Author Topic: [FA]-Retail Mission 4  (Read 11803 times)

Offline Fergus

You need to right click and Save as.  Typical, you would have thought they would have learned by now.
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Tried that. It gave me a HTML document with the filename you'd expect :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fergus

Right, the link works now...well last time I checked

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Odd. The link worked in IE but not in Firefox. Oh well. Got it now.

Offline Fergus

Kneads hands nervously expecting the evil nit pick

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Bloody hell. How many bombers! :eek:

Since I'm playing Willy_Principal's mission again I'll replay this one too before I post any other comments.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hmmm. Now that I know that they're coming I can actually deal with the bombers.  Time for the nitpicking :D

1) The Perilous if ignored currently reaches the end of its waypoint run and stops dead waiting for Alpha one to approach. Make it so that the event that controls its jump out is not just dependant on its distance from alpha 1. You definately should check for that but also check either that a certain time has elapsed or that the waypoint has been reached.

2) It's currently impossible to win the mission because of the way you've got the events done. In the event "Bedford Gone Win" you've checked hits-left in order to check if the Adur is still alive. You've chosen the wrong operator and the event will only come true if the Adur has less than 0% at the end of the mission.
 You shouldn't be using hits-left for this sort of thing anyway. A far better choice is to use

not
-is-destroyed-delay
--Adur

3) The Bedford gone lose event does not have a Return to Base event chained to it.

4) The Defend Adur station objective relies on the Bedford gone win being true but also checks if the Adur has been destroyed (incidentally using the not-is-destroyed  SEXP I mentioned above ). This check while harmless at the moment it is also redundant since the Beford Gone Win event is also supposed to check for this.  Redundancy like this is generally bad because if you later change the SEXPs that cause the Bedford Gone Win to come true you might up having the check in the objective breaking the mission.

Apart from that it's definately getting better :D It was hard the first time round but was quite playable when I knew a little better what to expect :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Played again as part of my playing all the missions thing I'm doing today.

To point 1 I'll add that because of the way you've handled it, the perilous can be disabled with Stiletttos at long range. Once you've done that it can't jump out and then you can kill it at leisure.

In addition you need a Debriefing for if the player decides to go AWOL and jump out before he's told to do so.

Apart from that this is a pretty enjoyable mission.

Offline Fergus

I have a minor problem, after a little clear out.  Replacing the old PC and genearl (mis)management, I have lost my FA mission and for some reason tripod won't let me download.  So I don't suppose any of you have it somewhere?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep. I do :D

Offline Fergus

Bless you sir.

Offline Fergus

I have a problem, everything else has been sorted (I'm keeping to the size of the NTR attack) but I can't get an AWOL debrief working, I have tried using if-goal-incomplete sexp but they don't seem to have any effect, I just get the if-goal-false debrief.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I always handle AWOL debriefings in this way. I have an event called mission complete. This is a big OR'd list of all the events that end the mission (i.e the event comes true if any of them come true).

In the Debriefing I make the AWOL debriefing play if mission complete is false. The real bonus of doing things this way is that if I have secondary or bonus goals which don't depend on mission completion I can prevent them from playing during the AWOL debrief by simply making event-true>>Mission complete a requirement.

Offline Fergus

Okay, here it is.  Tested several times, AWOL debrief and other glaring errors fixed...I hope.  It could probably do with more testing but after 7 times I cannea take it.  So here it is.

ta da

There was a 'bleep' used in an earlier version, but I can't download the old version and therefore find the 'bleep'.  So you have to do without.
As soon as this mission is done I'm switching over to Open and testing out TBP.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I prefer the missions without the radio bleep actually. It allows the voice synth to read to me. :)

Downloading

Offline Fergus

I've never used em, so wouldn't really know, but good point about that.  Also do you think I should spread the big attack wave into 2 smaller groups or add more smaller attacks or having a transport pulling out the wounded or doing something else completely stupendous?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 01:35:01 pm by 2175 »

Offline Fergus

I don't mean to be rude, but is this mission at release status?  It would be helpful to know, so I can complete this one before I get back to the other missions.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'll test this one tonight or tomorrow. :)

Offline Fergus

Sorry for being a nuisance.

Nice work, I can only find a few major faults with this mission, and those can be easily remedied.
Spelling, mercinary, cripling, ect, double check all of your spelling and sentence structure.  Try to say it out loud if that will help.  If it doesn't sound right, chances are it won't flow in the mission.

For some reason Iota 1's arrival message comes from command and not Iota 1.  I can't really find a reason for this, so it may not be your fault.

In regards to the messages, they scroll by much too quickly and are sent before the previous one has been read.  Space the time out for the messages so that you don't have nasty overlap.  I find that setting the time for 5000 (5 seconds) is usually enough.

The Aeschylus's survival seems to be a random thing.  On my first try through this mission, I lost it when the Bedford arrived.  With the second attempt, the Bedford fired on the installation and not the Aeschylus.  The player really has little say in the matter, the Bedford may or may not destroy it, and that is a little problematic.  Try to make its attack a little more defined.  I'm not saying the science cruiser has to die, but actually giving the Bedford the initial order to attack one or the other helps keep the mission focused, and ensures that saving the ship isn't just a matter of luck.

More background would be nice, a good part of the area is just black space, especially behind the Adur as Alpha flies in.  You don't have to go overboard, just make sure that the player will usually see an object or a nebula in the background when attacking the enemy.

Other than, the mission seems fine. Its a little hard to lose, but if you just sit there your wingmen can't protecect everything.  Nice job I have to say.
GTI Rebellion FREDer

Dissident Theory

Permissum sacramentum non exsisto infractus , per fides exsisto led.