Author Topic: Original FS 2 campaign  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Tiranja

Original FS 2 campaign
Hey there,

I have the feeling that the FS 2 campaign changed a lot when using the launcher and the Media VPs. For example wingmen die like nothing.

Right now I am in the first covert ops mission where Boshs ship needs to be protected vs Vasudans and asteroids.

Without the Media VPs on medium, it was a decent mission.

But now with all enabled on medium difficulty setting all allied starfighters go down very fast. Only Snipes survives since he is invincible per mission script.

What can I do? Playing on easy? Or am I missing something? All I want is intelligent wingmen but still a challenge.

Thanks for any replies :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Original FS 2 campaign
The game should behave in exactly the same way with and without the MediaVPs.  Are you using a different SCP build perhaps?  There could be a bug.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Which launcher are you using? Do you know which version of the MediaVPs you have installed?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Honestly I think a rigorous retail w/retail code vs SCP vs SCP w/MediaVPs test might be in order. I get the sense a lot of changes have crept in.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Excellent idea.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Now we just need someone with enough time to do it...  :nervous:

Also, it might be useful to record the whole playthrough so others can examine the videos later on and compare them.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Honestly I think a rigorous retail w/retail code vs SCP vs SCP w/MediaVPs test might be in order. I get the sense a lot of changes have crept in.

Good thinking. Would it be worth doing something similar with FS Port?
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Now we just need someone with enough time to do it...  :nervous:

Also, it might be useful to record the whole playthrough so others can examine the videos later on and compare them.

Yup. Plus it will create some juicy original content for the HLP YT channel  :)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Good thinking. Would it be worth doing something similar with FS Port?

One run should be enough to see how behavior changes, but you'd already have to play the game/selected set of missions 4 times (1 for each option), including FSPort adds retail FSPort and MVP FSPort at minimum with little/no information gain.

With how small changes in your actions can radically alter the course of a mission and especially how well the AI does one run is by no means enough. It's extremely unrepresentative. You can play the same mission twice and have radically different results in regards to wingman survival. If they get targeted early and dragged into a dogfight they could all get killed off in seconds. If the enemy AI decides to target you instead your wingmen will be totally free to shoot them down.
Due to just how random wingman survival can be even 5 runs on the same mission wouldn't really be representative. I know I've ran some missions like 10 times and had radically different results with the same strategy just due to small differences in hostile AI targetting and minute execution differences(like whether I hit my first few shots or not and whether certain missiles connect).
If you're playing on medium it's very easy to forget just how lethal FS combat is for wingmen who don't have your damage absorption bonuses and shield regeneration buffs.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Might be best to let the missions self-play and see where they fail. Do some strategic cheating if need be.

Offline Veers

I'll be happy to check my install and help out by playing through, any difficulty level as I would normally play on retail insane with mouse/keyboard

Just not sure how you would want to collect the data? observations? Or what sort of time-frame either.
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3