Author Topic: Gender objectification in games  (Read 87472 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Re: Gender objectification in games
Looks like it got deleted. About a "lawyer" in gamergate trying to subpoena the courts to obtain personal info on Gamergate critics.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:45:16 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I saw a thread like you describe, it started with the guy just bringing out a bunch of legal points, then he made a "doxx doxx doxx" tweat and everyone seemed to just pause and go "aw crap" didn't see what happened after that. the doxings in question were IIRC specifically to be levied against people who were to be charged with harassment for what it's worth. the lawyer in question is not the primary counsel of Eron Gonji but he is apparently somehow in contact with him, maybe providing advice. my guess is the tweats he made are still on his twitter (unless he changed his mind), I'll see if I can find his account.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it was this guy:
https://twitter.com/PlayDangerously

I don't see the dox comment, either he deleted it, or it was fake.

[edit] looking at some of his recent posts he deleted it[/edit]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:45:27 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Oh yes, that guy.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
wow that article really is something one can Listen to and Believe™
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
All that damn quoting.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

The Gaurdian on why this is not  a "two side" discussion
But even leaving aside the fact that Gamergate’s “argument” is an irreconcilable mess of trembly fingered accusations, vendettas and uncertain nods to complex problems, the fact remains that there is only one “side” to be discussed, and that is Gamergate itself. As much as it would like to nominate as its opponent a power-axis of leftist games critics, mainstream journalists, developers, activists and academics, this axis doesn’t exist.

Nor do Gamergate’s critics mass beneath any banner, or rally together to punish individual targets the way Gamergate does. The misdemeanours alluded to are many and various because this “other side” is simply people from all walks of life, gamers and non-gamers alike, reacting (or not reacting, as the case may be) to Gamergate.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
side A) "you bunch of corrupt journalists!"
side B) "you aren't even a side! see this journalist says so"

can't help but find that amusing.

and all the while they gain ground, I heard that they managed to get Mercedes and BMW to pull adds from Gawker, the parent company of most of the sites that published the gamers are dead articles. for a side with no side they sure are proving damned effective. I suppose in
the end it doesn't really mater if you or I believe GG has a point, what really maters is if the advertisers for these sites believe they have a point.

actually interesting interview I just stubled uppon somewhat related to the subject: http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/gamergate-in-the-media/54356bd178c90acf2a000a0a
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

side B) "we aren't even a side! see this journalist says so"

Fixed. A bit.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ok, doesn't look that different to me.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
side B) "we aren't even a side! see this journalist says so"

Fixed. A bit.

I'm not sure that's really relevant, there's no denying other people are members of Anti-GG and that isn't used to imply anything, because we already accept a bias towards a persons own opinion, so why should the same truth in the opposite direction be relevant either?

Offline Luis Dias

Pro Gamergate and Anti Gamergate interview:

http://mangotron.com/pro-vs-anti-gamergate-two-interviews/

For the moment, the really cool side effect that this skirmish has had is the total meltdown of Gawker media personalities. What a pathetic bunch those guys are, jesus ****ing christ.

e: can't help but read Vega's manifesto on what "they" were up to and what "they" are going to do next and for what reasons. I guess it's a kind of a collective like the Borg. Irrespectively of what "their" burn-everything strategies are, it's obvious it's not working out, and if anything it's creating huge divisions between the audiences, further adding to the fuel.

And for all my attempts at trying to figure it out, no one has managed to explain to me why that "grimachu" piece was "offensive" at all, let alone deserving of slandering its author of being a rape apologist. The reason why I am harping on this one is several fold, but here's just one. The reason why I am driven a bit angry at this is because I've seen this **** before in the Atheist circles, and it not only shattered the movement, not only it divided it in two, the sliming cowardly false accusations that started from that point on, slandering everyone who didn't toe the party line as a "raep apologist!", was such a wave of horrifying proportions that I for one will never forget it. The most common perpretators of it were labeled "FTBullies" for their HQ was (and still is) FreeThoughtBlogs and from time to time they still manage to sling **** towards the mainstream arenas of discussion.

Don't let that poison destroy gaming.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:52:11 am by Luis Dias »

Don't let that poison destroy gaming.

There's many poisons in gaming. None of them will destroy it, even though there are quite a few that are far more potent then the opinion of an indie dev on a person whose opinion was redacted from the escapist because

We have removed the testimony of James Desborough, after we've received evidence that he has harassed some contributors to The Escapist. Due to our strong policy against all harassment and abuse, Desborough's opinions will no longer be presented alongside those of his colleagues.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
for a side with no side they sure are proving damned effective. I suppose in
the end it doesn't really mater if you or I believe GG has a point, what really maters is if the advertisers for these sites believe they have a point.

Oh, yes, getting PR departments who operate very conservatively to withdraw from a potentially problematic area, that's a GREAT SUCCESS! Surely this will serve to put an end to problematic and unethical behaviour, yes sir.

God, this is pathetic. So instead of figuring out what ethics means, gamergate would rather put pressure on sites so that they start to implement censorship to appeal to gamergate sensibilities. It appears to me that gamergate's problem isn't that gaming media is controlled by a shadowy cabal, it's that it's controlled by the wrong shadowy cabal.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

It seems to me that this is the only method available to the audiences if the very media that should listen to them are occupied in slandering them and their hashtags.

Boycotts and these kinds of pressures are all the tools available for them. And you wonder why they are being used.

You kinda get the sense of insanity when you learn with all these discussions on the media (that boing boing article above as example) that being a "right wing" is now an insult. An insult.

It seems to me that this is the only method available to the audiences if the very media that should listen to them are occupied in slandering them and their hashtags.

Why should the media listen to people who, in your own words, "[are a] rage movement mob in twitter [which] is behaving mob-like and with rage"?

Boycotts and these kinds of pressures are all the tools available for them. And you wonder why they are being used.

It isn't. It's simply the only option this mob *thinks* it has. Gamergate is many things - "Uncompromising" is one of them, but becoming open to compromises and negotiation is not a method that has come out of that collective as of yet - and that would help a great deal. Like I said before, as long as Gamergate is a revamped edition of the quinnspiracy, it will never succeed.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I've seen this **** before in the Atheist circles,

This, ****ing A+ broke the atheist community, and killed it's momentum.
nice job breaking it hero.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it will never succeed.

except it's totally succeeding at bringing down the sites that it thinks are corrupt. it thinks sites like RPS, Kotaku, Gamasutra, etc are unwilling to change, it got that impression from the 'gamers are dead' articles. so if they will not change then they will be brought down, and they are totally succeeding at that. these sites have war chests in the millions it'll probably take months to years or so before they start shuting down, but the damage is done.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Luis Dias

Why should the media listen to people who, in your own words, "[are a] rage movement mob in twitter [which] is behaving mob-like and with rage"?

Because they caused that very rage.

It isn't. It's simply the only option this mob *thinks* it has. Gamergate is many things - "Uncompromising" is one of them, but becoming open to compromises and negotiation is not a method that has come out of that collective as of yet - and that would help a great deal. Like I said before, as long as Gamergate is a revamped edition of the quinnspiracy, it will never succeed.

It's been fun to watch media people and their fains proclaiming that #gamergate is over and so on for the past two months. Sad too but hey.