Author Topic: Video subtitle via script (or any other solution)  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Luke

Video subtitle via script (or any other solution)
Hi all

To the mods: is this the wrong place for my question, please move it to the right place.

I am working as programmer since a really long time, but i am not familiar with the FSO engine or modding.

We on WingCenter searching for a solution to build in subtitles in videos (but without editing the videos) for our translation project, started last year. I heard that it's possible with a "LUA script". I read here several postings/threads about this, but this doesn't help. I have no idea how this must be made. And i don't know is this possible with WCS.

Exists there any examples/documentation for code-controlled-subtitles for FSO?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Video subtitle via script (or any other solution)
There is, at this time, no interface to do this. Our scripting engine (and by extension WCS' as well) is currently not being run during movie playback (In-Engine cutscenes that are rendered in real time are a different matter, of course. Implementing subtitles there is trivial).

Also note that even if we decide to implement such functionality, it wouldn't help WCS, as they have an engine that is vastly different from ours by now (They forked the engine years ago, and we've made quite a lot of changes since then that they haven't copied, and they've made quite a lot of changes to fit their game better that we have no access to).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luke

Thx for the answer The E.

Ok, then for the movie playback we need to edit the videos directly. Not what i want, but okay, that's a clear statement i was searching for. ;-)

About the In-Engine cutscenes, you say it is trivial. Is there an example? And, do you know is this possible with WCS?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
During in-engine cutscenes, one can use the built-in functions to display subtitles, or make subtitle cards as images and display them via sexps.

For example:

Offline Luke

That's exactly what i want.

But i repeat, i am a bloody FSO newbie, i have absolutely no idea how this can be made. Is there any text/script example?

A great video btw!  :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
For in-engine cutscenes, you can use the "show-subtitle" sexp in order to display any subtitle you want (This obviously means you'll have to edit the mission file).

I am not sure whether WCS already has the distinction between show-subtitle-text and show-subtitle-image that we have, you'll have to check that for yourself.

Offline Luke

I don't know what "sexp" is, but "show-subtitle" and "edit the mission file" pointed me to the right location. Now we can translate the existing subtitles.

Thx for your help  :)