Author Topic: Music Composer / Sound Designer  (Read 2133 times)

Offline kgilx

Music Composer / Sound Designer
Hey all,

I have no idea if this is the right place to post this, or if it will be seen here by anyone who can help me, but here goes...

I'm a veteran music composer and sound designer for film & TV who's looking to transition into games.  A couple of colleagues in the industry suggested a good place to start would be to work with a couple of modding teams to build a demo reel of actual game content.  I'm hoping to find some suitable partners, and would welcome any advice or suggestions!

My website's a little out of date, but my composer's reel can be seen at http://www.kentongilchrist.com.

I've also done most of the music and audio work on the film and TV projects at http://www.asymetriq.com.

Thoughts, ideas, feedback, etc. all welcome.  The kids are growing up, the wife is back to work, and I'm eager to give the gaming world a go!

Thanks!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Music Composer / Sound Designer
You can also try over on the Discord Server (or wait for someone to post back here, but it doesn't hurt to have both, eh?)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Game music has different styling. As far as I know, game music has different song structure. Loops, transitions of one track into another... Game music must adjust swiftly to whatever is going on your screen, but if you say you are veteran, I think it's nothing you cannot handle.

The biggest problem is money. Or to be precise - lack of it :P. Modding groups are mostly hobbysts working on non-profit basis. Indie games market is a little bit different, as people investing their own money or go crowdfunding. Still, they are minority. Many indie projects came out because people with no money spent lot of time working on non-profit basis, and real cash came after release.

Still, this place raised some prominent examples of former modders now working in professional gaming industry. The best example I know is Gareth Cooker aka GenericCorvette. He was working on Earth Defence, than he was hired to work on InMomentum game and now he composed music to Ark survival sandbox game. The last is very popular today, and also big commercial success.

What exactly are you looking for? I'm sure you can easily find people here involved in various gaming and modding projects, but this is proper place rather for looking for hobbyst projects.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline kgilx

Thanks for the quick replies.

Ultimately I'm looking for visual content for a music/sound-for-games demo reel.  Definitely not expecting to be paid for working on the mod, but ideally the demo content I help create will launch some paid work.

My gut says the best path would be to find a team working on (or PLANNING to work on) a total conversion mod, who are in need of some audio.

Any suggestions, referrals, etc. would be amazing!  Feel free to pass along my email, too - kenton <at> asymetriq <period> com.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:52:46 am by karajorma »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Thanks for the quick replies.

Ultimately I'm looking for visual content for a music/sound-for-games demo reel.  Definitely not expecting to be paid for working on the mod, but ideally the demo content I help create will launch some paid work.

My gut says the best path would be to find a team working on (or PLANNING to work on) a total conversion mod, who are in need of some audio.

Any suggestions, referrals, etc. would be amazing!  Feel free to pass along my email, too - <e-mail address removed>

Generally a good idea to not put your e-mail in plain text (you'll get spammed by bots that crawl the web looking for exactly that).  I usually do something like user <dot> name <at> site <dot> com or somesuch.  (I put my e-mail in plain text on a forum ONCE.  It took months for the spam e-mails to finally slow down.)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
They probably tell bots to look for <dot> com now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
They probably tell bots to look for <dot> com now.

Probably.   Could always do this: e-mail is in reverse order:   moc.liamg@b00ntahtnowehcahahahah

Offline kgilx

Hey, thanks for the feedback on this.  Catching up after the holidays and thought I'd just refresh the post one more time to see if anyone has any other suggestions, or better yet wants to connect.

Either way, I'll keep pushing forward on this...

Happy New Year!