Author Topic: Problem with beam weapons  (Read 4042 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Problem with beam weapons
I don't know if this is the right board for this or if this should be in the SCP forum, but since downloading the new 3.6.10 Media VP, i have noticed that anti-capital beams ie Bgreen, Terslash etc have all started to target fighters, bombers and bombs! at first i thought it might be a mod messing things up so i uninstalled FS2 and did a fresh install, and just put the media vps in and nothing else no mods at all. It is still doing it, i created a mission in fred with just an Orion and shivan figthers and bombers, and the orion fired the Bgreens and Terslashs at them. Its as if the game is ignoring the "huge" flags in the weapon tables. Has anyone else had this Problem?

Oh i am using the build recommended in the media VP read me the nightly 4989.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Problem with beam weapons
Well huge weapons have targeted bombs all the time so seeing those beams targeting bombs (and often bombers should they hang 'behind the bomb screen') is not surprising. If they are targeting fighters then that would be a problem
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I've made a few missions without bombers, just hercs attacking an hostile Orion and each time the Bgreens try to take them down, they have even taken me down afew times, Ouch!
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

don't worry. i've died 11 times because the ****ing mjolinirs, the colossus, and a ****ing orion. (all of this are friendly BTW)
(the majority of the times i had not crossed the line of fire, and still fired on me.)
 :hopping: :hopping: :hopping:

but i guess i have EXTREMELY bad luck.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I've made a few missions without bombers, just hercs attacking an hostile Orion and each time the Bgreens try to take them down, they have even taken me down afew times, Ouch!
First.. could you try without mediavps. If there is change in the behaviour then report it. However if the problem persists even without mediavps...Could you try earlier nightly builds to see when this behavior started (roughly... no need to check every build)?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

You know, i just had this weird experience myself, and i'll tell you guys all about it

Spoiler:
It was in transcend, the mission where you go through the battlefield of GTVA after you've just met Saya. You get tasked with taking out the bombers targeting civilians. So i head straight for the first bomber group. i frontal them and take down a sekhmet(spelling?). the 3 remaining bombers fire off their missiles and then it happens, all four of us (me and the bombers) get's taken out in the blink of an eye by the BFgreen of an orion destroyer in the distance!

I was like.... What? :confused:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:59:03 pm by Hero_Swe »

yea... Ive only ran into this problem twice, and i got owned both times. First was in Derelict when the MT Auriga Orion first shows off its long range BFGreen,  instead of targeting the frieghter like its supposed to, I got picked off from over 6k away by a BFG. Man, MT's BFGreens have pinpoint accurarcy :P
The second time was in Bearbaiting, where the Sath had clearly heard about alpha 1, decided my bomber was more of a priority then the Phonecia Hecate class directly in front of it, and proceeded to 4-way skewer me with all 4 BFReds.
Its only happned twice... but it is a wth moment.

maneuverable ? pfffft. Look at the Basilisk or Aeshma (i think thats how its spelt) . I dont know what class of fighters they are (Heavy assault), but they fly like a retarded seagull.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The second time was in Bearbaiting, where the Sath had clearly heard about alpha 1, decided my bomber was more of a priority then the Phonecia Hecate class directly in front of it, and proceeded to 4-way skewer me with all 4 BFReds.
That's smart of the Sathanas, actually :P
Is the AI growing sentient? :nervous:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Kolgena

I think I have the exact opposite problem. After getting the 3.6.10 stuff, I notice that cap ships no longer use beams on each other unless the mission scripts them to do so or something. Like, if you go into mission simulator and select single missions, the first Big Battle has tons of cap ships that shoot blobs at each other, collide, and such. No beam attacks though. The second big battle is fine, however.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not, but it's kind of bothersome, and I imagine it'll make the missions I'm coming up to impossible. At Roman's Blunder, I found it
actually quite difficult to beat even after the Psamtik comes in, because it just sits there and shoots blobs instead of using beams against the NTF cruisers.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Only one of the Massive Battle missions actually uses beams. The other one is beam-locked. This is to allow for certain testing capabilities.

Honestly, those missions shouldn't really have been released, but they do allow for an interesting show case and performance benchmark.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Kolgena

Hmm. I'm now at the mission where you have to defend the Oberon and keep the Aquitaine alive while it jumps to Gamma Draconis.

I'm having a terrible time (played the mission about 12 times now on medium, hard and insane), and can't seem to beat it. Everything's pretty easy to do, but the Aquitaine always jumps out leaving the Moloch with anywhere between 15%-60% hull integrity. I remember beating this mission without the 3.6.10 vps in one go, but I can't seem to get past it. I find the Moloch, after losing its beams, drops behind the Aquitaine. After a while, it's only in the firing arc of the rear beam, so it's basically impossible to kill after that.

I'm not sure exactly if this is due to a change in the mission done in the vps, or messed up beams, but if I don't get a solution, I'll delete my pilot and restart so I can skip the mission (I misclicked on the 5th fail)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
You should get another chance to skip the mission if you keep failing it again.

Offline Kolgena

Not if you misclick "Do not show this message again" :P

Edit: I just realized... Isn't killing the Moloch a Secondary Objective? Why does the game fail me every time it jumps out?
Also, sorry about taking this thread completely off topic >.>

Edit: K, I figured it out. The mission objectives are wrong in the vp version. I turned off the vps and I beat the mission without killing the Moloch.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:24:35 am by Kolgena »

I once had the experience that a Mara was fried in front of me by a BFgreen. That scared me more then "Dive!" did.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That exists?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
That exists?

Yeah