Author Topic: The Other Sathanas  (Read 74466 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
God I'm so sorry, I really love almost everything about this model and all you've put into it, but I do just want to register some hopefully constructive criticism.

I feel like the red's been broken up too much. I worry it'll look noisy.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Get ready to hit your burners, pilots.

I won't. It's so beautiful, I'd crash into it.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

The world is full of noise. The trick is hearing the rain.

And this is so many levels of awesome.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Ooooooh man.........screw trying to fight this thing, I'm going to be running the other way. It looks that terrifying now!  :lol:

Fearsome looking model and beautiful textures = win. Congrats on this revamp of the Sathanas, RGA.
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline Kolgena

That is amazing...

Spoiler:
back half reminds me of a marker from Dead Space, but doesn't mean it's any less awesome. It actually makes it even scarier, at least for me.

God I'm so sorry, I really love almost everything about this model and all you've put into it, but I do just want to register some hopefully constructive criticism.

I agree. Your Sath has some nice shapes to it, and you spent a lot of time on the mesh. Having super high contrast between the glowy reds and the silver and the dark parts is breaking up the form too much. Think of how camouflage works. It makes it harder for your eyes to follow the lines, since they dragged around by the texture.

You could try reducing the strength of the red, and see if that helps.

Alternately, you could try baking a glow map. It'd throw some of the red onto the hull, and help unify it.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Looks incredible. Much kudos for your hard work. I do agree it does look a little "noisy" in the screenshot, but if it's still like what you showed in your video, I think flying around it in game will look just fine. My one critique is on the last (furthest to the left/rear) uh... "rib" of the ship (directly above the bottom engines), for some reason the texture looks a little off to me, but I can't quite articulate why.. it almost looks as if the texture was stretched to fit the space or something.. sorry for being so vague. Again, in game it probably looks fine.

And again, superb work. :yes:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Niiiiiiiice. Me likes.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Kolgena

Alternately, you could try baking a glow map. It'd throw some of the red onto the hull, and help unify it.

This would be quite badass, though at those scales, I'm not sure how far the light radius could realistically reach.

Offline Tomo

This would be quite badass, though at those scales, I'm not sure how far the light radius could realistically reach.
Circular glows would look a bit odd, true.

However, spotlights 'picking out' important features can look *amazing* - that goes for all capships, not just the Sathanas.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Baking into the diffuse is a nono. Imagine how odd it would look if a SEXP to disable the glow map was used, yet area remained illuminated.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Kolgena

Whoever said anything about baking onto the diffuse?

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Upon further review, no one. I thought it was implied... IM TAKING CRAZY PILLS.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Softened up one of the glow maps to be a little smoother with the surrounding hull. The first glow map I made, the one that covers the trenches/shell area, I made using an old method I had. As I textured the Sath I improved this method, but never applied it to the old one. So I did, and I like the result.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
That looks better :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Definitely improved.

oK....THIS is epic in my view and in my view I so wanna get in a Bomber and defang this awesome beast once again!
Great job!
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Kolgena

The sense of scale is remarkable. Next time I play bearbaiting, I think I will actually feel like I'm flying towards a space city.

Some red baked illumination into the glow map would look rad in those trenches, and the inner surfaces of the plates on the claws.