Author Topic: The Pericles is dog ugly  (Read 11435 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The Pericles is dog ugly
Who textured that thing? It looks like someone pooed on a plate and called it a texture. Rancid. Whoever he is, he should be ashamed that work of such low quality is appearing in a mod that anyone else would ever want to play. Frankly, it's **** and embarassing for you and the mysterious original texturer who shall remain at all times nameless:mad2:

Anyway, given the nastiness of the texture, I'm going to fix the mistakes made by this unnamed desecrator of digital art by retexturing it. But I figured I might as well HTL it first. So here are some pictures of that. Tell me what you think and if nobody has any serious problems I'll UV it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Re: The Pericles is dog ugly
I wanted to dump the Pericles in favor of some other model for the same reasons you mention. :)  A certain other person told me "But I wuv the Pericles" so it stayed. :)  The low poly one has some errors, to boot.

This looks nice to me. Some definition of what the strange triangle like structure on the bow section might improve it more.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Triangle like structures? That's a little cutaway I'm going to put the cokpit windows into. I've added a little bit more geometry up there so it has some more structure to it.

And you're right about the geometry - lots of weirdness. Overlapping faces mostly. While this did start from the original mesh, I'd say less than 50% of the original polies have actually survived at all - whole big sections have been rebuilt onto the existing verts, either to fix geometry or to add detail, so hopefully they should be mostly gone in this version.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline -Norbert-

Not any serious issues, but may I suggest to give it an airlock or something like the Elysium and the Argo have.

I can't see that much difference from the original ( http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/TT_Pericles ) ... I suggest you make the airlock-like section (the centre of the top)  a bit more pronounced. Also, the bottom of the hull could use some more greebles as well.
Just my two cents; of course it's just a transport, so if it doesn't play too big a role, don't spend too much time on it ;)

Offline -Norbert-

Wait, that circle on top is the airlock? But it's below the level of the engines! You wouldn't be able to dock anything up there, that's broader than the central part of the transport.
I thought that was some kind of overservation dome or somesuch.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The space shuttle has to extend its docking ring to dock with the ISS.  And that's after it opens its cargo bay doors.  So, I don't think docking ring placement would be a problem for the Pericles.

And Black Wolf, this looks very promising. :) :yes:

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I can't see that much difference from the original ( http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/TT_Pericles ) ... I suggest you make the airlock-like section (the centre of the top)  a bit more pronounced. Also, the bottom of the hull could use some more greebles as well.
Just my two cents; of course it's just a transport, so if it doesn't play too big a role, don't spend too much time on it ;)

Well, that's the point of HTLing, surely? To make it look the same but better? And TBH the big change is going to be in the textures - you'll definitely notice it there. I've added some underside greebles, but what do you mean by "pronounced"?

Norbert - I'm limited by the original model, and so there's not much I can do about things like that.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Well, that's the point of HTLing, surely? To make it look the same but better? And TBH the big change is going to be in the textures - you'll definitely notice it there. I've added some underside greebles, but what do you mean by "pronounced"?
As is, the airlock doesn't quite catch the eye, it's more like... it blends smoothly into the main hull. Of course, the texture may improve on that as well. But personally, I would expect the transition between hull and airlock to be somewhat more... technical-looking, instead of sleek. That might be just me though.

Offline -Norbert-

The space shuttle has to extend its docking ring to dock with the ISS.  And that's after it opens its cargo bay doors.  So, I don't think docking ring placement would be a problem for the Pericles.
While this would be really nice I doubt it can be done in FS2. Instead of extending the airlock upwards it's more likely to have it's engines partially inside the ship or station it docks with, that's what I'm concerned with.
I'm limited by the original model, and so there's not much I can do about things like that.
Maybe you could extend the airlock upwards a bit, so it's level or jutting a little bit above the engines. I don't think that would stray too far from the original model.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I wouldn't be excessively worried about staying close to the original model.  As it is an unarmed vessel, and has only appeared in one released mission, there isn't much consequence to changing things if you think it improves the ships aesthetic appeal.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
on the extending airlock idea wouldnt it be possable to have the docking point in mid air and using the 3 point rotators technique discussed in another thread (i cant find it though) to move a subobject representing the extending arm

or how about a single arm that rotates at one end

both would have to be triggered by either a script or sexp but it should work
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Note that I'm not really capable of all this fancyness with the poffing and the animating and the all that. I plan, more or less, to drop a Single LOD, textured model into the forum, maybe with somne debris if I'm feeling really bored one day, for the TVWP people to do with what they will. I'm capable of that, since this is an unarmed vessel. Beyond that, I reckon I might struggle.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I didn't actually mean that the model should actually have an extending docking ring.  I was posting that as a justification for hand-waving away a docking point that floated a few meters above the model. :p

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Alright, I've got it mostly UVed (I'll Upload some pics of where it ended up in a bit), and will start texturing soonish.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I didn't actually mean that the model should actually have an extending docking ring.  I was posting that as a justification for hand-waving away a docking point that floated a few meters above the model. :p
Dx

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Alright, I've got it mostly UVed (I'll Upload some pics of where it ended up in a bit), and will start texturing soonish.

Bump. Any progress on this? I'm currently revising the UW ships, so I'd like to know if you're still working on this... if not, would you donate your WIP?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea