Author Topic: UW Act I Demo Release  (Read 126325 times)

Offline Solatar

I remember way back in the day when the Unification War (the entire thing) WAS going to be the demo. :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
So this is a demo of the demo. :p

Offline wuu

Very promising . But the only thing thats bugs me is with the target system.
First you had nothing than anything.

What I mean is now you can use autospeed, autotarget, have scanners, see the health of the other fighter craft and the sub systems, the way marker....etc

It makes no sense to get everything at ones and not to have a primitive target system.

It should be possible to have a Limited target system at the beginning, that shows you only what craft it is, the distance and speed without the other stuff.

This would make more sense in space combat where u must take care of your ammo, fuel
and the effectice range of your ammo shells.
The other system should be add in the other chapters and in the Final product the apollo.

No offense, its all great so far. Well my bad english! I hope you get what i mean.

Der Freigeist

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, I found that transition to be really strange as well.  Does seem to be too modern of a system to get it all at once like that.  I half expected certain things about it to still be different, cruder, but was surprised to find it all fully functional.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I found that transition to be weird too... In fact I stopped there since my wingmen all died in the first 5 seconds. :wtf:

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I was satisfied with the illusion. After all, you don't really know how long the thing has been in the works, and while it would've been logical for it to not show everything as it does in retail - really, who gives a damn? You got the targeting, rejoice.

It's not like we didn't mimic the Shivan shields in exactly the same manner they've had them for thousands of years in the course of 2-3 missions as well.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah but if they'd asked for our input I bet we would have told them the shields should have developed over time too :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The MX-50 tech description does mention a "deflector array," so Shivan shields may have been examined prior to the Shivan's arrival.

This is what it actually says:

Quote from: MX-50 Tech Description
Early experiments with energy based defenses like the deflector array at Ross 128 have shown that this weapon is exceedingly weak against anything besides steel based targets.

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
This also means that if the Shivans didn't appear to unite Terrans and Vasudans the Terrrans probably would have won the TVW with all that stuff they had in development.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The main FreeSpace campaign is a mostly Terran-centered campaign and if it was more Vasudan centered, the Vasudans would probably have revealed a lot more of their own stuff that they had in development, like the Thoth.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I meant gameplay wise, not historically. You see shields on the shivans in one mission while you're just a bare hull, 2-3 missions later, you're utilizing the same thing they are.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Not to mention that the Vasudans are still using An00bises and ML-16s/VLL-9s at this point. :rolleyes:

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
A model UV error.

Take a look at the attached screenshot or, better, open F3 lab and see it by yourself.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah I saw that too.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Most of the fighters ( Mustang Alpha the most ) have bad textures for some reason  :wtf:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I agree.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Unless you add the enhanced pack, the fighters will only have some low resolution pcx files.

An issue with a project that has been in process as long as this one is that many of its assets are four years old or even more.  Likewise for the idea about a gradual increase in sensor capabilities -- SCP did not support such a feature until the advent of scripting, which was not available until recently.  Ultimately it was time to fish or cut bait, and so we have this release of Chapter 1.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I also ran across one of the freighters that seemed to have some terrible bounding box issues.  I could fly through 75% of the ship.  Don't remember which one though, I'll have to look it up later if no one else has noticed this.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Wow I just noticed that the Sagittarius is the same model as INFSCP's Lenaeus (but with different textures). I guess they can't be considered to be in the same universe anymore though. :(

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Wow I just noticed that the Sagittarius is the same model as INFSCP's Lenaeus (but with different textures). I guess they can't be considered to be in the same universe anymore though. :(

The non existence of the Zagreus in the TVWP universe already put paid to that.  Likewise note the Inferno fighter 'Enceladus' -- which is a version of the Mustang Alpha closer to the original V concept art.  There seems to have been some sharing of models between the two projects ages ago.

I also ran across one of the freighters that seemed to have some terrible bounding box issues.  I could fly through 75% of the ship.  Don't remember which one though, I'll have to look it up later if no one else has noticed this.

The only freighter in Chapter 1 is the Chronos, which just uses the original V model unchanged.  Are you sure it wasn't a different class?
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.