Author Topic: DX8 branch need help  (Read 18042 times)

Offline Doc Oc

CODERS ONLY: DX8 branch need help
RandomTiger,

d3d_create_texture_sub() is a utility function defined in GrD3DTexture.cpp, starting on line 495. As far as I can tell, it's essentially a wrapper for CreateSurface().

It checks whether the texture's got Alpha, (line 535)

checks the texture's size against the max texture size (for the 256x256 limit on Voodoo cards), makes rectangular textures square if the renderer so desires. (line 548, calling a function defined on 431).

Then it ets scaling factor (line 555), so that textures larger than whatever the max texsize is get downsampled to the max texsize (but I can't find where that happes).

Then it creates and locks the surface, copies the pixels into it (setting the alpha values on the fly (604)), unlocks the texture (681)

checks to see whether the renderer accepts the texture (?) (684) and bugs out if it doesn't.

Then it does a lot of stuff with the video ram that my D3D knowledge is insufficient to understand (696-765) sets a couple more values

and then it exits.

Not the most succesful function specification I ever gave, but it might just put you back on track. Let us know how you fare :D.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2002, 07:45:27 am by 867 »
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

Offline Inquisitor

I like this guy :)
No signature.

Offline RandomTiger

Who is he?
Is he working for us? And if not, why not?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yay, someone who actualy knows what there doing
(as opposed to me;)):nod:
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
he beat me to it, i just started looking at it and i came across it. great work
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline RandomTiger

I think I have a handle on this thing now. Thanks guys.

Offline RandomTiger

I seem to have made a little progress, I think I have textures directly loading from pcx. Everything is in the right place but the palette is totally messed up. Yet again everything is blue! Wish you guys could see it, its really funny.

However jittery ani's were trying to play so Im definely on the right track. Will post when I have more details. Im not going to checkin till I have a lot more sorted out than this.

Progres though, progress!

Offline RandomTiger

PCX's load, theres no need for that TGA crap anymore.
However all is not well. I have decided to stick with 16 bit textures for now but ani's are kind of working.

• [l]Ani's load and play but VERY slowly and seem to interfere with each other[/l]
  • [l]Most 2D alpha polys have gone missing[/l]
  • [l]No font[/l]
  • [l]I have introduced a major series of video memory leaks, doh[/l]
  • [l]16 bit mode crashes[/l]
Old problems that still exist

• [l]Blue lighting[/l]
  • [l]Thruster polys draw in wrong order[/l]
  • [l]Ship polys flicker through each other[/l]
However this is still very good progress I think.
The memory leaks are regretable but they come hand in hand with working ani's.

Im still wanting coding help.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2002, 04:37:00 am by 848 »

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
what was wrong with the blue?
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Its not supposed to be blue.  The color should be neutral unless impacted on by a star and its stars.tbl color.  Later, I would like to get source code changes to set FRED tools to do sun color and ambient color independant of star bitmaps.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Solatar

I'm sorry for posting again, so sue me. :D

Have you looked at the first post in this thread. In the pic did you notice that the Subach HL-7's were blue, and the textures were blue? Well after changing tons of code, that's what he came up with. Now after doing more changing, I think he's got a fix for it. Since it was crossed out in the last post, I assume yu've resolved it. It looks it's coming along quite nicely actually.

Okay Random Tiger, from your list it looks like you've fixed the HUD and blue graphics. I think I might have an idea about the backgrounds, but I'm not sure it would work, or if its been suggested. Anyway, I'm not a coder, so I know jack. Anyway, how's it looking? Can we expect DX8 support in the next source code release?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you got the blue shadeing thing fixed?
great,
could we get a screen of what you have now
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline RandomTiger

The blue lighting was a very silly mistake my me :o
If anyone else had been in the code as well, it would have been spotted.

That picture is out of date. OK, I guess I could put up a new shot.

As for DX8 in the next release that depends on, when the next release is, how much coder help I have, how well the tester list works with tracking down all the card specific bugs and how long it takes to sort out all these bugs.

I wouldnt get excited, DX8 is unlikely to offer direct benifits except perhaps a modist speed increase. This is step 1 of 2. Step two is hardware T&L, once we have that done we are in business.

After DX8 is done, AND ONLY ONCE ALL THE BUGS ARE IRONED OUT FOR EVERYONE, we should make an effort to add some stuff that excites non coders, like ability to handle nice big 32 bit textures and optimise for speed etc.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2002, 04:56:09 am by 848 »

Offline RandomTiger

This shows the thruster problem, but other stuff working

No HUD! Also this shows the extend of the ordering problem!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Topper work, still :)  I'm bloody impressed at the progress, considering how long you've been working on it ;)

Er, keep it up.

Offline Fry_Day

the ordering problem seems very weird! Since I assume you've changed only the lower-level code, and left the high level interface alone, that should not be happening, as the polies are supposed to be sent in the exact same order as they were with the original code.
It seems as if Z-buffering is disabled, since even if they were sent in a wrong order, they should've drawn correctly with z-bufferiong on, which means it's probably some state-change you've missed.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
i must be blind or sumting what exactly is "better" in those pics?
I hate My signature!

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Ashrak
i must be blind or sumting what exactly is "better" in those pics?

it's not blue anymore obviously :rolleyes:
the guy tries to make the thing working for DX8, if you want to compare to the normal FS2 and spot what looks better, I suggest you read this thread a few times, maybe you'll understand...
SCREW CANON!

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Fry_Day
the ordering problem seems very weird! Since I assume you've changed only the lower-level code, and left the high level interface alone, that should not be happening, as the polies are supposed to be sent in the exact same order as they were with the original code.

Replacing the z buffer code was straight forward and I dont think I've disrupted any state changes so Im really at a loss.

OK, Im not trying to be mean but this thead is intended for coders. Could people *please* not fill it with crap. As venom points out most answers are in the thread if you can just read it from the start.

From now on only coders, or people who really know what they are talking about, PLEASE!

Nothings better...yet. (Check the post before the pic ;))

Step 1 is to get DX8 working the same as DX5 (what the current FS2 uses).  Once that is done, then the cool stuff can be added, that's step 2.

RandomTiger, I'm almost set up at home so if you have something specific that a DX8 neophyte could work on, just e-mail me and let me know.