Author Topic: bsg-like eve fan trailer  (Read 6676 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: bsg-like eve fan trailer
Wow. Read this **** right now.

Here is the second part.

It only gets really good at the end.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Hmm, this is sounding more and more appealing...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hmm, this is sounding more and more appealing...

haaaaaaaa

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
Actually, all EVE online takes 3 minutes to explain.
It's roughly the duration of the Causality trailer.
It's fun to watch, just wtf, and seriously makes you understand that whole EVE deal imo....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGplrpWvz0I

EDIT: BTW, there's another quite serious game around.. even though it's not even 1/5 of EVE.
It's called eRepublik (referrer link spotted  :nervous:).
It's some kind of world simulator, with countries, wars, economy, etc.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:55:42 pm by Firartix »

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
You probably wouldn't like EVE. I don't either. That doesn't diminish the fact that it's maybe the most important game in the world right now. I can't think of another that has come closer to the ideal notion of a parallel world you can live in and influence through your own hard work.

You're right. I wouldn't like this game.

you can live in and influence through your own hard work.

That's the reason.
That simply doesn't sound appealing to me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Doesn't stop you from enjoying what happens in it. Read the links above.

It's less hard work than most MMOs because you don't have to grind.

Offline mxlm

Consider the scale, though - neither Nexus nor FSO will ever be able to support that many ships in one fight. Fleet fights routinely hit 500+ pilots.

Which is a reasonable point, but I'm just evaluating the trailers.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
You probably wouldn't like EVE. I don't either. That doesn't diminish the fact that it's maybe the most important game in the world right now. I can't think of another that has come closer to the ideal notion of a parallel world you can live in and influence through your own hard work.

And here I'm gonna disagree with you, Batt, I cut my MMO teeth on this game and after 9 months and several corps, I found out a guy I respected and trusted was the leader of a pirate corp on his main account and had deliberately baited me out for a couple of his buddies.  To put it quite simply, you can't trust a single person in that game that you don't know in real life.  The environment that CCP has fostered in that game is so toxic that I can't describe it.  The players there are among the most base and unlikeable I've come across in an online game.  I dearly love the universe and how it's presented, it's a dark place, full of cool, interesting plots.  But the player base barely qualifies as human.  Setting foot outside the certain systems is akin to walking into Auchwitz, asking directions to the gas chamber and for a schedule of when would be the best time to go in and sit down.  I don't hate the game, I hate the people playing it.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

And here I'm gonna disagree with you, Batt, I cut my MMO teeth on this game and after 9 months and several corps, I found out a guy I respected and trusted was the leader of a pirate corp on his main account and had deliberately baited me out for a couple of his buddies.  To put it quite simply, you can't trust a single person in that game that you don't know in real life.  The environment that CCP has fostered in that game is so toxic that I can't describe it.  The players there are among the most base and unlikeable I've come across in an online game.  I dearly love the universe and how it's presented, it's a dark place, full of cool, interesting plots.  But the player base barely qualifies as human.  Setting foot outside the certain systems is akin to walking into Auchwitz, asking directions to the gas chamber and for a schedule of when would be the best time to go in and sit down.  I don't hate the game, I hate the people playing it.

This is exactly why EVE is the greatest game on Earth.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm kind of with Battuta.  You couldn't pay me enough to actually play the game, but from a social-experiment standpoint, it's freaking amazing.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I tried to like this game, but every attempt was met with crushing boredom. I can't fight the people who have been playing it for years, and I'm not willing to play it for years just to be able to stomp on new players. The soundtrack was ultimately the best part of the game in my opinion.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You're wrong about, that, actually - if you fly a tackle fit frigate you can be a key part of major PVP against years-old players, and you can achieve that in a week or two.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, that's all well and good, but as I said previously, you can't trust anyone you see, so corped or not, how can you trust someone to not blow you outta space after they've had they're fun.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
don't get canflipped in highsec

fly with mates

join eve university

use common sense

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
don't get canflipped in highsec
Didn't exist when I played reguarly, my main too has been in The Scope for 5 years
fly with mates
Very hard to meet people when the game has you so paranoid you find a quiet system at the end of a dogleg and mine most of the time.
join eve university
Again, didn't exist when I was playing, and would've required me to go down into low sec with assets I couldn't afford to lose.  To this day the most ISK on hand I've ever had is about 180 million.  I never said I was good at EVE. ;)
use common sense
The common sense you speak of is bred from city life.  I live in north Alabama, the nearest place you would call a city is a 90 min drive away.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
how did canflipping not exist  :wtf:

why the **** do you assume i live in a city? i'm from a town of 300, there isn't a real city in the entire state

or is this one of those things where the honest, hard-working, kind folk all come from the country so i can't be one of those

anyway i'm not denying eve is brutal, but people do make corps built on trust, and sometimes they work, and sometimes they fall apart or are betrayed, so it's not like it's just a bunch of lone wolves. you just have to find the right people and use the same skills you do in real life.

my brother is playing right now, he's a 0.0 pvp pirate and blows carebears up left and right, but he works with a band of fellow pirates who all trust each other intrinsically. they let him run the corp wallet and he pays each of them fairly and punctually.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 02:32:23 pm by General Battuta »

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Wow. Read this **** right now.

Here is the second part.

It only gets really good at the end.

That really put the sphere of influence maps on youtube in context.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
how did canflipping not exist  :wtf:

Lib was with us back in Cold War/Red Moon Rising. Canflipping didn't exist as a mechanic; can theft did, without recourse.

I have to disagree that 0.0 is the game, because at this moment, 0.0 is incredibly boring unless you're Pandemic Legion. There is no major moving-and-shaking going on (and let's be honest here, the sov game is deathly boring even when it is) and the rivalries that drove the First and Second Great War have gone stale. The great engine that drove 0.0 combat, which was the hatred of the rest of the universe for BoB, died with that alliance's failed defense of Delve. Yes, they've taken Delve back, but the days of the great clashes, driven by rage and hatred, are over.

Most people call for more civility in gaming, but right now EVE needs less civility. Much less. Searing injustice to put pilots in ships and ships on the front lines, out there killing and dying for the greater glory of their alliance and the destruction of its foes. Drama drives the game, and right now there's just none to be had out in 0.0.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
what we need is sigs of dead players being crushed under trucks

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Most people call for more civility in gaming, but right now EVE needs less civility. Much less. Searing injustice to put pilots in ships and ships on the front lines, out there killing and dying for the greater glory of their alliance and the destruction of its foes. Drama drives the game, and right now there's just none to be had out in 0.0.

Conan! What is best in life?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”