Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 578219 times)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
well..yea..but the composition is uniform. If you want to save that data, it's so easy to compress.
Heck, you don't even have to save those blocks. Save the DIFFERENCE.

So chucks above 64 height wuldn't even be saved unless there's something in them.

I'm not entirely sure you understand how this entire thing works...
"No"

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
@TrashMan: Notchcode is dumb.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
FYI, if a user by the name of "phraenk" joins the server, he's a friend of mine.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hey, does anyone happen to know who built a small house near -1150, 1400 recently?  It's not really an immediate conflict or anything, and it's hard to tell without dynmap available, but that spot's fairly close to my house, and it might be in an area that I had thought about doing something with down the road.  Just curious.

Along the same lines, I feel like it would be a good idea to encourage anyone who's relatively new to the server to plop down a sign labeling their stuff.  I'd like to try to start up a campaign to better mark some of the older structures on the server, since there's so much that doesn't have an identifying label on it, and it'll be all the more difficult to do that if we can't even keep track of who's doing what now.  It would also be a good way of resolving any potential space-usage issues that come up in the future.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Not a bad idea...

I plan to place large maps (made from blocks) at Old and New Trashmania to help navigate and get some bearing.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Along the same lines, I feel like it would be a good idea to encourage anyone who's relatively new to the server to plop down a sign labeling their stuff.  I'd like to try to start up a campaign to better mark some of the older structures on the server, since there's so much that doesn't have an identifying label on it, and it'll be all the more difficult to do that if we can't even keep track of who's doing what now.  It would also be a good way of resolving any potential space-usage issues that come up in the future.
Yeah, I'll modify the MotD (login message) to say that, if anyone has other suggestions as to what the login message should say, feel free to post them here :)
(yes, I will add colour codes so that minimap entity stuff works)
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
No MotD suggestions, but did you get around to finding a non-op method for me to toggle creative off and on? ;)

Also, what's up with that test server in the end (not the End)? Planning on switching to it?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Got a question here
Running a Hamachi Server as opposed to a Port Forwarding server: Does one benefit over the other on a client side speed basis? Got a fellow from South Africa, who's got not so great internet. It works here and there, but could it work better without the Hamachi medium, even if it's just a little bit?
"No"

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Got a question here
Running a Hamachi Server as opposed to a Port Forwarding server: Does one benefit over the other on a client side speed basis? Got a fellow from South Africa, who's got not so great internet. It works here and there, but could it work better without the Hamachi medium, even if it's just a little bit?
I would imagine that it would work best without Hamachi since that's a VPN layer being added to the connection.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hey everybody, it's time to play the game Minecraft with Mongoose, where I get to bore you with pictures of some of my shenanigans!  Excited?  No?  Too bad!

First up, we have a few shots from The End on our own server, with Kyad (ab)using his creative powers for fun and profit, i.e. Endermen genocide.  A good time was had by all, except the ones who are dead:

Next up are some singleplayer shenanigans.  When the Superflat map mode arrived with 1.1, I figured I'd try a Survival game on it, just for kicks.  So long as you leave structures turned on, it turns out it's actually possible; the chests in NPC village blacksmith shops sometimes contain saplings and iron, and you can use lava from the blacksmith's to set up a cobblestone generator.  Granted, it took me about fifteen blacksmith shops in as many towns to even find my first saplings, but still.  Anyways, for whatever reason, I didn't see much in the way of animals as I traversed the map, so I decided to haul all the groups I did find back to the village where I'd set up camp.  What resulted was fairly amusing:

As a side note, if you do give this map mode a try, you're probably going to want to turn on Peaceful difficulty at some point.  Because the entire terrain is perfectly flat and set to a y-coordinate of 4, slimes spawn absolutely everywhere.  I managed to build a wall high enough to keep most of the bastards out, but a few kept spawning inside my town.  The sound alone is enough to make you want them gone.

And as a parting shot, here's a little something from my original Survival map.  I'd long since explored a single map-item's-worth of terrain centered around my house, and after constructing at least part of a suspended rail system out to its edges, I decided to head out to the middle of a new map area and scout around.  I've only found a precious few Ender pearls (stupid not-burning-in-sunlight), which gave me the general direction of the nearest Stronghold, so I headed that way.  Turns out that the majority of the area was an ocean biome, so I spent an enjoyable few days sailing around.  Near the end, when I was exploring the one significant landmass on foot, I stumbled across an absolutely-stunning mountain-ringed valley:

That picture doesn't even do it proper justice.  I'm definitely coming back there at some point and building something.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Yeah. Slimes spawn EVERYWHERE on ultraflat maps. It's really ****ing annoying. Not to mention that I already hate slimes, so....

It does seem to show that building on Ultraflat land, be it the Ultraflat generated or the MCEdited land, like New Trashmania) is risky in terms of mob spawning. I'm certain it's worse when Creepers can also blow your stuff up, too.

I've found a new spot somewhere far far away from civilization thanks to waypoints I've put up to a small house and tower, the new location is two mountain formations with view to the water, so it's pretty high. Will still be a lot of work to expand upwards after the height limit increase though, but it's a great location nonetheless. :) Generally going about going everywhere though.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Wait...is that you right next door to me, JC?  Because you're pretty close to civilization if it is. :p

And Creepers aren't much of a concern on Superflat, honestly, unless you're out wandering around at night.  Wall off your area and keep the inside well-lit, and nothing's going to be spawning near your stuff anyway.   Heck, just going to sleep at night seems to keep their spawns way down as-is.

Doubt it, if you know where the N7 symbol is, there's a ton of wilderniss beyond it that seem to have nothing developed. My first creations, which I'm still upgrading and improving (Keep and Fort) are now indeed part of civilization due to the road works, expansion and being connected to the rail. Then there's several smaller things I'm doing in between of everything.

I'll have to gather the x-y-z data on it tomorrow to be sure though - I haven't built anything visible at that new location yet and would hate to be in the way of someone.

Attached a picture from a few days ago, Trashman, me and PopKhorne in PopKhorne's area, close to my Keep. :) This game really is best when hanging out with others.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ahhh.fun times!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you guys haven't tried the Pirate Speak language setting, do it.  It's pretty damn hilarious. :D

Unrelated-like, does anyone on here still use the server formerly known as Pece's?  I'm not even sure if they have a dynmap up or not, though it looked like they'd started another map (but kept the original) last time I was in there.  If no one's into it anymore, I can remove it from the first post.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
I refuse to bother with that person's server. Necro can go screw himself with the proverbial dildo

Also, how's that situation coming along Pec?
"No"

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I have come to realise that I spent £14 on a game that refuses to utilize my duel processors, despite using Optifine MultiCore.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken