Author Topic: Getting MediaVPs 2014 & Cockpit Mods Working Together?  (Read 2661 times)

Getting MediaVPs 2014 & Cockpit Mods Working Together?
I'm new to FSO, so forgive me if I'm asking what's already been asked. I just installed FSO 3.8.0 Win64 Standard and was so impressed that I stepped up for the whole enchilada and downloaded GB's of extras. Namely; MV_Music, MV_Advanced, MV_A-Glows, MV_RadarIcons, MV_CB_ANI_1, MV_CB_ANI_2. All is good and it's working fine.

I much prefer cockpits for the immersion factor though and noted I had cockpits in Disapora, so I got curious (the can of worms opens!) and did some browsing and discovered the Cockpit 2.0 thread in the Assets subforum. So...I downloaded the cockpit-mod 2.0.rar archive. The instructions in that Cockpit 2.0 thread weren't really clear to me (no doubt because I'm such a FSO n00b), so I just copied the "cockpit-mod 2.0" folder in the archive into my FreeSpace 2 folder. That gave me a listing for 2 mods in wxlauncher, but when I enabled the Cockpits Mod diagonal lines appeared over the Media VPs 2014 mod; since learned that meant it was disabled. I also received 14 errors when I clicked [Play] and launched FreeSpace 2, which came as no surprise as I have Advanced settings checked that use VPs 2014. The cockpits on the other hand are working and I was thrilled to see it there in my training mission - yeah!  :)

I noticed that both of the Mods have have a FSU-MVP.bmp file which appear to be identical and Mod.INI files which are different. It's obvious to me that the files with the VP file extension are the actual mod files that contain the binary code, etc. I did notice that in the cockpit mod.INI that there's this extra section/header:

"[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondarylist = MediaVPs_2014;"

Ideally, what I want to do is have both mods active at the same time, so I'm wondering if that's possible? It sort of read from the cockpit mod thread, that you're supposed to just overwrite the existing mod.INI and I can see where that might explain that additional 'multimod' section. I'd rename the exiting mod.INI in the 'MediaVPs_2014' and copy the cockpit INI and cockpit-mod-2.0.VP file in, but I'm hesitant as I did something similarly bold recently for another game mod and got some nasty corruption in the process. I'm really just stumbling around in a very dark room here with a few matches to occasionally shed some light.  :shaking:  So...I'd really like to hear from one of the experts here if I can get these mods working together and if so, what I need to do to achieve that?

Any info or instructions would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:20:35 pm by kronovan »

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Re: Getting MediaVPs 2014 & Cockpit Mods Working Together?
Those diagonal lines do not mean that the MVPs are disabled; rather it means that the cockpit mod relies on the MVPs to work properly.  Therefore when you launch the cockpit mod, you are using the MVPs.
The primarylist and secondarylist sections of the mod.ini file list these dependencies.  As you can see, the cockpit mod depends on the MVPs.  See http://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Mod.ini for the difference between primarylist and secondarylist.
As for modifying or renaming anything inside the MVPs folder, don't do it.  This could severely break other mods that require the MVPs but aren't compatible with the cockpit mod.  Keep the cockpit mod (and every other mod you download for that matter) in its own folder.
TLDR:  Your current setup should be working fine.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Thanks for the reply PIe.

Those diagonal lines do not mean that the MVPs are disabled; rather it means that the cockpit mod relies on the MVPs to work properly.  Therefore when you launch the cockpit mod, you are using the MVPs.
OK cool, I can see where I made the wrong assumption there. Thanks for the info & link on the dependencies - I'll read about them next.
As for modifying or renaming anything inside the MVPs folder, don't do it.  This could severely break other mods that require the MVPs but aren't compatible with the cockpit mod.  Keep the cockpit mod (and every other mod you download for that matter) in its own folder.
Yikes! Well I'm glad I decided to be more cautious.  :cool:
TLDR:  Your current setup should be working fine.
Well the problem is, it's not entirely working fine. When I start FreeSpace 2 from wxLauncher and press the [ESC] key to bypass the intro video, I receive a message box with this text:

"WARNING!
The currently active mod has generated 14 warnings and/or errors during program startup. These could have been caused by anything from incorrectly formatted table files to corrupt models. While Freespace Open will attempt to compensate for these issues, it cannot guarantee a trouble-free gameplay experience. Source code project staff cannot provide assistance or support for these problems, as they are caused by the MOD's data files. Not Freespace Open's source code"

On the other hand, despite that warning when I launch a training mission the cockpit is there in my ship. So I'm wondering what's going wrong there and is it going to cause me problems as I play the game?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:33:12 pm by kronovan »

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I suppose I should have said it's working as well as currently possible.  You set it up correctly but the cockpit mod itself has problems.  Those errors may or may not cause noticeable problems but there's nothing you can do about it until they are fixed  Posting a debug log (instructions are in this thread) would help in seeing what the issues are.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq

[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship

I did the reading on the multimod section and primarylist & secondarylist values and noted that the mod folders are being passed on the command line in this format:

-mod "cockpit-mod
2.0,MediaVPs_2014"

I noticed there's a line break after "cockpit-mod" in the folder name and that the break appears to have truncated a space. The correct folder name is "cockpit-mod 2.0". The Media VPs 2014 mod folder is listed correctly. From my understanding of command line parsing, that shouldn't be an issue. Yup as expected; I renamed the cockpit mod folder to cockpit-mod_2.0 which caused it to be listed correctly in the command line, but it didn't resolve the 14 warning / errors.

So seeing what you just posted PIe, this might be a benign thing. I'll run the debug and check the log.

[Edit] fs2_open.log attached.  I ran the Debug as far as selecting a training mission and then exited when the mission began.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:02:26 pm by kronovan »

Get this version
I fixed those warnings some time ago. :nervous:

Awesome stuff tomimaki - that worked!   :)

Get this version
I fixed those warnings some time ago. :nervous:

How do you use this in Knossos?

I don't.
You could try to drop (not recommended - it can kill your cat) cockpit-mod_2.0a.vp into some campaign folder. It may work, it may break some things. :nervous:

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
You could try creating a new development mod for the cockpit mod and add the mod with which you want to use this as a dependency.  Whenever you want to use it with something else, just switch out the dependency.
Don't upload anything though.