Author Topic: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice v1.0 (Windows, Mac & Linux)  (Read 856138 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice
Also, what exactly is R1.5? Is that an expansion of R1 or a standalone release?

Basically if we're happy with multiplayer but not yet close to R2 we'll release a big patch and include all the multiplayer stuff in that. If we're only happy with multiplayer when R2 rolls round, we'll include it there.

So basically R1.5 might never happen. It depends on the multiplayer feedback we get and how fast we can crank out R2.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Hey!
I absolutely loved R1!, I've played every at least mission 5 times already.
So glad it accualy got released.
Surprisingly my computer can play it smoothly, so I hope the self shadowing will be in R2?
And will the basestars get an inside? you are already able to fly through the hangar doors  :cool:. That would be cool for some missions.

In M3 I bumped into Obit once  :lol: one of the many incredible details!

Is it possible to show a pilot's wing/number in the dialogue?  Right now, I'll see a message like "Pizzaface: I need some help here!" and I'll have no idea where or who Pizzaface is.  He could be anyone... Red 3, Blue 1, etc.  Sure, there's about a 1/10 chance I'm actually going to break off and assist Pizzaface so, it's not a big deal if this is just done for immersion and not functionality.  However, I could see a potential mission objective (or bonus) where x% of a wing has to survive so some dialogue clarification would help.

This is actually just as relevant to multiplayer. I had my first session yesterday and I played a co-op mission where I got several messages from the other player to form up on his wing or cover him. Unfortunately, I didn't remember what slot he was in so I would just pick up a random friendly pilot and follow them, assuming that they got the same commands.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Random question - as Diaspora is a fork, can we expect the codebase to be re-merged with the main FSO codebase in the near future?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
A lot of the changes (if not all of them) have already been merged back into trunk :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Random question - as Diaspora is a fork, can we expect the codebase to be re-merged with the main FSO codebase in the near future?

It's not a fork, it's a branch. As E9 states, most of the changes are already in trunk. I've been working on SEXPs to solve one of the other issues.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Quite apart from everything else, missiles were nerfed because BSG has always been about gun battles. We couldn't capture the real feeling of the show when missiles did more damage. Every time we tried battles became more about killing things with missiles than guns.
Given that every mission you score 10+ kills and you have only 4 missiles, well.. you tested it several times so you're probably right, but maybe it would be a better idea not to give them at all? And give them only on special oportunities.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Seems kinda stupid though. Why the hell would the military not put missiles on their ships?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I recall one of the things that I was excited for in BtRL was that variables would be used to keep track of ordnance stores. You never saw many missiles in the series because stores on the Galactica were limited. You can't launch fighters with missiles every mission when you're limited on missiles... else you'll run out of missiles very quick! The Theseus is not on the verge of being decomissioned, has a full stock of ordnance, and probably does not expect to be completely isolated over the next few days - they will launch all the ordnance they have to deal with the threat at hand. Once a Galactica campaign comes to be, that certainly won't be the case.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Exactly.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

They must have had some means of producing missiles on the Galactica. Otherwise why would they waste them on target practice?
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline newman

I seem to recall they re-purposed some civies to make the regular KEW ammo. Missiles would be more complex, requiring a rocket engine, an explosive warhead, and a guidance system. Since they're space missiles, you'd need RCS and/or a vector thrusting engine for it to maneuver, as well. Not sure if they were able to re-build those.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, given that Pegasus was able to manufacture Vipers out of raw materials, I would assume they also have facilities to produce missiles.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline newman

That's true. I was thinking more in terms of Galactica + civie fleet.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We did actually start seeing missiles used more often once the Pegasus was in the show.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's true. I was thinking more in terms of Galactica + civie fleet.

I always assumed that, once Peggie was around, they started distributing manufacturing capabilities. Pegasus herself is a military-industrial complex with engines; as such, I thought they used the tooling there to distribute manufacturing capacity throughout the fleet. Not ot mention they had a whole year on New Caprica in which to build up stockpiles of stuff.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I seem to recall they re-purposed some civies to make the regular KEW ammo. Missiles would be more complex, requiring a rocket engine, an explosive warhead, and a guidance system. Since they're space missiles, you'd need RCS and/or a vector thrusting engine for it to maneuver, as well. Not sure if they were able to re-build those.

The episode I was thinking of was when Apollo was off fomenting sedition with the President on Kobol and they were breaking in a new CAG. So pre-Pegasus. The missiles they were using seemed to be dumb-fire, hence the target practice, so maybe they were easier to produce.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Released!

what a pleasant surprise to check the site and see R1 is done!!! congratulations to all who were involved, lords know you've deserved it, and i'm thrilled to start playing!

cheers,
craprica

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I figured I'd stick this here so it could have a more permanent forum -

I have some quibbles with the mission design in a few of the set piece battles. In particular, I don't think the missions effectively leverage expected lines of sight to frame key events. Take mission 6 - one of the first big events is the arrival of a second Cylon base ship. The player gets a message (which is great), but is unlikely to see the ship actually jump in, because the Quasar wing raiders - the player's current objective - approach from what seems like a random angle. This means the player is likely off tangling with Quasar.

If Quasar came in from a fixed position (and I know there are issues with this) you could anticipate the player's expected line of sight, presumably off Quasar's tail, and set the base ship's arrival on the line drawn between the player and Theseus, extended out past. This kind of framing psychology, drawing the player's eye towards key information, is something I've heard a lot about from guys like Valve and found pretty effective in FS. Hopefully at least worth thinking about.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yes. One of the first time I remember it used in FS was in STR, the mission where the Hope decides that Ramming Always Work.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras