Author Topic: The Other Sathanas  (Read 74458 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I'm looking at it again, and I think it's mostly the outside of the beam arms themselves that don't quite fit with the rest of the glowmapping. The glow inside the arms (From the exposed parts not covered by the hull plating), as well as that of the joints connecting the arms are rather quite good. I think maybe reducing the amount of glowing shapes on the outside of the hull plates would improve it, unfortunately I can't provide any visual examples.

I think in short, it currently seems to be too illuminated.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Hrm... i'll play round with that when I get back to texturing and post some updates.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The original has a good amount of glow on the arms too.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Kolgena

Are we going to have any glow on the bundles of stuff under the upper "carapace"? It's looking mighty drag right about now :P (I understand that it's WIP)

I agree with everything Commander Zane said. Right now, it's looking a little too noisy on the spikes, and it's obscuring the model geometry.

The body though, man. Simply stellar. Just, stellar.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
The entire underside is completely untextured. Just a base for now.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The original has a good amount of glow on the arms too.
Of course, they just slapped a tile there, and due to the nature of tiles, even if they didn't want it like that they couldn't have done much about it.

Also, I agree with Junko's assessment of the arms, I think the armor plates as well as the stuff below it all having glows is a bit weird, I'd personally try taking the glows off of the armor plates and keeping it on the surface under them.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I think the armor on the arms will get a MAJOR glow-down. They will retain some glowy bits, but as subtle accents instead of a dominating theme.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That sounds promising.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Kolgena

Will wait on further progress.

(Don't go too overboard though, the spikes are still on average supposed to be redder than the body.)

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I will go with what looks good over what looks retail. If retailish looks good, then so be it.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I actually liked the glowmaps on the arms, but I understand where others are coming from when they say it's a bit overdone. In the end, you're a fantastic texturer, and I'm sure you'll get it done superbly.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline wistler

You've just replaced the whale in my nightmares!  :eek:

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
This is simply fantastic. Can't wait to play through the campaign again with this bad boy. (and all the other latest models!) Much kudos, Rga! Also, feel free to make and upload videos any time. :)
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?

Get ready to hit your burners, pilots.

Offline Gloc

• catstronautica
    • an intermittent signal
 :yes:

Time to go bearbaiting.  :D

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
I'd put here a jawdropping smiley but that is not enough. ;)
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline swamper123

• Just call me Swamper
Maybe this is a dumb question , but this model is like the concept art one?
Let's play Blue Planet