Author Topic: [RELEASE]: Pilgrim Legacy for FSO  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
[RELEASE]: Pilgrim Legacy for FSO
This is a modpack based on the Wing Commander movie created by a poster called "Wojo" over on wcnews.  He describes it as:

A ship pack & mods for Wing Commander Saga, based of the Wing Commander Movie canon.

I'm as done as I ever will be. There were so many grand plans. A custom UI (at one point half completed). Voice acting. Cinematics. A multi-campaign story leading to the Siege of Peron. As it is, the mod is incomplete. There are many bugs with weapons & AI behaviors, and features missing from capital ships (docking & fighterbays).

But I have to admit defeat. I just don't have the time and energy to continue, so I thought I'd just release it to the world to play with!

If anyone would like to OFFICIALLY pick up the project, feel free to contact me.

I'd like to thank the Hard Light community for many technical solutions, the WCSaga team for their great work as well as the bits & pieces I've borrowed, and of course the WCNews community for keeping me going this far...

Enjoy!

Some technical info:

- LODs: I've used them to essentially 'black out' models once you get far away. This was to accompany a feature in the mission design that reduced the radar range, to give an experience much like WC1, where you'll see enemy fighters & ship engine glows before they pop up on radar. This was to avoid using autopilot & build suspense.

- There are still many bugs with capital ship weapons, notably the sloship beam cannon which should only fire along the axis of the craft, and torpedo launchers going all sorts of ways.

- Cargo pod daisy-chaining & docking is extremely sketchy. I never quite got the hang of the docking points so you'll see spinning pods, weird approaches & some really strange behaviour if you destroy docked containers.

I have converted this modpack over to standard FSO and fixed any model errors found in it, such as fighterbay pathing, docking and such.  The weapon issues Wojo mentions are all due to the fov setting for the turrets in question in the model files.  I have made the fov setting smaller for the beam turret he mentions; other turrets could also be changed if need be.

The modpack itself is very well made, including high quality fighters, bombers, capital ships, weapons, a custom mainhall (some issues remain with this).  Most of the assets are his own original work and so as such could work well with any mod, WIng Commander themed or not.

Here is a video tour of the assets:

A video of a random test mission I made with some of these assets:

DOWNLOAD from Mediafire
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.