Author Topic: HLP YouTube channel  (Read 26760 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: HLP YouTube channel
HLP scales it; the original on imgur is 2560x1440
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Not the literal same image ;)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Artwork is up and looks fab. About section and social media links updated. I found the video with the pink space dakka-dakka and added it to the liked videos playlist (It's called 'Freespace 2 SCP Postprocessing Build 3.6.13')

So I think the channel is good-to-go and ready for sharing. I ask that a few of you fine people take a look and let me know what you think and let me know your thoughts. If I have done anything wrong or missed anything please let me know ASAP.

Ideally please take a look as both a subscriber and a non-subscriber since apparently the home page may look different dependent on the visitor's subscriber status. In particular I need to know if the channel intro video - the latest 1999 vs 2019 into video - shows on both the 'new visitor' and 'returning subscribers' homepage.

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Iain 'Sessile Nomad' Baker
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Looks a bit bland on the mobile app but beats a blank space  :yes:

Just my opinion :)
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Okay, so my three coins dropping into the discussion (heh):

So firstly, I think the HLP logo in the channel would look better displayed against a black/dark background (but I'm swayed, I'm using Youtube dark mode all the time :P).

So, what kind of content can we expect in this channel? Because it's obvious for me that it's going to feature some kind of FSO engine technical novelties or maybe mod trailers/teasers? I have got a few ideas on what we can include here too, and how we can separate this into playlists. For example, create playlists like these:
Getting started! - videos on how to set up Knossos and FSO, some sort of showcase of how FSO functions and settings affect the game, ect... Of course, it should be slapped on the main page.
Campaign playthroughs - preferably one playlist per campaign/mod, the videos should consist of the gameplay with some tips and information conveyed through subtitles or something like that (like in that one MattTheGeek's video on Her Finest Hour), with maybe multiple videos per mission to showcase possible different approaches in more complex missions. Of course, everything recorded with as much FSO graphical goodies as possible :P
Gameplay tips and tricks - about: how to get better at playing FSO. Maybe showing some AI behaviours, comparing stats ect.
Freespace Open news - I think this would be a nice place to show off the new functionality and features of FSO when they're introduced. For example, things like Axem's moving arms Sathanas or cloak shaders. Or The E's videos on implementations of HDR/PBR in FSO.
Mod trailers/teasers - just as the name says. If any new big mod gets a trailer or something, it should be featured in this playlist.
The fun corner - funny Freespace videos, like that musical Shivan beam. Maybe some memes or funny bugs?
Modding tutorials - videos on how to set up mods on Knossos, use FRED, PCS2, make models, write scripts ect. ect. And I think Asteroth's (?) FRED tutorial streams could fit here?
Interviews and discussions - As the name suggests. I think the dev commentaries from one of BP-related channels and Firesteel's videos would fit in.

Maybe there would be even place for some streams, like Firesteel did on Twitch earlier?

I also think that there's a better way to upload videos than just be provided with a video file and having to upload it yourself. I think Youtube allows for multiple users to use the same channel and upload videos to it, but I'm not sure how that exactly works. This would eliminate the need to effectively upload the same video twice and the requirement of your presence to make uploads.

There's also a question whether you're thinking of bringing old clips from other users over to this channel, or just inserting them in playlists. I personally think it would be the best if every new FSO video was appearing on this specific channel. Maybe we could negotiate a bit with people who are making Freespace videos on their own right now so that they would entirely move their videos here?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I personally think it would be the best if every new FSO video was appearing on this specific channel. Maybe we could negotiate a bit with people who are making Freespace videos on their own right now so that they would entirely move their videos here?

I'd second that. The question is now - how could this be done in a reasonable easy way? Because elseway the number of people willing to share their videos will be even shorter. AFAIK (I don't have YT though) you'd have to upload the videos somewhere else (like MediaFire), then have them on YT ASAP.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Campaign playthroughs - preferably one playlist per campaign/mod, the videos should consist of the gameplay with some tips and information conveyed through subtitles or something like that (like in that one MattTheGeek's video on Her Finest Hour), with maybe multiple videos per mission to showcase possible different approaches in more complex missions. Of course, everything recorded with as much FSO graphical goodies as possible :P

If campaign playthroughs are among the content of the HLP YT channel in the end, then I'm open to sharing the vid files of my recent YT playthrough of Freespace Blue (Blue Planetfied-FS2 original campaign). :yes:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'd second that. The question is now - how could this be done in a reasonable easy way? Because elseway the number of people willing to share their videos will be even shorter. AFAIK (I don't have YT though) you'd have to upload the videos somewhere else (like MediaFire), then have them on YT ASAP.

Is there really no way to have a video on two channels at the same time? Even if both channels want it?

I think at the very least we can set up a playlist with other Freespace videos we don't have on that channel. The HLP channel is definitely welcome to link the Diaspora videos either directly on the channel or via a playlist. Diaspora should also be a featured channel.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 03:08:37 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Guys... Getting other's work hosted on the HLP channel is the wrong way to go.

Let's Plays are generally the work of people trying to grow their own channel. No one doing that is going to hand HLP their views and watch time. I'd also suggest that Let's Plays are outside the scope of a channel like this, but I'll get to that. Having an HLP playlist of Let's Plays is the best way to go here.

Original work (cutscenes and the like). Being one who fits in this category... I don't want to hand over my views. I worked my ass off on these and gave them away for free. The least I can ask for is to get the YouTube credit. With that said, doubly uploading these (unless the artist is ok with it) would be kind of a dick move. Again, link to or playlist these from the HLP channel.

Tech demos and other misc stuff. These make the most sense for actual uploading to the HLP channel, especially if it's big flashy new features or models. We could make our own highlight videos for new SCP releases or something.

Trailers. Yes definitely. Get these on the HLP channel. These are promotional, so duplication shouldn't matter.

Finally, I'd suggest this is a great place for some modding tutorials specific to FS. (FRED, tables, PCS2, etc) This is also a good place to for newbie tutorials like a video run through if the Knossos first-use setup and/discussing graphics flags or other FAQs.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

Just had a look at the mobile version and you make a good point. The HLP logo covers up the Bomber. Perhaps we need something with more going on in the centre of the image?

Any offers anyone?
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Okay, so my three coins dropping into the discussion (heh):

So firstly, I think the HLP logo in the channel would look better displayed against a black/dark background (but I'm swayed, I'm using Youtube dark mode all the time :P).

So, what kind of content can we expect in this channel? Because it's obvious for me that it's going to feature some kind of FSO engine technical novelties or maybe mod trailers/teasers? I have got a few ideas on what we can include here too, and how we can separate this into playlists. For example, create playlists like these:
Getting started! - videos on how to set up Knossos and FSO, some sort of showcase of how FSO functions and settings affect the game, ect... Of course, it should be slapped on the main page.
Gameplay tips and tricks - about: how to get better at playing FSO. Maybe showing some AI behaviours, comparing stats ect.
Freespace Open news - I think this would be a nice place to show off the new functionality and features of FSO when they're introduced. For example, things like Axem's moving arms Sathanas or cloak shaders. Or The E's videos on implementations of HDR/PBR in FSO.
Mod trailers/teasers - just as the name says. If any new big mod gets a trailer or something, it should be featured in this playlist.
The fun corner - funny Freespace videos, like that musical Shivan beam. Maybe some memes or funny bugs?
Modding tutorials - videos on how to set up mods on Knossos, use FRED, PCS2, make models, write scripts ect. ect. And I think Asteroth's (?) FRED tutorial streams could fit here?
Interviews and discussions - As the name suggests. I think the dev commentaries from one of BP-related channels and Firesteel's videos would fit in.

Maybe there would be even place for some streams, like Firesteel did on Twitch earlier?

I also think that there's a better way to upload videos than just be provided with a video file and having to upload it yourself. I think Youtube allows for multiple users to use the same channel and upload videos to it, but I'm not sure how that exactly works. This would eliminate the need to effectively upload the same video twice and the requirement of your presence to make uploads.

There's also a question whether you're thinking of bringing old clips from other users over to this channel, or just inserting them in playlists. I personally think it would be the best if every new FSO video was appearing on this specific channel. Maybe we could negotiate a bit with people who are making Freespace videos on their own right now so that they would entirely move their videos here?

All great suggestions :-)

Re other people being able to upload stuff. Yup, sounds good to me, so long as the content isn't something that will get community strikes and the like. I may not be able to devote as much time to HLP promotion as I have recently for much longer what with job, life, kids etc. so other people being able to do stuff without me would be very handy for everyone.

Re other peoples videos. Hummm... not sure. I added vids to the like videos playlist just so the channel had something on it. Ideally we would want original 'in-house' content on the channel. Cool vids from other channels can be added to the liked vids playlist. Probably better than trying to migrate them over. 

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Guys... Getting other's work hosted on the HLP channel is the wrong way to go.

Let's Plays are generally the work of people trying to grow their own channel. No one doing that is going to hand HLP their views and watch time. I'd also suggest that Let's Plays are outside the scope of a channel like this, but I'll get to that. Having an HLP playlist of Let's Plays is the best way to go here.

Original work (cutscenes and the like). Being one who fits in this category... I don't want to hand over my views. I worked my ass off on these and gave them away for free. The least I can ask for is to get the YouTube credit. With that said, doubly uploading these (unless the artist is ok with it) would be kind of a dick move. Again, link to or playlist these from the HLP channel.

Tech demos and other misc stuff. These make the most sense for actual uploading to the HLP channel, especially if it's big flashy new features or models. We could make our own highlight videos for new SCP releases or something.

Trailers. Yes definitely. Get these on the HLP channel. These are promotional, so duplication shouldn't matter.

Finally, I'd suggest this is a great place for some modding tutorials specific to FS. (FRED, tables, PCS2, etc) This is also a good place to for newbie tutorials like a video run through if the Knossos first-use setup and/discussing graphics flags or other FAQs.

Yup, agree with all this. I'm looking into how some of the playlist functions work. Ideally I would like to be able to create multiple liked playlists. So for example, if we found someone had done a particularly good play-through of a campaign, that could be a separate liked playlist.

I'm afraid what MJN said applies to most YouTubers, just that it will be much harder to fill the channel with content, so it would rather become a collection of playlists... Trailers for HLP projects are scarce, and modding tutorial videos...are there any?

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I'm afraid what MJN said applies to most YouTubers, just that it will be much harder to fill the channel with content, so it would rather become a collection of playlists... Trailers for HLP projects are scarce, and modding tutorial videos...are there any?

Modding tutorial videos. I haven't seen any, but if someone were to make some that would be great. The channel can be whatever HLP wants it to be really. Now that it has been set up people can create and upload/submit new content as and when they see fit.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

Just had a look at the mobile version and you make a good point. The HLP logo covers up the Bomber. Perhaps we need something with more going on in the centre of the image?

Any offers anyone?

Horizontally flip the image?

Otherwise I'm happy to have another go, just need to find some inspiration...
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Which brings me to the part I said I'd get to but didn't. I see the channel more like a studio PR channel than a "place for all freespace content". The channel would link relevant videos uploaded by others about Freespace. The channel's own content would be less videos that people actually made and more about the things the community is doing. For example...

-Instead of text interviews, you could do video (or audio) interviews.
-Instead of posting a highlighted campaign in the announcements, you could have someone representing HLP play a bit of it and talk about it. This would be especially great for new campaigns. I'm not talking full playthroughs, but get a recommended mission from the dev, play that, and talk about things related to that release.. then end the video with a "and it's available to play right now. Download link in the description".
-Like the above, but look at new model/asset releases.
-Home-brewed trailers for major SCP features and/or releases

Finally, it's important to recognize we are passionate about a very old game in a very niche game genre these days. Be prepared for low views for a while otherwise we'll get discouraged. The only way to increase those views (and our playerbase) is to get things out there for people to watch in the first place.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

Any offers anyone?

Horizontally flip the image?

Otherwise I'm happy to have another go, just need to find some inspiration...

That helped :-)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Which brings me to the part I said I'd get to but didn't. I see the channel more like a studio PR channel than a "place for all freespace content". The channel would link relevant videos uploaded by others about Freespace. The channel's own content would be less videos that people actually made and more about the things the community is doing. For example...

-Instead of text interviews, you could do video (or audio) interviews.
-Instead of posting a highlighted campaign in the announcements, you could have someone representing HLP play a bit of it and talk about it. This would be especially great for new campaigns. I'm not talking full playthroughs, but get a recommended mission from the dev, play that, and talk about things related to that release.. then end the video with a "and it's available to play right now. Download link in the description".
-Like the above, but look at new model/asset releases.
-Home-brewed trailers for major SCP features and/or releases

Finally, it's important to recognize we are passionate about a very old game in a very niche game genre these days. Be prepared for low views for a while otherwise we'll get discouraged. The only way to increase those views (and our playerbase) is to get things out there for people to watch in the first place.

Yup, sounds good. There are a lot of FS playthroughs out there already, which we can link to, so there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Having this as a 'what HLP has done and is doing now' channel sounds like the right way to go, since the content out there at the moment does not cover this.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Bit late to the party but I support the playlist method.   It's what most of the channels I follow do.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.