a Sniper Team works quite well as long range artillery.  Nod also has the Beam cannon which is artillery that works great in groups and in combination with a Venom.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Ahh yes, I do like those sonic cannons, just entered that phase of the campaign!

Unfortunately I'm now infuriated. The aliens have a set of powerful gunships with ranges longer than my anti-air can reach. The best defense seems to be aircraft with air to air missiles but often the damage seems done before they can take out the target.

Offline Grawr

• Morituri Nolumus Mori.
Devastator Warships, those are buckets of fun and are actually really easy to counter. As GDI, Firehawks, or buggies in a pinch- you just have to keep an eye out of for them... If you're using firehawks, have them hover around the area that the warships are coming from the most... Although, once the Scrin start to reinforce their Devastator's with PAC's, you'll probably want to stick to buggies.
The optimist sees a glass half full, the pessimist sees a glass half empty, and the engineer sees a glass twice as big as it needs to be.

Mass Mammoth Tanks can take out anything =D

GDI.  Doing things the hard way since 1995.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Well played it. Overall it's what I thought Tiberian Sun was going to be as a game. Unfortunately because TS took the tech a little too far for such a short period of time, C&C3 does feel a bit too retro.

Anyway, after checking the EA boards for people's opinions on the game/plot/etc. one thing thing has emerged:
People can't see the obvious.

There's tons of complaints that the plotlines from Tiberian Sun and Firestorm were dropped, despite the fact that the core of the game is on a few small plotpoints there.

The big complaint is the dropping of CABAL and "killing him off in an intel brief."

This of course misses the whole point of: (SPOILERS)

Kane isn't human. CABAL is shown with a chamber full of Kane clones. Why isn't GDI surprised that Kane lives? They found the humanoid clones in an abandoned CABAL bunker. The Scrin also know about Kane. It seems pretty clear that CABAL *is* Kane, and Firestorm's events were a test to see how Nod would react to a new threat such as the Visitors which led to Kane realizing he needed to control Nod directly. Which is also why he didn't trust Qatar because he knew she'd act like how Slaavick did against CABAL... The question is what's the relation between Kane and the Overlord? Has Kane gone from Tiberium seeded world to world looking for a race to use as a tool? Taking advantage of Earth religions and inequalities to create the Brotherhood to use as troops for an interstellar war?... But then why pretend that all of the information he has came from the Tacitus? Unless he knows that people wouldn't trust him if he was too messianic in nature. (by claiming the knowledge was from god or stating he was an AI to his inner circle?)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Zone Troopers and Commandos ROCK!

Hell, I took out half the Nod nad Scrin bases just with those guys. Have to watch out for air units tough with them.

The last mission - I captured both Nod and Scrin bases and my final assault consisted of Avatars, Mammoths and Devastators. Simply unstopable :D
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
They found the humanoid clones in an abandoned CABAL bunker.

Did they? The intel entry suggested that they were still finding Cabal bunkers. Regardless, I wouldn't ever be surprised if Kane reappeared after apparently being killed, since he's done it three times now.

I still think Kane is just a particularly smart, intelligent human being. He wants to take humanity to the next level and Tiberium is the way to do that. That's the sort of thing the Brotherhood has been doing for centuries - 'guiding' humanity through history, making sure the 'correct' choices are made.

(Which is what I always liked about the GDI and NOD fluff back in the original C&C - one is a power-hungry coalition of puppeteers manipulating world events to suit their desires, the other is the Brotherhood of Nod. Seriously, both sides are shadowy secret organisations using the First and Third Worlds to fight their battles; it's like the Freemasons versus the Illuminati.)

Offline Grawr

• Morituri Nolumus Mori.
The tubes in the CABAL bunkers are the Biological part of CABAL- Computer Assisted Biological Artificial Lifeform, IIRC. That Kane was a part of that is up for debate.

What is known is that Kane is somehow unnatural, or that he has a great many stand-ins to die in his place. The Brotherhood goes back to the biblical story of Cain(sp?) killing his brother Abel- there's a coffin in Renegade with Abel written in Hebrew, to boot, and his InterPol file is GENsomething), and that KAne was banished to the Land of Nod, which means that he was to be an eternal wanderer, as Nod is Hebrew for nothing IIRC. And he was cursed to live until the proverbial judgment day, and that no man could slay him to end his exile.

Now, you can divulge many different theories about Kane's roots from that, but since none of them are verifiable, I don't think it's a worthwhile endeavor.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The big complaint is the dropping of CABAL and "killing him off in an intel brief."

Didn't you kill him off in the last mission of Firestorm, or am I just going crazy?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior

Didn't you kill him off in the last mission of Firestorm, or am I just going crazy?

that was my thought too.

anyway: Kane has not gotten much older over the 50 years or so the Tiberium Wars have been raging. We shouldn't forget that
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline Grawr

• Morituri Nolumus Mori.
The tubes in the CABAL bunkers are the Biological part of CABAL- Computer Assisted Biological Artificial Lifeform, IIRC. That Kane was a part of that is up for debate.

What is known is that Kane is somehow unnatural, or that he has a great many stand-ins to die in his place. The Brotherhood goes back to the biblical story of Cain(sp?) killing his brother Abel- there's a coffin in Renegade with Abel written in Hebrew, to boot, and his InterPol file is GENsomething), and that KAne was banished to the Land of Nod, which means that he was to be an eternal wanderer, as Nod is Hebrew for nothing IIRC. And he was cursed to live until the proverbial judgment day, and that no man could slay him to end his exile.

Now, you can divulge many different theories about Kane's roots from that, but since none of them are verifiable, I don't think it's a worthwhile endeavor.

Having this same discussion somewhere else, and wanted to add to what I wrote... would edit, but it's sorta fallen back a bit, so here is the expanded bit... Slight spoilers, maybe.

So, more or less, there is more to the persona of "Kane" than has been shown so far. He's obviously not Scrin- at least, not the race called Scrin in the game. I'm under the influence that he is related somehow to the race from which the race in the game splintered from... that is, in C&C3, more of the Tacitus has been decoded, and the warning in it made more clear; it says that the Scrin in the game are not the Scrin that wrote it, but are somehow related to them. Since the tale of Cain & Abel is about brotherhood and betrayal, well, I think the theory in there is obvious.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I just remember in TS seeing Kane as part metal or something, and it looked pretty ridiculous. I take it they ditched that? Here's hoping.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I just remember in TS seeing Kane as part metal or something, and it looked pretty ridiculous. I take it they ditched that? Here's hoping.
Yep...that one looked like he had been beaten around a bit.  The "current" Kane is looking just like he did in Tiberium Dawn.  Its almost freaky because Joe Kucan hasn't aged either from the looks of it...even without the makeup!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."