Author Topic: Audio Stuttering  (Read 2129 times)

not sure if this is a huge issue or not, but the audio can skip or stutter, sometimes sounding like a broken record, whether or not you are in a mission or just in the briefing room. at least that is what i am experiencing much of the time. it eventually stops but then picks up again later on. not sure what causes it or how to fix it.

Offline JCQ

• life is hard
    • FREESPACE GAMPLAY VIDS
in task manger force the game executable to use all cores of your cpu, i was having the same issue and that fixed it

is there any way to force the exe to use both cpu's at once from a command switch? for instance by adding it to the shortcut on the launcher? or to script it? or is it really only possible by using task manager once the game is open? this might be a cool feature to implement into the launcher under the debug options...

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
i downloaded Process lasso software...it's free and it save all the CPU affinity you set.

So, when i run Diaspora, it set automatically affinity at 4 cores.

If you want you can buy the complete version whit other useful tools.
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
So, out of curiosity - and I may be way off base here - isn't FSO single-threaded? Can it actually make use of multiple cores?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It's single threaded, but I imagine what's going on is it's no longer stuck to "core1" or whatever core windoze assigns to it, so that it can then have it's process handled by another core if the core it's currently on is choking with disk I/O and sound card functions, etc.  Wild shot in the dark there, but that's the only thing I could imagine was happening, as FSO is, in fact, single-threaded.

Offline JCQ

• life is hard
    • FREESPACE GAMPLAY VIDS
i second the use of process lasso. i use the program very heplful in spreading out the cpu and usineg the cpu effectivly

thanks for the tips guys, i will give process lasso a shot...still would be nice to have something resident in the FSO exe to force cpu affinity...