Author Topic: Hi Poly Elysium  (Read 22539 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
If you're having any problems with it, let me know and I'll try to fix them as soon as I can.
Unless it's just me, LODs 2 and 3 are flipped.  LOD3 has a good bit more detail (polys) on it than LOD2 does.

But other than that, this thing looks awesome!   :yes: :yes:

Offline Axem

Hmm... that's really odd. I had this problem before, but I thought I fixed it.

I just tried reconverting it and PCS shows the right models for LOD2 and LOD3, but Modelview and ingame say otherwise...

Offline neoterran

holy crap, awesome job ! was that quick or what ? I know it was a small model, but maybe you can help the mappers of some of the other projects that have been long in the tooth <cough> HTL ICENI </cough>
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

I just tried reconverting it and PCS shows the right models for LOD2 and LOD3, but Modelview and ingame say otherwise...

tried deleting the old IBX file?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor

tried deleting the old IBX file?
I keep all of my IBX files in the same VP as the POF, so they always match.  Plus, it can't use the same IBX file since the POF checksum is different and if an IBX file with the same name already exists on disk then it will be deleted and a new one created.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
basically, the IBX is changed every time a model different then the one specified is used. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I seriously just set that shot as my desktop background.  That thing looks real. :)

Offline Axem

holy crap, awesome job ! was that quick or what ? I know it was a small model, but maybe you can help the mappers of some of the other projects that have been long in the tooth <cough> HTL ICENI </cough>

Like I said before, this was easy because there already was a UV map, so mapping it was just a jigsaw puzzle (only I get to make the pieces ;)). I tend not to map other people's work because Wings has a very crappy importer that makes imported models quite difficult to work with.

Here's a pic of the heirarchy of the model. I followed IPAndrew's FreeSpace2 Ship Creation Guide, so in theory, it should be correct.

For any brave soul who wants to take a closer look here's the TrueSpace scene file.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I seem to vaguely remember that PCS works out the LODs from the order they were added NOT from the names.

It's been a while so don't quote me on that but I seem to remember having this same problem a few years back.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I guess it wouldn't be possible to add anything behind the windows, eh?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Has anyone ever figured out a reasonable way that the space behind the windows can be arranged?  You'd need some serious degrees of freedom on that pilot's seat, that's for sure. :p

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Already talked about that... look back.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Not without having to re-do the entire thing. :rolleyes:

[EDIT] Bah, i forgot to quote Mefustae.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 12:47:03 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Well argument over. Have fun! :)

High Poly GTT Elysium

Hopefully everything is all in order. If you're having any problems with it, let me know and I'll try to fix them as soon as I can.

Great planet in background. Where can I get it?  :D

Model is great!  :eek2:
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Axem

Not without having to re-do the entire thing. :rolleyes:

[EDIT] Bah, i forgot to quote Mefustae.

It's not that bad, but still more work than I can be motivated to do right now. Perhaps later. Even then I'd see the poly count get boosted up to 6k to 7k polys.

{303}Shiv: That is one of Lt. Cannonfodder's planets that he has so graciously letting me use for my campaigns. I don't think theres been any offical release for them yet though.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I actually like the way it looks right now much better than I would with any sort of cockpit setup.  The huge opaque windows are too much of a defining character trait of the ship to mess around with.

Offline neoterran

they also look great with env mapping too .
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
does anyone else get those nebula colors on the hulls and canopies/windows with env. mapping on?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Aren't you supposed to?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
does anyone else get those nebula colors on the hulls and canopies/windows with env. mapping on?

Wow. Just... wow.

*smacks with a trout* What do you think environment mapping is?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist