Author Topic: Let's talk...about Everything.  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Let's talk...about Everything.
I've mentioned this before, but there is an incarnation of FS3 that I would be receptive to.  We've had contact with a few of the original story-makers of the FS universe over the years.  I'd like to see as many of those as possible, teaming up (non-profit) with some of the more talented community members to create a joint FS3 project.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Citation needed.  Because the story has always been that Interplay pushed Volition to release the game in time for them to announce it in their quarterly business report.  But due to Interplay's mismanagement, the marketing campaign wasn't moved up one month to match the game release.  And then when the marketing was scheduled to start, Interplay used the poor sales numbers as justification for not actually spending the marketing dollars.

That's the "incompetence" version.  The "malice" version was that Interplay was already succumbing to mismanagement by that point and someone simply embezzled the money.
I remember it being said in one of the recent ish interview/podcast videos, I forgot which one. Wikipedia also mentions FS2 being completed ahead of schedule.
But hey, I could be misremembering.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Wikipedia also mentions FS2 being completed ahead of schedule.
But hey, I could be misremembering.

Do games ever get completed ahead of schedule anymore?  Sounds like a dream.
[V] for FS3!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Do games ever get completed ahead of schedule anymore?  Sounds like a dream.
I think Freespace 2 may be one of the very few in the entire history of gaming.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

I had heard that the lack of FS2 marketing on Interplay's part was also related to them (Interplay) being worried about losing sales on the latest Descent title, and so they didn't promote what could potentially have been a second flagship title for them.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline MachManX

• The Fight Never Ends...This Is A Fact Of Life!
First of all, HOLY CRAP this place is still alive!  I am beyond impressed how much support such an old game like this still has.  Awesome!

Second, my love for this game is as strong as it's ever been the past few years, during which I played Derelict and BluePlanet.  I hope all of us still here will continue to love this game for our remaining lifetimes.

And now my opinion about the subject in the OP post:  I would love to have a Freespace 3 created as well that carries all the things that made its predecessors great.  See I actually enjoy the fact that Freespace 2 hasn't ended because it leaves the door open to imagination.  This goes well with the FRED system, because we get to create our own futures for the game.  How many games have all of us played that end with so many unanswered questions?  This game not only has a "create your own campaign" system, but also the best excuse in the world...er, universe: It takes place in SPACE!  Wormholes, time travel, black holes, supernovas, etc etc could potentially affect the outcome of the ending. Basically, its one of those games that doesn't need an ending. :pimp: In fact, if they made a new engine for this game from scratch while keeping the originality of the game intact, with a small campaign, I would be happy.  Then the continuation of the game can be handled by us and the many new fans that will join us.  Add the game to Steam with the community workshop and there will be a lot more supporters for this game.  We will make this game the LONGEST supported game EVAAAAAAAAAH!  :cool: ;7 :pimp:

Finally some past memories: When I started playing this game and played it till the end, back in 2000, I only cared about the main campaign.  I had no interest in FRED and its capabilities.  Fast forward 6 years, 2006, I took a look at FRED and realized its potential.  Easy to learn, fun to use, and made a few missions and a cheesy campaign.  I came across this site and I was already amazed by the support behind it, but little did I know until I started exploring the site more how much work you guys were putting into making the game better.  It blew my mind that some of you would go this far for this game.  But you know what?  If I had known programming back then, I would have done the same  :lol: ;7 :D

Went through some of my older posts and realized that sometimes I made some good posts while others I was just full of it  :lol:

MatthTheGeek, remember this? :
Quote from: MachManX on May 11, 2010, 02:11:33 am
MachManX: Maybe it's some hyper-advanced version of FreeCell <--Yes, I thought this
MatthTheGeek: I loled so hard.

Wow, now that I am older and do some programming, I understand the difficulty involved in debugging and fixing code.  It's not nearly as easy as someone might think it is, especially when fixing code that someone else wrote!  Add to this, the fact that the code was written with the standards back in 99 or pre-99 AND its a Game with game code, it gets even more difficult to fix something small.  Just to give you non-programmers an idea, one time I had to fix an issue at work that caused a checkbox to remain unchecked.  It took me a week to find out that it was setting the wrong type of registry value (using dword instead of string).  But to find that issue I had to go through 10 pages of code with multiple functions before finding the underlying problem.  The code wasn't wrong from a machine standpoint, it was wrong due to human logic. 

I wonder what IDE you use to fix FS2 problems?  Jeez you guys are amazing.

Shout out to all of you who are still around supporting this game!  :yes: :yes:  I will pop in from time to time to see what's going on. 

PS: I was a keyboard guy as well  ;)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p
Ubuntu 20.04 + Whatever I VM