Author Topic: Possible balance bugs  (Read 5799 times)

Offline Infamus

Possible balance bugs
Ok, I two problems I want to cover:

one: countermeasures
-some ships have 25 cm's some have two or three and the rest have none. serious balance issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

two: collision insta-gibs
-when flying the Kestrel, Falcon, or Shrike, bumping into anything kills you... instantly. this is extremely annoying and this happens with no other ship. Both Mustang variants and the Atlas are unaffected. even going at 20 mps it still kills me. This happens on "Illumination" from Chapter 1 Act 3 only, as far as I know. I did not test any other mission fully.

Does this have something to do with the enemy ships?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:03:28 am by Goober5000 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Possible massive table errors
Neither of these are "massive table errors".  I've modified your thread title.

-some ships have 25 cm's some have two or three and the rest have none. serious balance issue.
It is by design that certain ships have only 2-3 countermeasures.  The ones that have 25 are probably mistakes.

two: collision insta-gibs
-when flying the Kestrel, Falcon, or Shrike, bumping into anything kills you... instantly. this is extremely annoying and this happens with no other ship. Both Mustang variants and the Atlas are unaffected. even going at 20 mps it still kills me. This happens on "Illumination" from Chapter 1 Act 3 only, as far as I know. I did not test any other mission fully.
Avoid the ship and you won't get hit, pilot.

Alternatively, it would help if you were able to test a few other missions.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Re: Possible balance bugs
The ship with 25 cms is the Kestrel. I was under the impression it had them because it handles worse than a brick (so badly in fact that i dont fly it).
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Avoid the ship and you won't get hit, pilot.

I have a hard time convincing the AI to do that.
I don't know about you, but the AI loves running into things, and running into me.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Infamus

for my first problem. whatever

for my second, i just got all mustang alphas.

Offline Solatar

I've been playing through the campaign recently, and I haven't really had the collision problem.  The high damp means I often smack sideways into capital ships (or at least until I learned to compensate), but it rarely destroyed me - unless I was already at a low damage level. What difficulty level are you playing at?

I did learn to stay the **** away from exploding capital ships and bombs though. . .

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I'm still having trouble with damn bombs that seemingly fly in random directions.

Offline Solatar

Would you mind elaborating? Is it a problem with your bombs, or wingmen, etc.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
It's more me not yet used to the gameplay...
It is kind of annoying when you get killed by a stray bomb or explosion near the end of a mission though.
Despite difficulties, I've still been enjoying it a lot though.

Offline Solatar

Was just trying to separate problems getting used to the play style (which I understand) from actual bugs.  :)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
One thing I noticed, although maybe it was the build I was using, is that the AI will often fly crazy circles with the Mustang Alpha. When it is attacking something, it would occationally run around in circles. Maybe they should rename it the GTF Curly. :P

In one of the missions there was a bug. I don't recall the name of it, but it was after the supply depot cruiser raids you need to protect the cruiser group as it tries to make a run for it, except that two of them never make it because they can't seem to reach their jumpout waypoints for some reason. Instead they fly circles around it over and over again, always it read one second until they reached it.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
One thing I noticed, although maybe it was the build I was using, is that the AI will often fly crazy circles with the Mustang Alpha. When it is attacking something, it would occationally run around in circles. Maybe they should rename it the GTF Curly. :P
+1. It reminds me of what the instructor in FSPort Training 1 does while he tells you to use your afterburners. I'm almost sure it can happen with other fighters, too.

In one of the missions there was a bug. I don't recall the name of it, but it was after the supply depot cruiser raids you need to protect the cruiser group as it tries to make a run for it, except that two of them never make it because they can't seem to reach their jumpout waypoints for some reason. Instead they fly circles around it over and over again, always it read one second until they reached it.
+1, also. I think it's the raid on the PRM supply base, with the cruisers supporting the assault. Wanting to complete as many objectives as possible, I restarted a couple of times before I realized what was(n't) going on(I simply ran back to the Ark Royal when warned of its impending jump).