Author Topic: [FA] C2M9 Cobra  (Read 22829 times)

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
try it. you'll like it :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
anyone played my mission yet?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's on the list :D 2nd place actually. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
You and your list :D How many points/entries are in your list? :)
No surrender, no retreat.

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
who got 1st place?

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
It should be MG :p I can't accept any other for that place :D
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Actually it was your mission and the fixes to the Iceni. I'm gonna play this one now and then I've got some MG FREDding to look forwards to.

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
which mission? :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Primus's was first. Then yours. Now that I've gotten them both done they move down and MG is number one :D

Anyway to get back on topic. I tried the mission but you seem to have made a few changes since the last one that I'm not too keen on.

1) Have you moved the Julius? Cause there seems to be no danger to it. I  took my wingmen and flew away from the julius and left it to fight the shivans on its own and it still got to the node. I think you need to move it further away as it was ready to leave about a minute after the cain arrived (which I never saw do much damage to the Julius.  

Admittedly this might not be too much of a problem because the player does have to protect it through the following red-alert mission.

2) The two lambda transports appear to get stuck close to each other and never jump out. This is because they will only leap out when the waypoints are done for the wing. Unfortunately Lambda 2 can't get to it's way point without going through lambda 1. Change the event so that each ship has it's own departure option (I personally never reccomend putting transports into wings. There's a whole load of other weird things that can happen if you try)

3) The get Julius to the node directive has been chained to destroy cancer. That's a very odd thing to do. It should appear at the start of the mission. Otherwise if you take a long time to kill cancer wing you face the possibility of the directive only appearing after the Julius has left.

4) You appear to have gotten the invalidate objective thing incorrect. The Destroy Malice objective appears on the briefing screen and then becomes invalid before the end of the mission. It should of course be the other way round. You invalidate a goal from the mission objectives editor NOT the event editor if you want to not appear on the list of mission objectives in the briefing.

5) I noticed that you can't jump out until the mission is done. Good job there. However the implementation needs some work because there is nothing actually chaining the player to the node. He can jump out anywhere. Check my FAQ to see how to implement a series of event that mean the player can only jump out at the node rather than anywhere he feels like.

6) Add a delay to the key pressed SEXP in the Red Alert To Next Mission event. Adding a delay of 4 means that the player will hear his engines warm up and maybe even see the start of the jump out before the red alert kicks in.

7) The Malice will only fire its beams if Alpha4 is still alive. Why did you set things up this way? It's also the reason why the Destoy Malice objective never becomes valid again. Hmmmm. This is probably why the Julius never seemed to be in danger.

8) The above problem is due to the fact that you're over using chains somewhat. The Alpha 1 can't jump event's trigger is true so why is it chained to the Shivans event which is also true. The chain is completely unnecessary. Both events will occur at the start of the mission regardless of the chain so you might as well ditch it.

Okay. That's enough to be going on with. If I spot anything else I'll let you know :)

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
1) Fixed

2) I've tried fixing that before, but i can't seem to fix that...

3) Fixed

4) Fixed

5) I tested that myself. The red-alert didn't happen and i couldn't jump out until the event was true. hmm. i'll check the faq.

6) Fixed

7) what the hell? only fires beams if a4 is still alive? man, i gotta check this out... of course, i was wondering why the malice beams weren't firing... i'm still kinda confused that how "un"-chaining the events would help.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
2) I'd break the wing up and give seperate orders the the transports. Failing that you could simply use an ai-warpout SEXP to make them jump out.

Just make events that come true when the waypoints are done for a certain transport and add-goal>>ai-warpout to that.

5) You're corroct that you can't jump out until the mission is complete. As I said you've done that bit correctly. However once the mission is complete Alpha can jump out from anywhere on the map. There's nothing that forces him to go to the node in order to jump out successfully.
 Basically you've made sure that alpha can only jump out at the correct time but you haven't made sure that he can only jump out at the right place.

7) You've chained the Free Malice Beams event to the Cain Arrives event. However Cain Arrives only triggers if Alpha4 is alive. If he's dead then all the rest of the chain is ignored.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 09:37:51 am by 340 »

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
2) ah, ok.

5) Gimme some help with that. I looked in your faq, but there was nothing.

7) ok, i'm looking into that.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Check out the How do I make a ship jump out at a certain place (e.g. a jump node)? section in the FRED part of the FAQ. It's even got pictures :D

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
meh, i just thought the player would have enough sense to jump out at the node :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Always bet on idiocy. You lose less money that way :D

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:lol:

i've added two more events for the jump node purpose. i'm trying to figure out how to make the Malice's beams work, and trying to remember how to use the ai-goals... looking at the faq now.

[EDIT] D'OH! damn, i'm stupid. nm about the ai goals thing.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 02:10:32 pm by 2299 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'd simply use.

when
-has arrived
--SC Malice
-Beam-Free-all

No sense in chaining anything for this.

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
D'OH! Again.

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
WHOAH! you guys have GOT to try my mission with FS1 music. you can download the table i made here and the wav files here

feedback in this thread

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
hmm. i'm having trouble with the 'tie alpha 1 to jump node' events. When i am 500 meters from the center of the node, i press alt-j, but i get a 'cannot jump out at this time', and 4 seconds later the red alert sequence starts. also have an event that prevents alpha 1 from jumping out when you press alt-j and it doesn't red alert.

hey, karajorma, how do you take pics like you did in earlier pages?