Author Topic: Sports and .50 cal  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
But then I remembered Crystal talking about how Cyrvans would dominate us at sports. Interesting. I wonder what Cyrvan stamina is like.
It depends on sport in question. Spoon mentioned that they'd have an adventage in light athletics, but in most martial arts or boxing almost a human would quickly win (the exception being those martial arts where strength matters little, in which case it'd only depend on the level of training). And of course, in pro wrestling, it'd depend on how the current storyline is supposed to play out (and I guess there'd be at least one wrestler/diva with "proud high elf" as his/her gimmick).
Regarding shooting, they'd most likely be better on small calibers, pneumatic and energy weapon competitions, but they'd be about equal with humans on larger caliber disciplines and skeet, due to higher recoil (I have fired a 12-gauge with a hefty powder load and an AK-47, among other weapons, so I know). On calibers like .50 BMG and mile-long ranges, they could even have a slight disadventage compared to a human shooter. I don't know about pistol shooting (having only fired a few of them, the largest one in 9mm), but I guess the pattern would be similar, and even more pronounced due to the fact recoil control is more difficult and requires more strength on handguns.

Offline Lorric

Re: Re: Ask a crew member
It depends on sport in question. Spoon mentioned that they'd have an adventage in light athletics, but in most martial arts or boxing almost a human would quickly win (the exception being those martial arts where strength matters little, in which case it'd only depend on the level of training). And of course, in pro wrestling, it'd depend on how the current storyline is supposed to play out (and I guess there'd be at least one wrestler/diva with "proud high elf" as his/her gimmick).
Regarding shooting, they'd most likely be better on small calibers, pneumatic and energy weapon competitions, but they'd be about equal with humans on larger caliber disciplines and skeet, due to higher recoil (I have fired a 12-gauge with a hefty powder load and an AK-47, among other weapons, so I know). On calibers like .50 BMG and mile-long ranges, they could even have a slight disadventage compared to a human shooter. I don't know about pistol shooting (having only fired a few of them, the largest one in 9mm), but I guess the pattern would be similar, and even more pronounced due to the fact recoil control is more difficult and requires more strength on handguns.

I was thinking about the contradiction, the idea that you can be a weakling and yet be highly athletic. How could that be? One way could be perhaps Cyrvans not having strong bones. They can have all the muscle they want, but their bones wouldn't be able to take much strain. It would also lighten their bodies, and maybe be the key to enabling the winged ones to fly, though I can't remember if they actually can fly or not, or even if it was mentioned.

Cyrvans playing football would be interesting. I imagine they'd run rings around humans, and put together complex tactics involving quick short passes of the ball and speeding past people. But they'd have trouble in the air being short and light, and have trouble shooting on goal being weak. The Cyrvan goalkeeper though would be extremely hard to score against. It might be in a very vague way be like playing Barcelona. But a faster, more athletic, but smaller and weaker Barcelona.

Cyrvans in the WWE? Hello, AJ Lee. She's as close a representation as you're going to get. She likes to cosplay video game characters too. So now we just need to get her some Cyrvan ears...

Cyrvans might not even be able to fire some larger weapons without injuring themselves. I once saw a video on youtube where some girl, maybe 11 or 12 years old fired a gun, can't remember what kind, but if you pause it, it the recoil pushes her shoulder into a sick position. And her Dad just laughs at her while she writhes around in pain too.

Offline Lorric

I was thinking about the contradiction, the idea that you can be a weakling and yet be highly athletic. How could that be? One way could be perhaps Cyrvans not having strong bones. They can have all the muscle they want, but their bones wouldn't be able to take much strain. It would also lighten their bodies, and maybe be the key to enabling the winged ones to fly, though I can't remember if they actually can fly or not, or even if it was mentioned. It would also explain their fragility and vulnerability to pain.

Cyrvans playing football would be interesting. I imagine they'd run rings around humans, and put together complex tactics involving quick short passes of the ball and speeding past people. But they'd have trouble in the air being short and light, and have trouble shooting on goal being weak. The Cyrvan goalkeeper though would be extremely hard to score against. It might be in a very vague way be like playing Barcelona. But a faster, more athletic, but smaller and weaker Barcelona.

Cyrvans in the WWE? Hello, AJ Lee. She's as close a representation as you're going to get. She likes to cosplay video game characters too. So now we just need to get her some Cyrvan ears...

Cyrvans might not even be able to fire some larger weapons without injuring themselves. I once saw a video on youtube where some girl, maybe 11 or 12 years old fired a gun, can't remember what kind, but if you pause it, you can see the recoil pushes her shoulder into a sick position. And her Dad just laughs at her while she writhes around in pain too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:18:23 pm by Lorric »

Cyrvans are physically weaker than humans, and cannot throw a punch to save their lives.  Just ask Justice about the time Crystal punched him in the jaw and had her hand practically bounce off.  On the other hand, they probably weigh a lot less and are significantly more agile and flexible, so a Cyrvan could never play American football but on the other hand your average Cyrvan is probably at least a competent gymnast, and they certainly run faster and jump higher than humans because they do weigh less.  I think the key to Cyrvan athleticism is their lower weight, allowing them to be faster and jump higher yet be physically weaker.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Lorric

Cyrvans are physically weaker than humans, and cannot throw a punch to save their lives.  Just ask Justice about the time Crystal punched him in the jaw and had her hand practically bounce off.  On the other hand, they probably weigh a lot less and are significantly more agile and flexible, so a Cyrvan could never play American football but on the other hand your average Cyrvan is probably at least a competent gymnast, and they certainly run faster and jump higher than humans because they do weigh less.  I think the key to Cyrvan athleticism is their lower weight, allowing them to be faster and jump higher yet be physically weaker.

I don't know if there was any confusion or not, but I meant soccer football. But maybe you weren't referring to that, I was very clear after all. I remember the Justice incident well. I'm going with my fragile bones theory for the Cyrvans. It accomodates all of that. It would account for Crystal nearly breaking her hand on Justice's jaw, weaker bone structure.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Cyrvans might not even be able to fire some larger weapons without injuring themselves. I once saw a video on youtube where some girl, maybe 11 or 12 years old fired a gun, can't remember what kind, but if you pause it, it the recoil pushes her shoulder into a sick position. And her Dad just laughs at her while she writhes around in pain too.
On the other hand, I remember seeing a 14-15 girl fire an M107, while standing (also on YouTube) and be fine afterwards. However, it should be pointed out that M107 (or Barrett M82A3) is known for having a surprisingly mild recoil, despite being a .50 BMG sniper rifle. A Hecate II or Rangemaster .50 would knock her flat on her back. Also, it wasn't shown if she hit whatever she was aiming at (though it's unlikely, unless the target was close and she was really good shooter).
So, a Cyrvan might be able to use a .50 cal, if it's something at least as good as the M107 in terms of recoil compensation (meaning all bolt-action .50 rifles are right out, though).

Offline Lorric

On the other hand, I remember seeing a 14-15 girl fire an M107, while standing (also on YouTube) and be fine afterwards. However, it should be pointed out that M107 (or Barrett M82A3) is known for having a surprisingly mild recoil, despite being a .50 BMG sniper rifle. A Hecate II or Rangemaster .50 would knock her flat on her back. Also, it wasn't shown if she hit whatever she was aiming at (though it's unlikely, unless the target was close and she was really good shooter).
So, a Cyrvan might be able to use a .50 cal, if it's something at least as good as the M107 in terms of recoil compensation (meaning all bolt-action .50 rifles are right out, though).

It's probably all irrelavant in Spoon's World, of course. Probably nice little light guns that even a child could use that spit hot laser death.

The girl, racking my brains, I think it was some sort of rifle she used. Not a shotgun or anything like that. Oh, and she was standing also. She might have been a bit older than 11-12 too. I'm not really sure, it was a long time ago.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:16:30 pm by Lorric »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's probably all irrelavant in Spoon's World, of course. Probably nice little light guns that even a child could use that spit hot laser death.

The girl, racking my brains, I think it was some sort of rifle she used. Not a shotgun or anything like that. Oh, and she was standing also. She might have been a bit older than 11-12 too. I'm not really sure, it was a long time ago.
It's possible it was th same vid. Though I'm pretty sure she was unharmed afterwards.
Also, we're talking sports here. Anyone could shoot an energy-based sniper cannon, and they're undoubtedly quite effective. That's not the point, they're good for military, but would have their own discipline.

Offline Lorric

It's possible it was th same vid. Though I'm pretty sure she was unharmed afterwards.
Also, we're talking sports here. Anyone could shoot an energy-based sniper cannon, and they're undoubtedly quite effective. That's not the point, they're good for military, but would have their own discipline.

That depends if she was in pain after shooting it or not.

A point to make is Cyrvans probably aren't trained to use weapons like Terran ones. Light, easy to use weaponry (and all things for that matter) would be what Cyrvans need, and would be trained in. And of course such primitive weapons would certainly not be something Cyrvans would be used to anyway.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.

That depends if she was in pain after shooting it or not.

A point to make is Cyrvans probably aren't trained to use weapons like Terran ones. Light, easy to use weaponry (and all things for that matter) would be what Cyrvans need, and would be trained in. And of course such primitive weapons would certainly not be something Cyrvans would be used to anyway.
She didn't seem to be in pain after shooting, at least not any more than usually. This being M107, I doubt one shot would really hurt anyway. According to opinions I've heard, it's kick isn't really much stronger than that of an old 7.62 NATO rifle. If you take on a big gun, you should expect a kick. That 12-gauge I fired did leave me with an aching arm, but it was after 30 shots (mind you, this was also preceded by emptying an AK-47 mag, which amounts to 25 7.62R rounds), and this was neither severe nor problematic, except if I wanted to shoot something more accurate afterwards. Really, I can't wait till this newly opened 1500m shooting range (making it the longest civilian shooting range in Poland) defrosts, I'll go there as soon as possible and hopefully, get to experience firing an M82 (it's unlikely that they'd have an M107 variant in Poland) or a similar rifle first-hand.

And as I mentioned, Cyrvan soldiers most likely won't be trained to use Terran-style weapons, but we're talking about sportsmen/women. Specifically, what would happen if they tried to compete with Terrans in certain disciplines. I'm certain that they'd be able to fire .50 cal weapons. Whether they'd be able to hit anything with them is another matter. And before you ask, yes, there are .50 BMG shooting competitions.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
And before you ask, yes, there are .50 BMG shooting competitions.

wtf do they use as bullet catcher? mountains?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Thats a good question headdie. Do they have mountains with giant bullseyes on em?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
And before you ask, yes, there are .50 BMG shooting competitions.

wtf do they use as bullet catcher? mountains?
Actually, sort of. A shooting range for .50 BMG is really friggin' long (about 2300m total) and has a large mound of earth after the targets, or is build facing up the hillside. See "Future Weapons", the episode with M107 shows a range at Barrett factory.
At least, that's what I seen on the internet/TV or read. I haven't been at this new, 1500m shooting range yet.