Author Topic: Question about the GTD Orion 3D Model.  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Corto

Question about the GTD Orion 3D Model.
Is this model being remade? Because I searched for something that says if this is being worked on, and I haven't found anything. I have a friend who thinks this is a good candidate for a remake, since you get to see it through most of the missions on the FS port campaigns, and I could give it a shot. I don't want to race against someone who has already started working on this one though. Let me read your opinions.

Offline Qent

Re: Question about the GTD Orion 3D Model.
There are two distinct completed remakes: the one in the MediaVPs and Trashman's (which has several versions). The reason they're not seen in the port has something to do with Retail compatibility.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

We're certainly under no objections to anybody deciding to undertake redoing a model as they see fit...t'is a community project after all. XD

The one think to keep in mind about any redone Orion is the nameplate. Typically, most ships will have a texture slot called "nameplate" that is used for swapping things around. The Orion, because of it's use and history, uses a specific texture name for it's nameplates that should be preserved, but that can be handled during the final game conversion process.

We've seen a few come and go in terms of modifying the Orion. It is quite possibly -the- most difficult ship to update however. Not in terms of complexity or the like (it's not vast on the scale of the Hades or Colossus, for example) but because everybody has their own perception of just what an Orion is, so it will receive the most critical scrutiny of possibly any model in existence. (In fact, we did have one person make some fairly significant progress, but then just pretty much walked away with it because of this).

So far as I know, we don't have anybody else claiming this model as being "in the works", but even so, the more the merrier, and it can always be a usefully model in or out of the MediaVPs.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Someone named SPECTRE87 was making one, but eventually left. The model was left untouched and vanished.
Other than that, there's no plans for it being remade, and yes it's desparately in need of a new model.
So it's likely free game if you want to try it out.

If you do, I certainly look forward to seeing what you fire up.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
There are two distinct completed remakes: the one in the MediaVPs and Trashman's (which has several versions). The reason they're not seen in the port has something to do with Retail compatibility.

Wrong. The reason the Port MediaVPs do not have the updated Orion in place is because Table based Texture replacement doesn't work yet for being able to use the newer model and swapping the nameplate for each one.

Which isn't to say that one couldn't use the mission side Texture Replace to achieve the same effect, but that is seriously a PITA to manage.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline Corto

Provided I start working on this ship, I work with Softimage XSI and so far there's no support to import geometry exported with that program. Is there people  specializing on the porting process alone?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well.....

If that program can export to something like .3ds or Lightwave, someone else will be able to convert it for ingame use.

If it can export models to Collada 1.4 (.dae extension), no intermediate conversion is necessary, as PCS2 (the program used to convert models to FSO's model format) can read that format just fine on its own.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it

Wrong. The reason the Port MediaVPs do not have the updated Orion in place is because Table based Texture replacement doesn't work yet for being able to use the newer model and swapping the nameplate for each one.

Which isn't to say that one couldn't use the mission side Texture Replace to achieve the same effect, but that is seriously a PITA to manage.

This has been fixed in the latest FSPort media VPs by having separate models for each of the named Orion class destroyers
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

I cannot think of anybody that uses SoftImage. That being said, it should be able to have either plugins or a method of converting from .xsi to another format (such as .3ds at the least).

I also don't know what formats Softimage will import to know what you would need it in to start with. Most modeling these parts is done with Max, Wings or Blender with the occasional old school truespace fan.

¤[D+¬>

Offline Corto

It exports collada, so I should be fine. Thanks everybody.