Author Topic: UW Act I Demo Release  (Read 126322 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: TVWP Act I Demo Release
Protip: you can get around the 'destroy fighters (6)' problem by simply using destroyed-or-departed instead of is-destroyed-delay. It prevents the numbers from showing up.

That is not a wise choice when hostile fighters are expected to escape during the mission. Not that it's going to happen so often, though...

Take a look at what forum you're posting in.

Do hostile fighters have jump drives?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I get the message but if you know how to do things the good way why would you choose cheaper and unreliable solutions? It's just a matter of good FREDding here.

Please note that "escape" is a rather generic word in terms of FREDding. A spacecraft can "escape" by 1) engaging its subspace drives, 2) entering a fighterbay and 3) jumping out without the warp effect. I see 1 can't be done in TVWP, but 2 and 3 are definitely possible ergo your trick will not work on various occasions.

We know that before the very end of FS1 spacecraft couldn't jump from one system to another. Therefore, at some point in the next acts of TVWP, spacecraft will be able to execute jumps from one sector of a system to another.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If the trick doesn't work, don't use it.

But in TVWP so far, those situations you're describing don't happen. If they did happen, then don't use them in those situations. It's a matter of good FREDding here: you don't have to use the same solution everywhere.

Furthermore I'm not sure I actually see the problem with using destroyed-or-departed even if some of the hostile wing does depart. Unless you specifically MUST destroy them instead of letting them escape, it's not an issue either way.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Furthermore I'm not sure I actually see the problem with using destroyed-or-departed even if some of the hostile wing does depart. Unless you specifically MUST destroy them instead of letting them escape, it's not an issue either way.

It's just doesn't work properly with the "Destroy <fighters>" formula. But we're going a bit OT here, so I'd say to discuss different approaches on FRED elsewhere.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It works perfectly fine with the "Destroy [wing]" (say, Aries) formula. It doesn't display the numerical count of ships remaining, but will still be satisfied when they're destroyed - which is exactly what we want here.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
The problem is that it will satisfied even if part of the said wing departs. Using terms like "Stop", "Repel", "Intercept" is fine regardless of the fate of that wing, but "Destroy" implies its total destruction ergo it's not plausible.

Again, we're OT here.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I know that. I already explained to you how to get around that.

Don't use it when there's a chance some of the hostile wing will depart (and it actually matters.) But see that TVWP badge next to my name (not that I FREDded any of this Act I or II cluster****, mind)? In general TVWP ships do not depart. They just don't; the wings don't have departure cues, so they fight to the death. So when there's no departure cue set for the wing, it's fine to use destroyed-or-departed.

You are not a moderator. If we're off topic a moderator will handle it.