Author Topic: UW Act I Demo Release  (Read 126324 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It's not a question of the mod, it's the build that you're running.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Cobra, doesn't it also have to be enabled in the ships.tbl?  That comes with the mod, doesn't it?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
No, from what I can see the stuff in the tables is for lateral thrusters.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's in a table somewhere, or else all ships in every mod would have glide when using a glide-capable build.  It's more than just the build that has to have it, the mod has to specifically enable it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Dysko

Just finished the demo... very good :yes:

I found quite funny the "Acquisition" mission
Spoiler:
The one where you have to capture the Jovian gas miners.
In that mission, I captured Torino and destroyed Como, Padova, Genova, Imola and Savona. After that mission, I really had to say "Milano rocks!" :lol:

BTW, I have the Mustang textures problem too. And also in-mission, not only in the tech-room/F3. :nervous:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
If Mobius is still having troubles with the error message... I had the same thing, but once I enabled jpg/tga textures it worked like a charm.

Now the feedback. I liked it a lot. I especially liked the lack of shields. And weapons with limited ammo. And the the lack of shields. I also liked the finite afterburner reserves, because IMO infinite afterburners are as much a cheat as shields. And I also liked the lack of shields, which made combat interesting.

Also the no targetting thing was interesting. At first it was a bit annoying when I had trouble figuring out where to go and where to dock. And hostiles kinda flew in my face when there wasn't a distance indicator on them. But when I got used to it, I liked it. It actually improved my situational awareness as I had to keep an eye on my bearings and where everyone was, because I didn't have targetting computers to do it for me. That was a ballsy move, my hat's off for you...
After getting the sensors it was like OMG! HAXX!!! Killing poor pirates at max range... It was a kind of a bummer. Made combat easier. :doubt:

There wasn't a lot of chance to take on capital ships. But during the bridge shooting, I don't think the cruiser shot at me at all... I haven't really tested the capships abilities yet thought. Just talking about campaign experiences here. I did like the noise the cap ships made when shooting. But it could use some more work. Like a real loud BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM so everyone knows big guns are singing. To really distinguish them from the peashooters on fighters... I'd like capships to be credible threats. Like they were in FS1 before getting shields.

Overall... Really great work. :yes:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Hm, I thought the capship guns did go BOOM BOOM.  I'll look into it.  Thanks. :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You know guys, I was kind of disappointed with a few of the anti-cap bombs. IMO they were just scaled-down versions of the Tsunami and Harbinger. I thought you would have a few more original weapons, like a swarm missile or something. Note that Hornets can do tremendous damage to cruisers.

In my own mod, the Terrans used swarm missiles to do damage to cruisers. I find this far more plausible than simply scaled down versions of FS2 torpedoes.

On the other hand, I did like those Infyrno-like cap weapons. "Firestorm" or something. They looked primitive, as opposed to the plasma weapons used by the capital ships in FS1 FS2.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Speaking of capital ship weapons, It was hard to see but it looked like there was a black square where the effects should be. I took some screenshots; lemme see if I can find 'em.

About cap ship weopons: I had the impression that most if not all of the capship guns wont fire at all. In those missions with enemy carriers I could fly directly in front of the carrier without getting shot at all. In the mission where you capture the gasminers I noticed only one weapon of the damocles: its rocketlauncher. But there seems to be a bug with this rocketlauncher. About half the time the damocles will hit itself with the rocket.
You can test it: just load this mission and stay a bit behind while your wingman will engage the damocles. You can see some explosions on the damocles (and it get pretty damaged). They are NOT caused by your wingman.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
About cap ship weopons: I had the impression that most if not all of the capship guns wont fire at all. In those missions with enemy carriers I could fly directly in front of the carrier without getting shot at all. In the mission where you capture the gasminers I noticed only one weapon of the damocles: its rocketlauncher. But there seems to be a bug with this rocketlauncher. About half the time the damocles will hit itself with the rocket.
This did happen to me too. Both passive enemy caps, and the damocles shooting weird... I didn't say anything because I only played trought it once and wasn't really keeping an eye on them...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, it looked like the Damocles did more damage to itself than anyone else did, or than it did to anyone else.  Seemed like more than 3/4 of the missiles hit itself.  I also do remember flying by the carrier and wondering why none of its turrets were doing much of anything.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The carriers fired Fusion Mortar-ish weapons for me. But I thought the Damocles was trying to do some kind of primitive version of space flak while hitting itself.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Yes, anticap weapons were indeed fired. But the fighters never had anything to afraid of. That's pretty passive for a capship. And the damocles seemd to firing a version of Infyrno missile. But it didn't seem to track at all. Just fly for a while and making a big boom, with no child munitions that were noticeable...

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Aside from the bugs that have already been posted, all I have to say is MORE MORE MORE. I want to hunt down those dirty Vasudans.

The biggest bug I have is the Mustang texture issue, and also yeah, the Damocles had some strange flak-looking issue.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Hey I've just discovered a worm-hole in the space-time continuous ...

At least in TVWPch1m02.fs2 (Sunny day), a lot of ships come from the future with active shields. I WANT ONE OF THEM  :lol:

EDITED. A note to the modding team

Please run the game using 3.6.9. debug build, (remember newest builds don't give warnings). Just during game loading you get some table errors you should fix.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 04:48:51 am by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What?  New builds don't give warnings?  Dang, I guess that means I do have a problem with the tables I've been working on.  Thought it was just a problem with 3.6.9.

That is an evasive maneuver!

Does TVWP support glide? I wasn't aware.

Your ship is actually doing that as well, you just don't notice it. The TVWP ships are meant to be hard to handle and have high damping values, which leads to "sliding".

At least in TVWPch1m02.fs2 (Sunny day), a lot of ships come from the future with active shields. I WANT ONE OF THEM 

That would be my fault. You're probably talking about the last group of pirates that arrive. Most of the crappy missions are mine. Slips like that are a Mustang trademark.

Yes, anticap weapons were indeed fired. But the fighters never had anything to afraid of. That's pretty passive for a capship. And the damocles seemd to firing a version of Infyrno missile. But it didn't seem to track at all. Just fly for a while and making a big boom, with no child munitions that were noticeable...

TVWP anti-fighter armament is relatively weak. Think of the difference between FS1 blob turrets and FS2 AAA beams. There's a similar technological gap here. Also remember that the Damocles is the oldest warship in the game. You don't get a chance to do so in this mod, but later you can make bombing runs on an Atropos (the Fenris-looking "frigate")... you'll notice the difference.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That would be my fault. You're probably talking about the last group of pirates that arrive. Most of the crappy missions are mine. Slips like that are a Mustang trademark.

No wonder you cheated for you MT audition mission. :P

Hm? I never got into MT, just sent them a sample mission and never got a reply...  (wonder why) :p