Author Topic: Just a render.....  (Read 7198 times)

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
A new render by......me.  (what, you expected me to say someone else?)

Click

Here's another view.  This is an older version of the mesh.

And just for fun, a side view of the two ships.

Anyone know of a good way to make nav light-type things?  The ones I made weren't all that hot.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Shrike
Anyone know of a good way to make nav light-type things?  The ones I made weren't all that hot.

I do in 2D, but not in 3D...
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
What, you expect me to comment on two forums? That's it, I'm just going to quote this reply once I'm done and paste it onto SB. :p :D

Render's good. I like the view you have on the further ship, and the closer one has nice nav lights (you did a good job on the metal shader), and the sun is sweet. I still don't like you having your stars so bright (IMHO it shows a focus of the camera more on the starscape), but you don't look to have any signs of changing that anytime soon, so heh. ;)

As a render, the quality is nice, but it's (unfortunately), meaningless. We don't even know if the ships are moving anywhere, since you don't tell us, and we can't see any thruster glows (sure, they could be coasting, but with relativity and all, how would we know?). So for all we can see, it's just two ships sitting, sunbaking. Ummm... woohoo! ;) Work on putting some story into it next time (you've done it before, it doesn't take much at all).

Anyway, nice job. I won't steal your limelight by posting my three new renders. :D
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
Well, I thought about putting in a bit of weapons fire, but it would all be going to basically the vanishing point......
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
You could make them under attack from some pirates. Excuse for explosions! :D

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
I think that Steakyboy :D said it all. I have no other comments as he pretty much covered everything.
good render aside from all of those things.
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
nice nice nice - for the nav lights what progs you using?
ARGHHH

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
Originally posted by Setekh
You could make them under attack from some pirates. Excuse for explosions! :D
Excuse for shield effects actually.  Which reminds me, I have to figure out how to make shield effects.....

Originally posted by KillMeNow
nice nice nice - for the nav lights what progs you using?
Just default MAX lens flares.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Corsair
I think that Steakyboy :D said it all. I have no other comments as he pretty much covered everything.

Another name? Well, looks my title is really kicking in, isn't it?

Anyway, shield effects? You have room to move... you can invent whatever shield effects your universe wants. :)

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Originally posted by Setekh
Another name? Well, looks my title is really kicking in, isn't it?
I'm tired, I just woke up, and my mind is a little fried. Therefore, you have a new name. I christen this GVA Setekh: The GVA Steakyboy!!!!!  :D

Yes, it appears you have a new name ;)
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
So, what have I got so far? AWACS, Steak, Poor Setekh, SteakyBoy, Tang-Boy, Steak of Steaks... uhhh... :p

Uh-oh. Shrike is gonna kill me for derailing his topic after he went to sleep... uhh.. *runs* :nervous:

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
I still think you should put more work on your nebulae. The scenes are good, but lack any kind of emotion - something like what Setekh said....
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
I'll just say the following: Yummy. Me likes.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Shrike
Just default MAX lens flares.

use volumetric lights, that's remains the best way for such things. A few local lights shouldn't drain your resources down.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by venom2506
use volumetric lights, that's remains the best way for such things. A few local lights shouldn't drain your resources down.

You sure of that? Those things are not much better than a decently controlled lens flare, and take ages to render...

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Styxx

You sure of that? Those things are not much better than a decently controlled lens flare, and take ages to render...

no, if it's just for a few lights ( say a dozen of punctual lights), it's really not that heavy. I made a SF hydra glows only with volumetric lights.
Of course, the glows are faster: for a red light, you make a very small white sphere, 100% self illumination, give it a red glow, et voila. the pb is that you have to figure how to scale it down with the distance. I can't :(
SCREW CANON!

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
Use videopost lensflares.

the render effects ones suck in a terrible, terrible way.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by wEvil

True.

Hey, wEvil - you know of any other lens flare plugins that actually SCALE the damn thing with distance? The distance fade thing on the standard MAX one is just... terrible. :p

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by wEvil

I only use the video post effects, but yet, after various searches and asking various peoples, I still have NEVER been able to get the glows to scale properly with distance. not even once, by accident. annoying. Also annoying is that they won't sho through opacity or any transparent map. stupid, if you ask me.
SCREW CANON!

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
check out www.blur.com/blurbeta

I *THINK* they have a shader that does glows through opacity maps.

are you using Gbuffer geometry channels or effects IDs?  Material effects IDs should work...i cant remember.

If theres one thing they should fix in MAX for the next release its a decent glow/lens flare package because the two implementations currently in there are unpredictable and hard to use.