Author Topic: Galactic Civilizations 2  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Galactic Civilizations 2
I just got it last Friday. Maybe it's because I've been playing Sid Meier's games too much, or maybe it's because I started out on "gigantic" with 9 opponents on regular difficulty level, but man do I suck.

I've slowly been getting better as my games progress, but it keeps saying I suck at economy. How? I've been making +100bc with a 5% tax rate, 100% allocation and a handful of trade routes. How can you get much better than that?

Also, it keeps saying I'm losing wars when I'm walking all over the enemy! I mean, I had four Hecate ( :) ) heavy battleships (Beam/missle/mass - 28/28/21 attack 12/8/10 def.), six light battleships (about same, scaled down),  a couple of destroyers (about 21/21/15 12/4/10def), and about 10 cruisers ( about 10/10/10at. and 5/5/5 def) organized into four or five fleets and a few loners just walking around their territory killing stuff, I've taken over 5 or 6 of their planets, too. I even have shipping lanes running through their territory. Their biggest victory against me was an Economic starbase that I never got around to upgrading that was right next to their capitol (I ran out of trade routes). They never killed a single of my units (thank God, they're so expensive!)!  And it always said "your people are fearing for the future of your race" etc.!*

It seems like my approval rating on each planet is either 100 or 40. There is like 2 out of 15  that aren't one of those. Really strange...

Other than that, the game is really neat. There could be a little more variety in government (not party) selections, but it's acceptable. I like all the little random stuff like "oh noes people are starving? what we do?" and i'm like "give them our leftovers!". Those are cool.

Anyone else here play the game? Anyone note suck at it?

*I never use the default military designs.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Galactic Civilizations 2
The one thing that annoys me is that it cannot seem to handle the really big universes no matter what I do. It will eventually freeze up or crash out in the largest two universes no matter the computer I run on. It did it on the old crappy one and it still does it on my new one.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Zuljin

• Cake!
I found this thread rather helpful for strategies :)
http://forums.galciv2.com/?forumid=347&aid=138255

I'm not much of an ace in this game myself, but I'm starting to get the grips on it.
Has anyone here had a chance to play the expansion yet? If so, is it any good and worth the money?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I didn't realize there was an expansion.

Fortunately, my birthday is in two days.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I found this thread rather helpful for strategies :)
http://forums.galciv2.com/?forumid=347&aid=138255

I'm not much of an ace in this game myself, but I'm starting to get the grips on it.
Has anyone here had a chance to play the expansion yet? If so, is it any good and worth the money?

If thats Dark Avatar, I have. I haven't played any of the Campaign stuff at all (in either of them) but it seems nice. Not too much difference in regular play. From what I've played, it's not really worth the money.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can increase your income by building specific buildings that increase the income of a planet or rather the planet where its built. Also you can increase the income you have if you increase the tax rate. Usualy if the citizens are at about 80% happiness then yu can increase the tax rate to about 30 or 40% wihtout any sort of problem. Again that depends on tipe of gouvernment but usualy it is not good to have them below 45-50% happiness cuz planets will defect! Also even if you are winning some battles the game takes into cosideration the expanse of your empire the strenght of your economy and the leel of tech you have and influence when compared to that of your oponent. And determines weather you can win the game or lose. So usualy if the game says you are dooing bad then it means you are dooing bad.

I had a fleet 5 times that of your own and I still got beaten even though till a point  I had won every single battle. Then his fleet arived and crushed me. It is a complicated game but i love it.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!