Author Topic: 2009-03-15 - An Estimate  (Read 77752 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: 09-03-15 - An Estimate
Is that because if the extent of the detail, though, or just the nature of it?

Don't mistake difficulty level with the amount of work one must put into something. If something has lots of greebels and details on it, then yes it's a lot of work to replicate it. Does it put all your modeling skills to the test while you're doing it, though? Probably not - more like your patience and perseverance. Details and model themselves might not be hard to model but the sheer amount of them will make it a lot of work, for some ships. Basestar is the opposite of that. While it's not a greeble monster (think borg cube or something like that), it's organic shapes make it hard to model correctly, especially a low poly game grade version, because you don't have millions of polygons at your discretion to get the smoothing solution right. And of course once you get past that you can see that there's actually lots of details to it anyway :)
Someone mentioned it was a simple design - it's only deceptively so.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Forgive this potentially idiotic question, but...

Dockpoints? Couldn't they be fighterbay paths?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
Any new news yet?  :o :nod: ;7

Can't wait XD

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Any new news yet?  :o :nod: ;7

Can't wait XD

I don't want to be a pessimist, but when it comes to fan projects, you should assume that they're not going to come out until about six months to two years after their first announced release date.

It's an estimate. Give them room. I have more faith in the Diaspora team than any other team out there, but we can't hold them to a schedule. You can't rush genius.

Offline IronForge

Not if its a 100 strong fan project!!  :p

Anyway they said a may release, so I'm trying to guess which day. I'll be happy once multiplayer is out and everyones on it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Not if its a 100 strong fan project!!  :p

Anyway they said a may release, so I'm trying to guess which day. I'll be happy once multiplayer is out and everyones on it.

No they didn't. They said they were estimating, hopefully, for a May release.

This is what happens. The devs give an estimate. People eventually start thinking of it as a certainty. When it doesn't get met, they get pissy and disappointed. We can't let that transpire, friend!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
May is still possible but there is a hell of a lot of work to be done if we're going to make it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Echelon9

May is still possible but there is a hell of a lot of work to be done if we're going to make it.
I know this will sound a little strange, but the one thing fans can do to have a meaningful impact on whether we can make the release date - and have a polished product - is to test the hell out of the 3.6.10 Release Candidates.

If 3.6.10 Final is released with any blocking bugs, it is going to take a monumental effort to fix them all in time for the Diaspora estimated release in May, on top of the other coding tasks we've got. So get testing people!
Instructions by chief1983 in that thread explain how to get the 3.6.10 RC2, what testing is needed, and how to report any bugs back to the SCP team.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I was about to mention that myself. That and voice acting are currently the two places where fans can help us out the most.

Offline IronForge

Well half the projects out there get delayed. I would sure rather wait another 2 or 3 weeks than end up with a buggy game. However, a multiplayer release before June will sure be great for my vacations!!! :ick:

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
why don't you put in a thread a percent number of your work? in this way, people stop to tell you how many time you need to finish the R1,
and we're updated in every moment !  ;)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
why don't you put in a thread a percent number of your work? in this way, people stop to tell you how many time you need to finish the R1,
and we're updated in every moment !  ;)

Cause how would we generate that percentage? What percentage is finishing a mission? What percentage is finishing a ship? What about voice acting? Beta-Testing? What do we do if we decide we need to add something we've forgotten about?

A percentage is only ever going to be a rough estimate of how much the team feel is left to do. Now what was this thread called again? :p

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
testing 3.6.10 release candidates??....sure thing!  :)
el hombre vicio...

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
no kara...just a percentage of you total work... however i have seen the same thing in bsg fleet commander and i contnue to say that is not a bad idea... :hopping:
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
But as Kara explained, such a percentage can be utterly misleading. First of all, deciding how much of a percentage a mission, or a piece of music, or a cursor contributes to the total is damn near impossible. Then there are the parts where you can't plan accurately how much you need of it, like bugtesting, for example. And the public outcry if the percentage ever gets stuck at some value for some time is something best avoided.
For a project like Diaspora, the "we'll tell you if there's something we'd like to tell you"-approach probably works best for all involved.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
no prob!  ;) i understand whar kara says... it was only a suggest 'cause i know how annoying can be respond all this people the same thing!  :o

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not half as annoying as taking the time to explain how we do something only to have someone ignore the well reasoned explanation, and then tell us we're wrong and should do it a way that pleases them.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
ehi man!if you don'want to consider an opinion is not my problem...however i don't want to say to you what is wrong or not... i repeat it was only a suggest... nothing else! you know i am italian but i'm tryin'to make me understand...you should try to think that for me is more difficul explain a concept and perhaps i use wrong words... however i don' want annoying no one of you anymore... this is my last post about this frackin'thread

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I have no problem with requests or opinions but I took the time out to explain why it simply wouldn't work and you completely ignored that.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
ehi man!if you don'want to consider an opinion is not my problem...however i don't want to say to you what is wrong or not... i repeat it was only a suggest... nothing else! you know i am italian but i'm tryin'to make me understand...you should try to think that for me is more difficul explain a concept and perhaps i use wrong words... however i don' want annoying no one of you anymore... this is my last post about this frackin'thread

Uhm...

Calma, calma e sangue freddo...come ti ho già spiegato ieri le percentuali di completamento non sono per niente accurate e, al contrario, non fanno altro che confondere le idee. Ho una particolare esperienza personale a riguardo: tempo fa ho pensato che uno dei progetti al quale stavo lavorando (e che mi impegna anche ora) fosse completo all'80%. Pensa, da quando ho fatto quell'affermazione ho fatto il triplo di quanto avevo fatto prima...e sto ancora continuando. Il punto è che, così come ha detto Karajorma, non si può mai sapere cosa si può aggiungere e cosa si può cambiare. Anche se il prodotto finito può sembrare il risultato di un lavoro lineare e omogeneo, non è detto che le cose stavano così durante la fase di sviluppo.

Con tutto il rispetto nei confronti del team di BSG: Fleet Commander, ti consiglio di leggere questo. Loro fanno uso delle percentuali di completamento, ma come possono essere precisi nel farlo se parte del loro lavoro passa a terzi? A mio parere non ha senso...il sistema usato dal team di Diaspora, anche se non proprio perfetto, è migliore. E' veramente difficile dire quanto tempo manca per completare un progetto e francamente non saprei che valore dare a ciascun punto percentuale (4-6 ore di lavoro? Una nave? Una missione? Un effetto speciale? Cosa?)...detto questo, penso che le cose vadano bene così come stanno.

:)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]