Author Topic: What could beat the Lucifer's Shield?  (Read 14566 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
What could beat the Lucifer's Shield?
Originally posted by FireCrack
During the T-V war the front was always far from sol and n earer to vasuda. Mabye there were once static defences but they were scavanged to build more warships to assault the then distyant enemy, the vasudans.

Alright, then where's the industrialisation?

Albiet if an attack in ross 128 could be interpreted as of a Vasudan cutscene as in the intro, surely that implies the war was close enough for Sol to require protection?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by aldo_14
Alright, then where's the industrialisation?

Space is big. Why would there have to be anything near where the node is? Anything arriving at the node can jump out to it's final destination a few minutes later.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma

Space is big. Why would there have to be anything near where the node is? Anything arriving at the node can jump out to it's final destination a few minutes later.

I didn't mean around the node, I mean in the general space around Earth and the Moon.  I'd have expected some sign of life if it was super industrialized like the ref bible says.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Ah. You probably wouldn't able to see anything more than maybe some lights on the moon at that distance though. If you look at Endgame the moon is fully lit so you wouldn't be able to see even that.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma
Ah. You probably wouldn't able to see anything more than maybe some lights on the moon at that distance though. If you look at Endgame the moon is fully lit so you wouldn't be able to see even that.

I think you should be able to see something; especially at a jumpnode from a heavy population, heavy traffic system.

'sides which, it'd look better I think.  End of FS1 your ship is completely alone..... that feels a bit wrong to me.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Two reasons...

1) Whoever rendered the cutscene didn't think of it

2) As big as ships in Freespace are, they wouldn't be visible at that scale.  Even if there was an armada in orbit around Earth, the ships would be too small to be discernible from that distance.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I do agree about that. I would have expected the GTVA to have destoyers positioned at the Sol end ready to attack the Lucifer just in case it took a few seconds to get the shield up and running though. When it was emerging would be the best chance the GTA forces would have had to take it out.  

I wouldn't have expected heavy traffic though. Everyone else would have run away from the node long ago.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 11:56:49 am by 340 »

Offline Fergus

I dunno, I would have expected alot of traffic out of the Sol system, refugees would be flowing out of the system, meh maybe not.
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Fergus
I dunno, I would have expected alot of traffic out of the Sol system, refugees would be flowing out of the system, meh maybe not.

Aye..............
-C

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
To be fair, at that point there were 3 nodes in Sol (as far as the cutscene animators knew), and you'd expect refugees to use the other 2.

Offline Kie99

I've just realised why they wouldn't have any ships in front of the node, they would be getting ready to follow the Lucifer out of the system and launch an almighty attack on it.

When I was playing FS1 I could never see the logic in sending the Bastion after the Lucifer, after all it has 16 turrets and the Lucifer has about 30 and 2 "beams".  I has so much trouble with the Clash of the Titansand I kept thinking who cares if the Bastion gets destroyed, don't just give up on Earth, let us follow it and destroy.  When I eventually got through COTT and THe Great Hunt and I realised the Bastion wasn't coming with us anyway I wanted to chuck my computer out the window.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Actually, I would expect some kind of minefield in front of the node, lots of Harbinger bombs probably. The Lucifer probably can't raise its shield when it's half-in and half-out of subspace, so that would be the last chance to hit it.

I think the Bastion was supposed to provide cover fire for the bomber group more then anything else. The GTA had staked pretty much everything on the deployment of the Ursa/Harbinger combination to defeat the Lucifer. The Bastion was probably just there to backstop the Lucifer's fire.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Originally posted by ngtm1r
Actually, I would expect some kind of minefield in front of the node, lots of Harbinger bombs probably. The Lucifer probably can't raise its shield when it's half-in and half-out of subspace, so that would be the last chance to hit it.

you would think so, but try and attack the lucifer during another mission that she is in while she's warping in and out. still invulnerable.

I guess if they wanted to the FS Port people could set it so that when the Lucifer jumps in, she would be vulnerable until she was all the way out of the node, then trigger invulnerability via sexp.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
^yeah, also when you look at it entering exiting subspace you can see the sheild forming on the hull quite quick (in cutscenes)
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by kietotheworld
I've just realised why they wouldn't have any ships in front of the node, they would be getting ready to follow the Lucifer out of the system and launch an almighty attack on it.

When I was playing FS1 I could never see the logic in sending the Bastion after the Lucifer, after all it has 16 turrets and the Lucifer has about 30 and 2 "beams".  I has so much trouble with the Clash of the Titansand I kept thinking who cares if the Bastion gets destroyed, don't just give up on Earth, let us follow it and destroy.  When I eventually got through COTT and THe Great Hunt and I realised the Bastion wasn't coming with us anyway I wanted to chuck my computer out the window.

do NOT mention that mission when i'm around.

I've often wondered why they would send the Bastion even though it was so far behind. in the Great Hunt, you should have seen me in my Ursa scampering to the node :lol: no one could even touch me!

Firecrack: Really? I thought that was the flux/beam cannons :nervous:

ngtm1r: even so, the node would collapse anyway, since the Lucifer would blow up in subspace anyway. kinda like the GTD Bastion cutscene in FS2.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Kie99

What difficulty do you play on?, you shouldn't be able to get to the node in an Ursa without cover unless you play on very easy.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Waht could beat Lucifer shields?

Lawyers....
Mr. T...
Alpha 1...
Remodulation of the deflector array...
The HLP hammer of Justice...
Natzi Space Midgets...
teh Force TM....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by kietotheworld
What difficulty do you play on?, you shouldn't be able to get to the node in an Ursa without cover unless you play on very easy.

Insane :D

I'm that good :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Kie99

You don't seem that good on multi. :doubt: :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
That's because I'm not that good with human intelligence. :p I can handle General-class AI. :p

Not again... :doubt:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 01:39:51 pm by 2299 »