Poll

The cost of hiring one of mjn.mixael's coworkers to complete a model is about $300.  How much would you be willing to contribute?

$1
2 (2.7%)
$5
4 (5.3%)
$10
8 (10.7%)
$25
4 (5.3%)
$50
3 (4%)
$75
0 (0%)
$100
1 (1.3%)
$150
0 (0%)
$200
0 (0%)
$250
0 (0%)
$300
0 (0%)
Snuffleupagus (i.e. naught but well wishes)
53 (70.7%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: MjnMixael Makes Characters  (Read 47389 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: MjnMixael Begs For Help
We recently picked up Poser for the studio, and as such, I was able to use it to get assets from all over the internet to make this job MUCH simpler. I grabbed pieces and chunks of various outfits here and there. Then I started clothing my human mesh from scratch each time. I don't think I've moved from my office since I posted this thread except to eat and sleep.

The results are below. Now I need to add detail such as eyewear and other fun things Then a real texturing job. Last is rigging and animation. Of course I still don't have a pilot.... Some need fixing in places and some don't. You can make your suggestions if you feel you need to, but I'll probably ignore them and do what I know I need to do/want to do. I say that cause some of you just don't have a sense of "good enough" when you aren't the one putting all the work into it.

....... aaaaanywho......

I present to you Jules, Rick, Sebastion, and Harper respectively. (Note: They'll get different faces soon).

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: MjnMixael Makes Characters
I present to you Jules, Rick, Sebastion, and Harper respectively. (Note: They'll get different faces soon).
You'll need an Adam as well. ;)  Here's a more recent picture for you: http://www.volition-inc.com/Staff/AdamPletcher

There's also a series of old hi-res renders from the original game floating around somewhere, which you've probably found already.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Getting closer and closer for the Marine...

Offline Kolgena

Just going off the FS2 intro cinematic, the eyepiece is supposed to be a lot thinner/rectangular. It doesn't look as square as you have it there.

I can't remember if the eyepiece is seen in anything FS1, since I didn't play that much, but if it's presented as squarish there, I'd definitely agree that your model should follow the FS1 variants.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So.. I'm just curious, regardless of which game it comes from... what in the world makes you think that the shape of the eyepiece is going to make any said cutscene better or worse?

That's almost like saying that EndGame isn't good enough because the Ursa flies slightly lower at 00:37 in the original...  :nervous: or that the cables or too thick...

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
What marine was visible in FS2? Pilot, sure, but marine? And yeah, youtube freespace hall fight for a better reference.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Kolgena

When I first saw it, it kinda looked blocky and tacky, like a kid's toy, so I went to the only source I could think of to check what it looked like from before. I saw something in the "original" (even though that cutscene contradicts canon in so many ways) that was somewhat less tacky, and suggested it as a possible thing you could look into. I'm not quite sure that's a cables-too-thick type of feedback.

Something akin to cables-too-thick would be me ranting several paragraphs about how your model sucks because the eyepiece's lens isn't centered on the user's pupil.

Offline Kolgena

What marine was visible in FS2? Pilot, sure, but marine? And yeah, youtube freespace hall fight for a better reference.

Dead marine, desert planet of FS2 intro cinematic "32 years since the great war..."

You see the eyepiece up close on a skeleton.

Edit: Sorry for double post, and I just watched Hall-fight. While the shape is different from the FS2 cutscene, it's definitely less square than the new model's. However, there's really only one scene of 2 seconds where you get to see a relatively still eyepiece close up, so it's like, no big deal unless we're rendering at higher resolutions than the original.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:30:31 am by Kolgena »

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well sorry to disappoint you, but you are wrong about the eyepiece. I'm using hi-res renders of each character from :v: to make them and the render of the marine clearly shows a "squarish" eyepiece with rounded corners. In fact, I just checked the FS2 intro and the eyepiece looks just as square... it's just from a top angle where you can't really tell anything about the shape.

I think it's fine how it is.

Kolgena: Based on your many recent posts.. it really seems to me that you always try to find something... anything to say is wrong about a given model. It needs to be said that we modellers are not required to make an exact copy of the geometry. Our job is to make a brand new model that looks fantastic but still captures the feel of the original design.

Offline Kolgena

You've got to realize that I try to contribute more than "hey, sweet. It's awesome". It goes without saying that I think all of the stuff here is awesome, but I try to provide whatever feedback I can. (Why else would people post up WIP shots?) I expect most of it to get no followup, but I imagine people would appreciate an extra set of eyes to look out for details.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Meh...

Like *sorta* I said a few posts up, I don't rely on feedback from the forum anymore. People are either way too picky or way too rude (not saying you were rude). I get reliable feedback from specific individuals around HLP that I have already worked closely with and who understand my work flow. In this way, I end up far less annoyed and with a much better finished product.

I post these so the community can at least see what I'm working on.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I personally agree. The Sath was pretty much made with the input from the FSU Internal Board before being unleashed on the public. This obviously caused an issue, so now modellers are under pressure to come out of the closet. I pretty much just explain why I did things on models now as opposed to trying to integrate every users needs and wants.

Offline Luis Dias

Meh...

Like *sorta* I said a few posts up, I don't rely on feedback from the forum anymore. People are either way too picky or way too rude (not saying you were rude). I get reliable feedback from specific individuals around HLP that I have already worked closely with and who understand my work flow. In this way, I end up far less annoyed and with a much better finished product.

Yes, I think this is the best approach ;)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Meh...

Atta boy! :)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's ALIVE!

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
HOLY **** ON A **** SANDWICH

YOU DESERVE MORE THAN MY $10 I WAS PLANNING ON CONTRIBUTING
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
WIN.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yeah! He looks like he's ready to kick ass with his downsized ML-16.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
HOLY **** ON A **** SANDWICH

YOU DESERVE MORE THAN MY $10 I WAS PLANNING ON CONTRIBUTING

Well, now's your chance for you (and everyone else) to put your money where your mouth is. :)

I've added a button to the first post in the thread.  Go donate!

EDIT: If everybody who pledged money in the poll donates what they pledged, we'll raise $322, enough to automatically get another model. :)  I've already sent in my pledge.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:56:08 am by Goober5000 »