Author Topic: Mechwarrior 2: A Reminiscence  (Read 8701 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Mechwarrior 2: A Reminiscence
so how did the clans ever manage to get their asses kicked? they saeemed like a bunch of badasses, how did they get defeated by a bunch of freebirths?

Basically, ComStar had a large military and a large fleet in mothballs. And they used Clan traditions (trials) against them in order to hinge the whole invasion on Tukayyid.

And Tukayyid was an epic ****hole for the Clan keshiks.

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
2 was the best, followed by 3. My first game. Fantastic on every level.
I've always liked MW3 - except Pirate's Moon spoiled things a bit.

Never got MW2 working... must try again somewhen.
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline Roanoke

so how did the clans ever manage to get their asses kicked? they saeemed like a bunch of badasses, how did they get defeated by a bunch of freebirths?

Because the Freeborn use Freeborn tactics, and the Clanners used honorouble tactics (Except Clan Wolf, since they knew about Freeborn Tactics thanks to Wolf's Dragoons).
One thing that always confused me in Mechwarrior 2 is the bizarre rift between the Wolf and Jade Falcon cutscenes in terms of quality. The Wolves seem to be more well-written. From the Clan Wolf ending:

Spoiler:
This verse has ended.

Our destiny is sealed to a once unthinkable fate. We have found new allies in an ancient foe--and enemies in our siblings. The honor of the Warden way, like a pyre in the blackness of space, has guided us to our home on Terra!

Kerensky foretold us of this Eden with the promise of deliverance.

We will defend it to our deaths. Let the next verse begin.

Clan Wolf is much cooler then Jade Falcon, so they get much cooler text :P. It is also the only campaign I finished in MW2. Never got around to finish the Jade Falcon one, really.

I can remember prefering the Wlove's final movie (on the PS release) but the final trial was much much harder.

They should be more interesting - wolf has a much more interesting story then jade falcon does.

Really, the entire story from the first clan/IS engagements to clan wolf's exile after the refusal was is essentially the story of clan wolf trying very hard to save the crusader clans from themselves.  They fail, ending up cast out, but they also succeed, keeping the crusaders from annihilating the IS.  They're the only clan who show any level of proper respect to comstar - the others go in with haughty arrogance, and pay the price.  Especially the smoke jags.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

There aren't that many of them. The Clans live and breath lightning war because they do not have the depth of personnel and logistics to fight in another fashion. Lost Destiny had Phelan Kell describe it to the Khans as "It would be the battle of the knife against the grindstone. Yes, we would get sharper, we would win great victories, but in the end we would be ground down to nothing." The Clan effort at Tukkayid was halted on the battlefield by the efforts of the Com Guards, but it foundered on such mundane things as running out of ammunition and being unable to keep 'Mechs repaired.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Note also that the Clans invaded from the interstellar north of the Inner Sphere, principally attacking and annihilating the Free Rasalhague Republic. The FRR, being a relatively new successor state as of the clan invasion, did not have as strong a military as those of the Great Houses, which have withstood war after war, one century after another. If, by some miracle of fate, the Clans had been able to move past Terra into House Marik or House Davion space, they would have been slapped silly by the sheer numbers arrayed against them.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 10:53:24 am by Rick James »

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Also, the Federated Commonwealth (Steiner-Davion) started supporting the also-under-attack Draconis Combine (House Kurita). Which was very suprising, since they were about to start a fifth succession war, and it was also very shocking for the clans, who where suddenly facing a bit more opposition.

Although I am not sure Wolf's Dragoons released the information or not (they did release that they were clanners). they did knew about Clan Tactics (Clan Tactics sucked anyway), and the Clans (Except Wolf) did not know about the IS tactics (involving ambushes, Scorched Earth, and all those other things that are very dishonourable). This portrays another difficulty with the clans: they were bound by Honour, and they were not as 'smart' as the IS tacticians were.

(Also, Alpha 1's mercenary nephew was there :P).

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I really wish i could play some Mechwarrior 3, but I'm running on Vista 64, so i can't :-(

Mech 3 was great, there needs to be a modern mech game that doesnt suck
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

I got MW2 bundled together with my Matrox Mystique back in 1997... it was one of those early titles with hardware acceleration that lacked even basic effects like bilinear filtered textures.
But goddamn, it was fully 3d, ran smooth as hell and you got to stomp around in giant PPC-LRM-death-spouting mechs.... it was glorious.

Yup I had the Mystique too... too bad it never had any real support beyond Mech.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I really wish i could play some Mechwarrior 3, but I'm running on Vista 64, so i can't :-(

Mech 3 was great, there needs to be a modern mech game that doesnt suck

Uh, I've installed MW3 on a Vista 64 computer... hell, I've got MW2 working on this computer, and IT'S 64-bit. ;)

I've loved the Mechwarrior games. Though in MW2 I've just now started actually reading the texts. Good stuff in there.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Turambar

it won't even install for me, something about the installer being 16-bit and unable to be emulated on my system.

copying all the files doesnt work either, it keeps checking for my version of windows and keeps saying it's incompatible, even when run in compatibility mode.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
MW3 crashes out in the start of the second series of campaign missions on this one, in addition to something being seriously wrong with the physics engine on occassion.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
MW3 crashes out in the start of the second series of campaign missions on this one, in addition to something being seriously wrong with the physics engine on occassion.

I can play MW3 on XP mostly without problems.
The only thing that doesn't work on XP are the jumpjets, and sometimes in the second mission where you have to destroy the 2 missile launchers and capture the base, either one of these two launchers disappears, or if you succeed to destroy both in time , the "base captured" event doesn't trigger.

That's why i have a earlier savegame with mission two completed, and i start there if i play the campaign again.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i managed to get mw2 to run on xp64 but i cant use my trackir (thanks to ppjoy not supporting win64). anyway what you have to do is install the game in win32, apply the patch, and put the whole game in an archive (that way you can just extract and play), or just copy it over the network, burn it to a cd, dualbootot whatever to get it on to your win64 machine. then just mount the disc image (or use the cd) and run mw2win or whatever in win95 compatability mode and in d3d. i couldnt seem to get the damn glide wrapper to work, if you can, you get slightly better gfx.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Turambar

too bad we can't just extract all the assets, gameplay, mission terrain maps, models, everything, and plop it all into CryEngine.

That'd be nice.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
There is a Crysis MW Mod.
Don't know how good it is and how close it is to the original ruleset. I think I have seen some variants of Mechs I never seen before. On the other hand I am not that up to date ^_^
http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

There is a Crysis MW Mod.
Don't know how good it is and how close it is to the original ruleset. I think I have seen some variants of Mechs I never seen before. On the other hand I am not that up to date ^_^
http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

It is not only a mech mod, it is also a tank, soldier, and I think aerotech mod too. So yeah, it is more battletech then Mechwarrior was :P.

MW2 was my first intro to the MW series.. I loved it. Haven't played it in a while. I'd toss up between 2 and 3 for which one I like better. Both are better than 4. The one thing 3 had that none of the others did was the ability to move the mech's arms around..that was really cool.

MW4 has a mercs campaign.  I loved all of them.  MW2 was the first Playstation game I ever rented, and I spent hours on it in those 5 days.  I loved it when enemies would use jumpjets, and I'd blow off one of their legs, and they'd be stuck upon landing.  MW 3 and 4 taught me how to guess at an acronym's meaning based on context (LRM, MRM, SRM, PPC, ER Large Laser, etc.)
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

MW2 was my first intro to the MW series.. I loved it. Haven't played it in a while. I'd toss up between 2 and 3 for which one I like better. Both are better than 4. The one thing 3 had that none of the others did was the ability to move the mech's arms around..that was really cool.

What? The coolest feature in MW3 was that you could shoot down Gulls! :P,